Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just sharing my favorite bike photo (Read 168 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Just sharing my favorite bike photo
07/05/17 at 04:03:36

I began riding about eight months ago at age 47. Got my learners permit, and then my motorcycle licence, within the minimum required time. I initially bought a sports bike, then switched to the Savage/S40 ... been learning/doing my own maintenance and mods.

I used to look at bikers, from the comfort of my climate controlled, surround sound, comfy-seated car - and think "Why would you?" Then I met a lovely lady (a motorcycle rider) who encouraged me to take her bike for a spin. Quickly, I understood why you would!

But there is much more to it. Here in Aus, bikers nod to each other as we pass in opposite directions on the road, 15 people could be sitting in a cafe saying nothing but if another biker turns up, we chat.

Around the same time, I moved to a new house. It's a stone's throw from the Australian MotoGP track. MotoGP is not my thing, but photography is.

There are three well known convoys that make there way here to the island every year for the GP ... as well as the general stream of bikes around that time. The local council paints a blue line on the road to make a third lane. When the GP is over, the bikes use that lane to get off the island. There is only one road to the bridge.

I wandered down to the end of my street last time the GP was on to get a photograph of the Exodus. I was really surprised by the variety of bikes. Everything from sports bikes sporting the '46' of Valentino Rossi to old school Harleys ... and everything in between. As I stood on the embankment, leaning onto the road to get a shot, every fifth biker or so held up a hand in the sign of #1, hang loose, or metal horns. The make of bike, the sub-culture etc didn't matter ... everyone just seemed to love bikes and riding.

This is my favorite photo of anything I've ever shot.

Just sharing  Cool

IMG_7980.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Just sharing my favorite bike photo
Reply #1 - 07/05/17 at 05:50:36

Nice image.

Where I come from bikers stay away from each other.  There's a lot of rivalry and its best to keep a good distance, definitely don't fill up at a gas station with another bike there.

Up north of me there's bike runs and such but nothing like your image.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/05/17 at 06:07:21

Eegore wrote on 07/05/17 at 05:50:36:
 Nice image.

Where I come from bikers stay away from each other.  There's a lot of rivalry and its best to keep a good distance, definitely don't fill up at a gas station with another bike there.

Up north of me there's bike runs and such but nothing like your image.

I do not understand that mindset, a fellow biker is just a friend you  have not met yet.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 07/05/17 at 11:53:59

I do not understand that mindset, a fellow biker is just a friend you  have not met yet.  

Eegore , where you from ?   Around Tn. we Smile and Wave at fellow Bikers .

I saw Wild Hogs at a friends house a few weeks back and there were some "Miss-Guided" Bikers in the movie but ... I think they were a little Mentally ill.  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 07/05/17 at 15:21:10

We get some rivalry. It's kinda expected not all HD riders will nod back. And occasionally sports bike riders will make comments about HD 'tractors' but for the most part there is mutual respect among riders here.

The MotoGP seems to emphasise that camaraderie ☺

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 07/05/17 at 21:07:38

IslandRoad

I like Tractors too , even the Two Wheeled ones !   I've got  Nephew who rides a Sport bike because it don't look like something out of the last Century !    Roll Eyes

He talks about my LS650 like it is a tractor ... but ... I get back at him when I hear him down-shifting to climb the hills .  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #6 - 07/06/17 at 00:42:49

Smiley Smiley

One of my favorite things about the S40 is the way it surprises people off the lights, or through the twisties ... without even trying!

IP Logged
Blade

Sydney   Australia
Reply #7 - 07/06/17 at 05:56:35

We recently lost a great advocate for the biking community in Australia- Greg Hirst was an activist, charity worker, bike show organiser, TV presenter, marriage celebrant etc...etc....and one of the finest gentlemen to walk the planet.

I had the privilege to attend his funeral where several hundred (maybe 2000?) attended with many riding as cortege with the hearse. 1% members rode beside sports bikes who rode beside trikes. Brotherhood was his club and Brotherhood is what it is all about.

A video of the cortege:
https://www.facebook.com/ParramattaHolroydSun/videos/1178633925597225/

Hirsty_funeral.jpg
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 07/06/17 at 13:06:20

Wow. Powerful stuff.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #9 - 07/07/17 at 14:30:05

gday IR. nice photo. I've never been to PI but it's on my list of things to do. you have some wonderful roads in your neck of the woods. hope you get to enjoy some when the weather warms up. about 3 hours from you, at orbost, the Bonang highway. like the Dragon but 10x better, because it's 10x longer, little used and no cops. maybe I'll bump into you sometime. we have a track day planned for mt gambier in oct, might take a few extra days and do the GOR. PI is just a stone's throw from Torquay  Wink .

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #10 - 07/08/17 at 07:20:42

Hey Gizzo,

Well, if you do make it down this way, just let me know. I'm sure we can arrange 'bumping into each other'  Wink

Yes, there are some great roads around here. And it's all country/rural/hills/coast. The roads are pretty decently maintained too.

The Great Ocean Road is one I wouldn't mind riding as well. I drove from the Southeast Suburbs, through Melbourne, Geelong, then on the GOR to Apollo Bay, The Twelve Apostles, and Loch Ard Gorge, in my little 1200, 4 cyl car when I was about 20 - It was a fun drive. Would be terrific on the bike!

gizzo wrote on 07/07/17 at 14:30:05:
gday IR. nice photo. I've never been to PI but it's on my list of things to do. you have some wonderful roads in your neck of the woods. hope you get to enjoy some when the weather warms up. about 3 hours from you, at orbost, the Bonang highway. like the Dragon but 10x better, because it's 10x longer, little used and no cops. maybe I'll bump into you sometime. we have a track day planned for mt gambier in oct, might take a few extra days and do the GOR. PI is just a stone's throw from Torquay  Wink .

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/10/17 at 19:58:59

IR, sent you a PM

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 07/10/17 at 23:11:57

gizzo wrote on 07/10/17 at 19:58:59:
IR, sent you a PM

Sent one back  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:36:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Just sharing my favorite bike photo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.