justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Prepare to Unmount
07/11/17 at 07:08:39

Unmount!
Lee Marvins immortal words.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/video-what-to-do-when-youre-into-a-turn...

A reminder. And what would have happened to the guy if he Had been hurt and nobody saw him go over?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Prepare to Unmount
Reply #1 - 07/11/17 at 07:47:51

Last year 2 riders went over the hill on the Tail of the Dragon, and they weren't found until the next day.  I believe 1 of them died......the front rider got on the brakes and his buddy hit him from behind and knocked them both over the edge.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 07/11/17 at 08:13:43

I wouldn't think of pushing it the first pass through.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/11/17 at 08:21:59

Something to think about.  Sometimes I've found myself entering a turn too fast and I think to myself lean, lean, lean!  It works.  There seems to always be a little wiggle room to lean more and I'm always amazed that the tires keep sticking.  But, and it is a big but, I don't ride to the max, I always try to leave a little extra room and time to do what I might have to do when something unexpected happens.  I don't like to ride in groups for that very reason.  In a group, sometimes, there is a tendency to ride beyond your usual limits to keep up with your buddies.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/11/17 at 08:22:57

The issue with the Dragon is that some of the curves are pretty tight, and some don't have anyway to look ahead as the hillside and trees block your view - but worst of all are the sharp corners with no view and a decreasing radius....they just keep getting tighter.  The curve you see at the entrance may not be the same one you will have in the middle or exit.

This not only can create a problem for you - it can also be a problem for the large RV that drifts over the centerline and is coming right at you! Shocked

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/11/17 at 08:29:02

His problem may matter more to me than him.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 07/11/17 at 09:04:34

engineer wrote on 07/11/17 at 08:21:59:
Sometimes I've found myself entering a turn too fast and I think to myself lean, lean, lean!  It works.

It sure does. I'd take a low-side crash any day over a trajectory that takes me across on-coming traffic. Look where you want to go...not at the thing you are trying to avoid.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/11/17 at 09:20:05

Look where you want to go.

Always a good idea, but what about when a wall of mountain stands there? Anything but the hazard is a better choice.
I think he was in the wrong place when it was time to start in. But he only made it worse from there.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/11/17 at 10:39:42

Motorcycles don't fly,..  not far anyway... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 07/11/17 at 17:44:30

Serowbot wrote on 07/11/17 at 10:39:42:
Motorcycles don't fly,..  not far anyway... Huh

I have suspected that for a while now. 🚁😎

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 07/11/17 at 18:21:05

Sometimes you have to make that choice to lay it down. Its that split second decision that may save your life !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/11/17 at 19:22:55

I agree with Ruttly.I've been there.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/11/17 at 19:31:42

And NEVER put your feet out!  OMG.  If you watch the YouTube video, the rider says his backpack shifted and he lost control.  Looked bad, but he will be fine.  I'm surprised the picked him with a copter.  He said his legs were fine.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 07/11/17 at 20:31:23

Even more important when your sliding down the road , yes never put arms or legs out while falling , this sound crazy but get to the ground ASAP then spread you arm & legs out , this spreads out your weight evenly ! You might slide a good distance , try to look around while sliding see where your going and see what's behind you , sounds like a lot to do in a short time but it all feels like slow motion. And make absolutely sure not to sit up stay flat and most important DO NOT STAND UP , make absolutely sure you have stopped sliding or you will be doing back flips or cartwheels or moonwalking in 20 foot strides before you slam back down on the road.  Besides looking like a moron flipping down the road this is where injuries occur. These techniques will increase your chances of getting up and walking away ! Some riders prefer face up sliding while other prefer face down , never on your side , your hips & shoulders bare your weight on your side so that where you wear holes in your gear. Spread out your weight so your gear can do its job, protect your. It's not something you go out and practice but I was taught these simple techniques and I can tell you it works. Everyone gets the rash sooner or later , mine was bad , no freakin fun , get it ! I hope none of you ever the RASH !!!

« Last Edit: 07/12/17 at 03:52:26 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 07/11/17 at 20:43:35

One more thing when sliding do not claw at the ground with your hands gloves are thin and it will pull gloves off. Leaving you digits nothing but bone & flesh. Relax , just go with it , till your sure you have stopped !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:23:01

General CategoryThe Cafe › Prepare to Unmount

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.