Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
new rings? (Read 527 times)
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: new rings?
Reply #30 - 06/30/17 at 15:08:18

no, I do not have much experience , but I am not going to take it to a shop , because the only shop that is around, knows it its the only one, and charges likewise.

IP Logged
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 06/30/17 at 15:13:18

so I talked over the phone to a mechanic at a different shop and he says that as slow as the leakage is I would not lose that much power I would still have 85% of the power at least, and that on some Suzuki 4 wheeler he worked on the rectifier cause the sputtering and no power problem   (I have no Idea how that could be the problem) but I am going to try a compression test after I get it back together.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #32 - 06/30/17 at 15:38:19

Hey savageguy. If your valves are taking several hours to pass a combustion chamber of water (or fuel, whatever) the valves are not the cause of this particular problem. I'm not saying they might not need attention, but if your engine starts and runs fine for a bit then later on starts breaking down, the valves are doing their job adequately. A little weep through the valve seat shows it's not a perfect seal but neither is it going to cause the problems you're having. I have no idea why the rectifier would cause that problem either but when mine gets wet my bike runs like a pile o crap. It's worth looking into.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #33 - 06/30/17 at 18:04:08

A valve warps because of a difference it temp. when he had the problem he drovethe bike 4 miles ,during the intake stroke ,the valve overlap has the intake and the exhaust valves open at the same time the piston moving down draws in fuel and cold outside air due to the exhaust pipe not be connected. this is when the damage (warping of the valves) occurred.When bench testing the valves show only a slight leak,but they are at room temp. When he ran the motor afterward the bike ran better cold,but as the motor heated up power was lost due to the side of the valve facing the combustion chamber expanding at a faster (normal) rate than the side the exhaust port faces ,because the cold air has hardened that side ,the warp then increases and combustion pressure falls. (or maybe I'm just full of it but I'm not as bad as the guys that told you ,you needed rings or that it was the rec-dum fire).Re assemble the bike if you wish but I think you'll find it runs the same as it did before you took it apart.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 06/30/17 at 18:45:54

The gasket, sealer, time, the Chance of having to do it all again, Plus Actually Fix it the next time, you better be real sure it's gonna work or you Could drop a valve and destroy the engine, or just go back in. Either answer is to be avoided.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 06/30/17 at 21:07:08

WORD!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #36 - 06/30/17 at 21:35:33

Gizzo ,"If you can't fix it with a hammer it must be an electrical problem" Smiley You might try looking at the wiring coming out of the left side cover ,the pickup coil and the alternator wires run parallel to each other ,if the insulation has broken down on the alternator wires (100 volts AC) it could cause inductance in the coil pickup circuit ,with the belt tossing water at in the rain,or it could be your spark plug wire. A sunny day and a well aimed garden hose might be a good test probe.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #37 - 07/01/17 at 04:02:05

Not clear to me. Is the head off the bike?
If so, remove the valves. You can make a valve spring compressor with a C clamp and a piece of pipe or PVC. Remove the valves and look at the wear pattern on the faces. Then use some light lapping compound, and lap the valves. Look again. Take a black Sharpie and ink up the contact areas of the valve and seat faces. Using a small amount of light compound, lap the valves again.
At that point, it makes sense to post some pics of the were patterns on the valve and seat faces.
One of my rules in life is that if it takes longer to talk about something than to do it, you should probably just do it.
Practice and exercise called the "Two Handed Push", whereby you push away the keyboard and actually some work  Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #38 - 07/01/17 at 16:00:32

I'd listen to Armen ,and while you have the valves out find a level surface  and roll the valve stems across it with a light behind and check for warped stems.Replacing the exhaust  valves ,guides and seals would cost less than $200 in parts, dropping a valve would ruin the head and valves ,maybe the piston dome and cylinder ,costing 5-7 times that /or looking for a replacement motor$1500? If you pull the valves be sure to remove any burrs from the edges of the groves the keepers set in before pulling the valves stems out of the valve guides to avoid damage to the guides as they may not need replacement ,that would save you the labor and about $50 in parts.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 07/03/17 at 03:51:45

If you mail the head to me - I will pull the valves for you and take a look and let you know what is going on.  If the valve are in poor shape - they will deteriorate quickly and you won't get many miles of use.

The intake valves seldom have any issues - the exhaust valves can last a long time if the engine was running with a good fuel mixtures and never abused.  Long term storage can rust the valves and create pits if the exhaust valves were open when the bike was parked....and a broken cam chain can bend or break valves.

I can sell you a complete head cheaper than your shop wanted for lapping your valves.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1481806563

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 07/04/17 at 12:13:06

I took a look at the rockers and my cam this is what happened

IP Logged
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 07/04/17 at 12:13:38

there is huge lip on the rocker faces.

IP Logged
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 07/04/17 at 12:15:51

would this cause power loss? and apparently I put car oil in my bike

IP Logged
savageguy1

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 07/04/17 at 13:08:52

the pic of the rockers doesnt show up

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #44 - 07/04/17 at 17:07:35

savageguy1 wrote on 07/04/17 at 12:15:51:
would this cause power loss? and apparently I put car oil in my bike

What oil did you use?
How many miles have you run it?

And Yes,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:17:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new rings?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.