Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New S40 Setup Tasks At Dealership? (Read 212 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
New S40 Setup Tasks At Dealership?
06/18/17 at 06:19:35

Hi guys!

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the condition of new S40s arriving at dealerships, and what is involved in "setup"?

I'm reading that most new bikes arrive at the dealership without their battery installed... is that the case with the S40? I'm also reading that many bikes require some assembly related to the handlebars... is that the case with the S40? Any bolts that are routinely checked/tightened? Other stuff needing to be assembled or inspected?

Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New S40 Setup Tasks At Dealership?
Reply #1 - 06/18/17 at 06:47:30

Dang if I know.. If I wanted to, I'd call the service department.
Why?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #2 - 06/18/17 at 07:32:09

I'm considering buying a new S40,  and I have never bought a new vehicle. So, I was doing some research about buying a new vehicle, and I came across information about fees. One of the fees I read about, was the set up fee. I was just curious what's involved with the set up of the bike. Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge of this?

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/18/17 at 07:57:05

Sounds like you're wanting to save the money and do it yourself.
You have more leverage standing there ready to buy.
I doubt they will go for it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 06/18/17 at 08:07:16

I have a feeling they will say legal safety and warranty liability means they have to do it. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/18/17 at 08:13:21

Not like a grill from Lowe's.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 06/18/17 at 08:22:34

They come in crates and there is usually a middleman company that uncrates and assembles the bikes , then being delivered to a dealer.
Just like any vehicle you buy new it goes thru a pre delivery process.
Tightening bolt , checking fluids and checking operation.

And yes you will pay for these services and no they will not let you do it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 06/18/17 at 08:37:43

Thanks, all.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing the PDI myself, or haggling with the dealership about it. I was just curious. It offers insight into dealership behavior, if nothing else... and it also tells me what I should double check OTD, just in case the PDI was done incorrectly.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/18/17 at 10:39:45

Or done at all , some dealer just say it was done and don't do it. I used to work across the street from a assembly company. Getting containers full of crated bikes , it was cool seeing all the newest bike before the dealers did.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Savageman

Knowledge is half
the battle

Marysville, California
Reply #9 - 06/18/17 at 13:25:17

Best thing to do is get your wrenches ready and check all the bolts you are concerned about after you get the bike. Of course check the oil first. You could even pull the battery out and put in a good AGM maintenance free type. That stock Yuasa lead acid is a POS and will leak. Now you know it's done to your specs and liking.  Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/18/17 at 15:42:38

If you don't have antisieze, you should.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 06/18/17 at 19:33:00

First thing you do with any new bike, especially a Suzuki, is tear it down and properly grease everything. Suzuki is notorious for being light on grease and the grease they use isn't the best quality.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 06/18/17 at 23:41:53

One of the best qualities of the S40 is that you can find plenty that are basically new like <500 miles on them. I'm guessing that plenty of people get caught up in the romantic look of the big thumping single cruiser and then the novelty wears off quickly.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/19/17 at 03:40:57

I have worked at 3 motorcycle dealerships - all of them when I was young and either in high school or just starting college.  When the bikes arrive they are in a crate, and they are in pieces that pack together tightly for shipping.  It has been a very long time since I last took a bike out of a crate and assembled it (44 years) - but the first thing that was done was to take the top and sides off the crate, then get the battery and fill it with electrolyte and put it on a charger so it would be ready when you got the bike assembled.  Then the bike needed to be assembled, the front wheel and fender, headlight, instruments, handlebars and fenders were not on the bike, and those had to be installed.  There were a lot of wires to be connected as most of the wires were separate bullet connectors under the seat or in the headlight bucket.  Once all those were on the air in the tires was checked, oil was added to the engine/transmission, all the adjustments on cables were checked, fuel was added and the battery was connected.  On the 2 stroke bikes the adjustment of the oil pump was checked, oil was added to the tank and air was bled from the lines and pump.  The bike was then started and road tested (I love the smell of a new motorcycle).  Depending on the bike it would take 1 - 3 hours to get all this done - the single cylinder enduros were the quickest to assemble - the big multi-cylinder road bikes took the longest.  If the bike were going onto the show room floor for display - the battery was not done and fuel would not be added.

I doubt that any dealership would sell you a motorcycle in the crate, as they need to confirm it is operating properly and they need to fill out the papers for the warranty coverage.

« Last Edit: 06/19/17 at 05:32:27 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 06/19/17 at 03:48:33

I worked for a Suzuki dealership when the first Savages came out and Dave has it nailed to a tee.  Only difference is they very quickly switched to metal crates but otherwise it is all the same at each company!  I agree they will never sell on in the crate due to warranty issues. They need to know it was all done and checked before it goes out the door.  There was only one bike I saw that was not fully done.  It was actually a past model year savage that was sold new, I assembled it but we never put gas in it and never ran it because a guy the owner new well was going to build a cafe bike out of it (that was 1989!).  That is the only one I ever saw go out without the full checkout and signoff being done.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:33:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New S40 Setup Tasks At Dealership?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.