Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What kind of helmet do you like? (Read 276 times)
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: What kind of helmet do you like?
Reply #15 - 06/14/17 at 06:52:28

BSTON wrote on 06/14/17 at 06:29:59:
I've ridden a couple times with other peoples' half helmets and I'm not a fan. The protection is almost non-existent and they were absolute crap when it came to aerodynamics. Both times they felt like they were pulling my head back with all of the wind being caught by the sides of the helmet.

I hate that about open face lids. That and the dynamic lift they make that sucks the helmet up so the chin strap's all that holds it on. The Dragon is different, maybe the visor does something. At 150mph+, it still doesn't have that suctiony feeling. Not that I habitually travel that fast, but it's nice to know what it's like....

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 06/14/17 at 07:09:50

gizzo wrote on 06/14/17 at 06:52:28:
I've ridden a couple times with other peoples' half helmets and I'm not a fan. The protection is almost non-existent and they were absolute crap when it came to aerodynamics. Both times they felt like they were pulling my head back with all of the wind being caught by the sides of the helmet.
-------------------------
I hate that about open face lids. That and the dynamic lift they make that sucks the helmet up so the chin strap's all that holds it on. The Dragon is different, maybe the visor does something. At 150mph+, it still doesn't have that suctiony feeling. Not that I habitually travel that fast, but it's nice to know what it's like....
---------------------------

If that's happening on an open face helmet, then it doesn't fit (too big).   A properly fitting open face helmet actually fits close against the face and won't move around.  The chin strap is mostly to keep it on your head in a crash.  I could probably got 80+ mph with my open face without the chin strap.

Half helmets suck.  I had one and the wind noise the straps make drove me nuts.  

I won't use a motocross helmet on the street.  I used on once when I was younger and a wasp got into my face.  I couldn't get my hand in there to knock the little bastard out!  Had to (hastily) pull over and take the helmet off and I don't like do things hastily on a motorcycle.

Full face or 3/4 (open face) for me all the way.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #17 - 06/15/17 at 01:00:05

I switched from full face to open face after a couple of months of riding. I love the experience of riding with an open face. It's definitely less convenient - with goggles, face mask (when cold), and ear plugs - but worth it to me.

I have a lot of trouble getting helmets to fit. I must have a non-average shaped head! After trying every helmet in three large stores, Bell is the only brand that seems to fit. I still get 'helmet-lift' at high speed, but it's the best I can do.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 06/15/17 at 01:55:59

I have a Scorpion full face helmet that I've been wearing for quite a while now. I mostly settled on it because it fit my head and face the most comfortably. The next helmet I get will hopefully be quieter when it comes to wind noise.  

Same with my Scorpion EXO 500.....the darn thing really makes a lot of wind noise.  It has an internal sun screen that comes down by just flipping a lever and I like that - but the outside of the helmet is huge to make room for that internal shield.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Danmiller369
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 06/15/17 at 11:54:29

AGV

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #20 - 06/16/17 at 17:29:04

I have always been partial to BELL.  I think they were the first to create the "full face" helmet.  When I bought my first one, back in 1968, I had to fill out a measurement form which asked for all sorts of dimensions of my head.  Then sent it to BELL. and after a few weeks, mine arrived in the mail.

What prompted me to get one?  A friend of  mine was racing flat track, and did a "high sider" after someone cut him off on the inside.  He hit a cyclone fence full face.  That helmet saved his life.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 06/19/17 at 05:07:49

This thread got me looking at helmets again.....and I thought that maybe the Bell Qualifier dlx might be a good helmet for me.  It has a port for the Sena communicator, and it has a face shield that is auto-darkening so I don't need the drop down sun visor my current Scorpion helmet has......my Scorpion helmet is loud, and the outside size of my helmet is so big it looks like an astronaut helmet (maybe to make room for the internal sun shield).  However...a lot of reviews say that this Bell helmet is very loud.....and I don't want another loud helmet.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/powersports/helmets/street/qualifier-dlx

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 06/19/17 at 06:27:31

The HJC modular allows the glasses to be on as the helmet is being put on. The modular design means I can open it and talk to people, I just flip it up and go in places, I don't want to carry it or lock it on the bike, so, I wear it.
And it proved itself when I bent the cab corner.
The venting could be better. I don't know how it rates on noise.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #23 - 06/20/17 at 00:19:12

Shark thingy.

003_021.jpg

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 06/21/17 at 00:57:06

I was reminded last night how important it is to buy a helmet that has a removable and washable liner....there have been a bit too many 90 degree hot and sunny rides lately.  My helmet was getting pretty funky smelling - and I pulled out the liner and gave it a good bath in a bucket filled with laundry soap...followed by a couple of rinses in clear water until the rinse water didn't have an bubbles.

My next ride will be a lot more "refreshing"!

Good helmets will have removable and washable liners, and "anti-microbial" fabric.

IP Logged
NHLS650
YaBB Newbies

Ridin' in the 603.

Northern New Hampshire
Reply #25 - 06/22/17 at 03:26:20

With my first motorcycle back in the late 80's, I had a Shoei full face.

With my Savage, I wear half helmets.
They're DOT approved, but I know that are not going to afford as much protection as a 3/4 or full.

My favorite is the one shown here on the bike, but I also have an HJC IS2 that affords more protection[and more wind noise]

RWBhelmet.jpg

God Bless America.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:41:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › What kind of helmet do you like?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.