Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What kind of helmet do you like? (Read 276 times)
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
What kind of helmet do you like?
06/13/17 at 14:45:22

I bought a motocross because it was on clearance for $40 and because it brought back memories of my youth.  Regardless, I took it out yesterday and slipped on sunglasses as opposed to the goggles.  It was an absolute joy to go down the slab, the visor was also a nice touch.  Then a storm rolled in and it was awful going down the interstate in a down pour without any real protection.  

I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it; although, I'll be sure to check the weather moving forward.

Anyway, do you have a helmet you like?

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Re: What kind of helmet do you like?
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 14:54:49

I have worn a Bell 500 ever since the AMA said you must wear a Bell 500 to race back in the late 50's. I change to a new Bell 500 every 3 years.

I am going to try something different soon. My newest Bell sits on my head different than the previous 60 years of models did. The darned thing sits too low and I can barely get my eye glasses on.

The safest helmet to own is the one that you are going to wear every time you get on a motorbike.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 14:56:58

I used to dislike FF because I felt restricted and thought it hindered my view and ability to hear things around me, but now that I am used to it I almost always only wear it. I rarely wear my half anymore.

I have a HJC CL16.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/13/17 at 15:06:04

Previous helmet was a Fulmer AFD4 full face.  Had it for a couple years too long so bought a new one because of the age and also wanted less wind noise.  Currently wearing the HJC IS17 but not happy with the wind noise.  I like the fit for me and it's well made.

I was hit by a car on my motorcycle when I was 17.  Flew over the car and landed on my face.  Even though I was wearing a FF helmet, it was pushed up and my chin/jaw took the impact.  It was pretty bad.  Should anything happen in the future, I'm hoping for a better outcome.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 06/13/17 at 16:51:52

I have more helmets then anyone should. Like the Billy Joel song goes, "it all depends upon your appetite". I have four different full face (Shoei, HJC, AGV & Scorpion), two different 3/4 (an HJC with a plastic shield and sun visor, the other just an old school 3/4), a Bell MX-9 Adventure/Supermoto, and many HJC dirt bike helmets.

I was just looking at Bell 3/4's....

« Last Edit: 06/14/17 at 08:07:46 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/13/17 at 17:46:51

HJC modular.  I face plant tested one on the cab corner of a pickup.
The Hurt report did an analysis of the injuries from bike wrecks.
The face took the majority of head injuries .

Full face modular please.

One crash, a helmet would have been fatal.
Another total, no helmet, head never touched anything.
Third total, my face would have been crushed .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 17:55:58

Like JOG I like my HJC modular but only use it when the weather is cool.  On hot days I use a HJC 3/4 helmet because it seems to be a little cooler plus it has a built in tinted shield that can be lowered into place behind the regular face shield.  Only one problem, the liner doesn't come out and it is beginning to smell a little stale after a long ride on a very hot day last summer.

So next set of helmets will likely have removable cleanable liners.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 18:31:39

Been using HJC full face flip up helmets for a few years. Seem to be well made, and not a million dollars.
Decided I wanted a nicer hat. Better padding, better ventilation, and quieter. Bought a Shoei flip up (Neo-Tech) just before a long trip. Very nice helmet. Def quieter, but still not great as far as ventilation goes.
A nice piece.
Haven't worn an open face since '78. Kinda like my face the way it is.
-Armen

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/13/17 at 20:35:33

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 06/14/17 at 05:29:11

Had a FF once but did not care a lot for it; wear 3/4 mostly with a face shield.
Had 1 accident; landed on my back after some ariel maneuvers;  long time recovering.  No damage at all to head, arms or legs...just the spin and ribs.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #10 - 06/14/17 at 05:33:00

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 06/14/17 at 06:17:27

I'm wearing a Lazer Dragon streetfighter lid mostly. I have a HJC CL15 full face but don't like the way it restricts my vision. I really felt it a few weeks ago at a track day. Felt like I could hardly see out of it. I'll relegate it to pillon duties I think. After that, I tried my partner's Kabuto Aeroblade. much better visibility. I might go look at one for myself. her lid's toosmall for my head anyway. I'll stick with the Dragon for the street, but a new full face willbe a good thing to have anyway. might find myself wearing one more often if I can see out of it.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #12 - 06/14/17 at 06:29:59

I have a Scorpion full face helmet that I've been wearing for quite a while now. I mostly settled on it because it fit my head and face the most comfortably. The next helmet I get will hopefully be quieter when it comes to wind noise.

Before that I had a couple of the modular full face helmets with the flip up chin bar. I really liked those a lot. A couple added benefits are that they are a little easier to put on with the chin bar up and if you regularly ride with other people, it's easier to have a conversation with the chin bar flipped up.

I've ridden a couple times with other peoples' half helmets and I'm not a fan. The protection is almost non-existent and they were absolute crap when it came to aerodynamics. Both times they felt like they were pulling my head back with all of the wind being caught by the sides of the helmet.

IP Logged
BSTON

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #13 - 06/14/17 at 06:30:56

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/17 at 17:46:51:
One crash, a helmet would have been fatal.

I think I saw you mention this in another thread. I'm really curious how a helmet would have been fatal.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/14/17 at 06:36:34

I have a Nolan N-103 modular (no longer made.. unfortunately).  Busted the chin bar release twice.  Nolan fixed it free both times. (Just had to pay shipping to them).
Like it a lot because it has a double pivot that pulls the chin bar back to you when it closes.  Good visibility.
It is getting old, need to get a new one someday.
That Shoei flip up (Neo-Tech) looks nice.. but $600+.. wow. Shocked

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:32:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › What kind of helmet do you like?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.