Highway wobble ?? (Read 197 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Highway wobble ??
06/13/17 at 05:43:53

I'm getting a little front end wandering/wobble when on the freeway at speeds over 60 mph.   Not a violent head shake. I don't ride the freeway often and I don't always get the wobble.  Might be when it's windy.  Not sure.

Forks lowered 2" with spacers. Rear shocks are stock.  Shinko dual sport tires.  Don't remember this happening last year with the forks lowered or when the bike was stock.  Not sure I ever had the bike on the freeway before either.

Any one else experience this?  Is this common with the cafe/tracker/scrambler builds with lowered forks?  Maybe it's a DS tire thing?

Bike rides straight as an arrow otherwise, even with no hands on the bars.  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Highway wobble ??
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 05:49:33

Mine starts meandering around in the long sweepers sometimes. So far it hasn't tossed me in the weeds.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 05:49:50

Windshields can cause this wander, and we had one member who put a large tool roll under the headlight and it caused a wobble.

I have never had any wobble or shake on my Cafe'....the only wiggling starts about an hour into the ride when my rear is getting a bit tired of sitting on that little seat.

Does the wiggle happen on the grooved concrete pavement but go away when you are on asphalt?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/13/17 at 05:50:31

Moto,

Are your tires properly inflated?

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 06/13/17 at 06:03:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/13/17 at 05:49:33:
Mine starts meandering around in the long sweepers sometimes. So far it hasn't tossed me in the weeds.

Not that I have that much experience on THIS bike, but I did find that on my Savage, I had the "wandering" feeling with my old front tire - esp. when it was inflated too much. I just installed a new tire (Michelin) and it did the same when filled (I think) too much.  I had a dealer inflate it to "seat" the beads, and he left it at 45 PSI.  Waaaaaay too much!   I just lowered it down to 30 lbs. and voila!  No more wandering feeling!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/13/17 at 06:21:03

It's Time for the Metzler to go on the front.
The 05 had no windshield or bags and there is a LHsweeper that the speed through was limited by the handlebar oscillation. I don't NEED to find out if it was gonna become unrideable if I went faster.
This one is an 02, windshield, possibly not To The Millimeter perfectly centered and aligned, but daggum close, and bags in the wind. I should hit the sweeper that gave me grief on the other bike and compare.. I've Been on the road, I just don't remember if I hit it climbing toward sixty.  I should check before the tire swap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 06/13/17 at 06:21:27

My cafe is extremely stable.

A few things to check:

- Tire pressure. I'm running 18's front and rear, inflated at 32F and 36R
- Check for uneven wear and tire cupping. If you have either, replace the tire. You'll need to find the source/reason otherwise the new tire will suffer the same fate.
- Check your front wheel bearings. There shouldn't be any lateral movement in the wheel.
- Make sure that the forks, triple clamps and axle are in a neutral or natural alignment.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 06:54:36

Tire pressure is good, I think I set it around 30 psi.  Happens on both grooved and smooth pavement.  Nothing mounted on front.  All bearings are sound.  Tire looks good (probably 2k miles on it), but maybe it's out of balance.  Obviously I'll have to check it out.

Like I said I don't think I even had the bike on the freeway last season, but there are a few areas I would sustain highway speeds for a few minutes.  I don't recall any wobble, but maybe it would have been there.  

I did raise the seat a few inches from last season, but it went straight up.  If I had the guess, I'd say my new seating position would have moved the weight slightly forward.  But I think the front end has the sensation of being light.  Can't quite put my finger on it yet.  One big difference between my bike and most other Ryca style projects is my shorter stock shocks.  Maybe the shorter forks need the longer shocks to...I don't know...plant it?  If that's the case, the the stock forks should really suck.  Not adding up.  Hell, maybe I'm like a big parachute on the bike and I'm pulling the front up!  I just can't put my finger on it.

I have a buyer for the forks that I've been running since I lowered it.  Maybe I'll leave the original forks at their stock length and see if that has any affect on the situation.  

Mostly I was curious if anyone has had similar experience with lowered forks or DS tires.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 06/13/17 at 07:08:41

Ohiomoto,
When you lowered the front end you reduced the trail which didn't help.
Also if you have put any weight on the forks it may aggravate the situation.

We had a hawker 125 jet that had a terrible shimmy in the nose gear, it was completely cured by adding a strategically placed weight,  courtesy of Hawker.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #9 - 06/13/17 at 07:39:00

Did you use spacers to lower forks? If so, there isn't a lot of compliance to that set-up. Not only does it make for an uncomfortable ride; it also allows the front tire to micro-bounce because the suspension can't move quick enough to properly react to the road surface. While this can go unnoticed at low speeds, I would think that it would be quite pronounced about 60mph. Having the shorter shocks does move the weight distribution more towards the back of the bike, making for light steering.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 06/13/17 at 09:02:15

Ohiomoto,
I don't think you are in this territory but I once had a tank slapper. It seemed to last for hours but was only for a few seconds. Don't want that to EVER happen again. :'(

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 06/13/17 at 09:10:34

Yeah, I raced motocross for years.  This is no tank slapper, been there done that, thankfully, always on dirt.  

Just a little shimmy.  Mainly looking for feedback from the guys who have run Ryca style builds to confirm that this isn't the norm before loosing much sleep over it.  

The reduced trail is on the list of suspects, that's why I'm asking the question.  If you think about a Ryca build, they reduce the trail and increase the rake where as I just reduced the trail.  Arguably, my bike should be more stable than a Ryca style build.  

I might take the Freeway home today and sit on tank. LOL 

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #12 - 06/13/17 at 09:24:10

Ohiomoto,
I don't know where Ryca ends up with their trail but I'm sure somebody here knows? It is a tricky area.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 06/13/17 at 09:34:02

It is tricky, because reduced trail can cause a light front end as well as the wobble.  I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" and 250 lbs.  So I am probably decreasing the rake and trail even more.  On the other hand, most Ryca builds are using shocks 2-3" longer than mine.  Hard to believe I'm running less rake and trail than a Ryca.  Then you add tires and the quality of suspension to the equation like Gary pointed out...it could be anything!   Smiley

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 06/13/17 at 09:37:38

I'm running 18's front and rear. With sag set at around 15mm front and 10mm rear I show 28 degrees rake and 3.5 inches of trail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 17:22:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Highway wobble ??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.