Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mirror installation technique (Read 113 times)
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Mirror installation technique
06/08/17 at 07:05:28

Ok guys don't beat me up too much for this question, I'm still new to the Savage.  I recently picked up a set of stock mirrors (thanks again Hamman) but am having trouble getting the proper orientation. On other bikes I've owned the lower mounting stud and mirror stem were separate but it does not appear to be the case on these.  When I spin them on just snug they face about 45° off.  Do I just need to use washers under them to get it right or is there a trick?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Mirror installation technique
Reply #1 - 06/08/17 at 07:07:53

Get the mirror close to where you want it and turn the part the wrench fits on While you prevent the mirror from moving .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/08/17 at 07:09:08

The nut is loose (or should be), and it is used to lock the mirror in place once you have it at the correct angle.

The nuts on your mirrors are either corroded into place, or they have been turned onto the shaft so far that they are tight on the area where the threads are not fully formed.

Put the mirror on the bike and use a wrench to turn the hex portion - if you can't get them to move apply some penetrating oil and try again after the oil has had a chance to loosen things up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #3 - 06/08/17 at 07:12:46

Thanks​!  I will give it a go, I just wanted to ask before applying too much force and ruining something.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #4 - 06/08/17 at 13:05:39

catfishunter99 wrote on 06/08/17 at 07:12:46:
Thanks​!  I will give it a go, I just wanted to ask before applying too much force and ruining something.

☺ I know that feeling. I've looked at many a connector, nut, cap, housing etc on the bike, and thought "I reckon it just needs a bit of force" ... but haven't been game to do it until I'm sure I'm not gonna bust something!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #5 - 06/08/17 at 14:36:00

So I gave them as much torque as I was comfortable with and they wouldn't budge. Soaked them down with penetrating oil.  Can you guys tell me if these are original mirrors or if the style possibly changed?

IMG_20170608_160106911-1036x1842.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/08/17 at 14:41:24

The gap between the stalk and the top of the Nut shows it's not one piece. You gotta get that nut spinning.

Screw it Down, rotating it CW, looking down the stalk .
It's as far up the stalk as possible.

Mirror up , threads down, turn the Nut clockwise.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 06/08/17 at 15:21:04

Have you unscrewed the stems from the handlebar a turn or so, before trying to tighten the nut?

Once you do that, you have to hold the stem to stop it spinning while wrenching the nut.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/08/17 at 15:45:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/17 at 07:07:53:
Get the mirror close to where you want it and turn the part the wrench fits on While you prevent the mirror from moving .

IP Logged
catfishunter99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WI
Reply #9 - 06/08/17 at 16:43:48

Good news! After letting the penetrating oil soak in I was able to free up both nuts.  The inside was rusted up a bit so they were seized like many of you said.  I removed both of them and cleaned up the insides and the threads now they thread on and off by hand.  Put them on lined them and tightened them down go to go!  One happy biker 😀. Thanks for all the advice!

IP Logged
Hamman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/11/17 at 09:12:23

YAHHHHOOOOO! Glad you got the mirrors ok!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mirror installation technique

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.