Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I bad? (Read 215 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I bad?
06/02/17 at 14:26:50

Was swapping bikes at the storage facility. I was trading the Duck out for Thumpy and had just realized I rode down there forgetting the keys for Thumpy - DOH
And a nice lady drove up and started talking to me. She wanted to know about my bikes and was looking to buy a bike herself. I expounded on the virtues of the LS650 and also gave warnings regarding the cam chain tensioner and brakes.

Long story short she's now the proud owner of an 09 S40 her father found used.
It has some sort of aftermarket exhaust and she thinks it's making the bike laggy on the throttle.
I'll take a look at it if I can and advised her to join up here.
I'm a bit worried she's going to blame me now if the bike isn't running too hot. I can't help but feel responsible.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Re: I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I b
Reply #1 - 06/02/17 at 14:33:09

But at least you'll know where to go for all the answers!! Seriously, do a carb rejet/reshim for her and make a friend for life! Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/02/17 at 14:33:35

It's a little dangerous giving advice, since it's second hand with at least one "mod" she may learn to love it or hate  it. We can only hope she loves it.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 06/02/17 at 14:39:16

I'm wishing I didn't throw out my stock muffler now. It might have come in handy after all.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 06/02/17 at 16:05:20

I still had the stock 05 muffler when I was working on getting the Dyna mounted...
I don't ditch stuff, even if I'm not using it NOW and have no plans to ever use it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/02/17 at 18:42:47

No your not bad......Ruttly has that position for the moment. Wink

I was at the local Honda dealer a few days ago, and I saw the new version of the Rebel.  The one I saw was the small 300cc single.....it looked pretty darn cool - it was far better looking than the last version.  It did look pretty small though, and a 300 single is not going to go down the road like a Savage - but the 500 twin version probably can!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 06/02/17 at 18:59:39

Advise the lady that there are probably some stock mufflers for sale on this site. In a sense it's a pity she didn't start with an entirely stock bike, then SHE chooses when and if to mod, bob, customise or whatever.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/02/17 at 19:45:07

I went for a test ride of the new Honda 500 twin this week. It is not a very pretty bike in the traditional way. The seat is way too low for the average American male. The bike runs good and sounds OK.

I would like to have one, but I had the feeling the salesman usually sold driveway sealer to elderly women when he appraised my S40. I will wait until the used Rebels hit Craig's List in a few months.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/02/17 at 19:52:34

Trade in is less than retail.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #9 - 06/02/17 at 19:59:07

Justin,

I already know the trade in will be less than retail, but holy cow for a 2013 bike that is show room clean with only 8000 miles I think it should be worth a little more than $2000.00.

This is why a Harley is always a good investment compared to rice burners.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 06/02/17 at 20:12:58

No your not bad......Ruttly has that position for the moment.  Grin

Dave , Who did I piss off now ? Shoot me a PM I must have missed something. Don't want to be accused of highjacking this topic. Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #11 - 06/02/17 at 21:31:28

Kenny G wrote on 06/02/17 at 19:59:07:
Justin,

I already know the trade in will be less than retail, but holy cow for a 2013 bike that is show room clean with only 8000 miles I think it should be worth a little more than $2000.00.

This is why a Harley is always a good investment compared to rice burners.

Kenny G Undecided

If it makes you feel better about that quote I got 2k for my 2012 with 1500 miles on it as a trade in. Granted I traded it in for a Honda CTX700 a 2014 new leftover with 1 mile on it the fairing model which was $3999 and there is still 1 left at my local dealer for that price.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #12 - 06/02/17 at 21:42:42

JarHead,

It sounded like you got a bargain price on your purchase  and that may have affected how much you received for a trade in. I will be paying the full list price with no discounts at all.

If I decide I must have a new bike I will sell my S40 on Craig's List., and keep an eye out on Craig's for a Harley Street 500 which would not be my first choice. Since I have the Blast there is no rush to get the next bike so I will wait and see if a Rebel 500 shows up on Craig's.

Most of the time that I purchased automobiles I would try the Honda Dealer first and after the salesman proved how much smarter he was than me I would go next door and buy a new Toyota. After Toyota started having there recall of the month I got rid of the last one and bought a new Hyundai. I have had the Hyundai 6 years this month and never had a recall on it. Good car.

Kenny G  Undecided

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 06/02/17 at 21:57:17

Kenny

I sat on a Harley 500 last week ... the mid pegs were mounted so high my knees were above the tank !   :'(    It was very disappointing .    so tell me that Honda did better ???  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Reply #14 - 06/02/17 at 22:09:43

MM,

The Honda was actually worse, I touched my chin with my knees.

My test ride, as agreed to by the Honda dealer, was to Xtreme Upholstery Shop to see about how high the seat could be made. The proprietor thought that we could safely add 3 inches to the seat. I am thinking 3" may make the bike more comfortable. The bike is really smooth, but it is as ugly as a Black Bumper Dunkard Brethren automobile.

I am going to test drive the Street 500 again. When Harley first introduce the 500 I did a test drive and thought it was clumsy compared to a Sportster.  

I would like a liquid cooled twin with fuel injection and cast wheels to reduce the amount of maintenance that I have to do. With the Honda service will always be iffy, the Harley Service Department is reliable almost anyplace in this country.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 12:23:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I bad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.