Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I bad? (Read 215 times)
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Re: I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I b
Reply #15 - 06/02/17 at 22:57:18

I'm just saying my dealer still has a 2014 Honda CTX700 manual with fairing with 0 miles on it for $3999. At first the look was a little weird but the more I drive it the more it grows on me, plus everywhere I go I get compliments and people asking me what kind if bike it is all the time. As for maintenance I got a bottle if Lucas chain oil and spray some on every weekend and that's pretty much it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 06/03/17 at 01:29:38

Ruttly wrote on 06/02/17 at 20:12:58:
No your not bad......Ruttly has that position for the moment.  Grin

Dave , Who did I piss off now ? Shoot me a PM I must have missed something. Don't want to be accused of highjacking this topic. Grin

No current issues.........Just messin' with your head.

Kenny G wrote on 06/02/17 at 22:09:43:
I would like a liquid cooled twin with fuel injection and cast wheels to reduce the amount of maintenance that I have to do.
Kenny G

Sounds to me like you need to go try the Kawasaki Vulcan S.  They are starting to show up around town - which means a few of the owners will soon feel the need to buy a Harley.  I bet used models will start to show up pretty soon.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #17 - 06/03/17 at 05:51:31

I saw a guy riding the green Kawasaki Vulcan S on my way home from work yesterday but I was stuck at a light and couldn't catch up to him. It looked really decent in life.

As for the lady's S40 I'm going to see it today. I'll check it for exhaust leaks and look to see if the air/fuel mixture screw cap is missing. I'm wondering if the previous owner put on a different muffler and didn't adjust or jet the carb to suit.
I have an extra Dyna down in the basement too so if her muffler is junk I could let her have the Dyna cheap.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #18 - 06/03/17 at 06:35:51

Dave,

I looked at the Vulcan S online and other than it weighing about 100 LB more than I would like it is pretty nice.

I found 3 on Craig's list and they are still up about $6000.00, they will be down to $5000 when winter arrives next December.

Meanwhile I am going to go find one to test drive.

Kenny G  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/03/17 at 07:08:40

Went looking for information on the 14model. Now, I didn't write this, so don't hop in a Hum Vee and come lob a grenade at me...

slap a down payment on the counter, that’s fine. Not all bikes are intended for a seasoned, possibly jaded, motorcyclist like you. Remember, Honda still builds everything from its potent CBR1000RR, CBR600RR and CRF450R models to its flagship Gold Wing. And now, for the new, re-entry or female rider, the CTX is represents an unintimidating option designed to get these people on two wheels.

You sure you ain't Air Force? Navy, maybe?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/15/2014-honda-ctx700-ctx700n-first-ride-rev...

Okay, now that I've got you fingering your bayonet, I'll admit that I'm liking what I'm seeing..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #20 - 06/03/17 at 09:39:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/03/17 at 07:08:40:
Went looking for information on the 14model. Now, I didn't write this, so don't hop in a Hum Vee and come lob a grenade at me...

slap a down payment on the counter, that’s fine. Not all bikes are intended for a seasoned, possibly jaded, motorcyclist like you. Remember, Honda still builds everything from its potent CBR1000RR, CBR600RR and CRF450R models to its flagship Gold Wing. And now, for the new, re-entry or female rider, the CTX is represents an unintimidating option designed to get these people on two wheels.

You sure you ain't Air Force? Navy, maybe?

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/15/2014-honda-ctx700-ctx700n-first-ride-rev...

Okay, now that I've got you fingering your bayonet, I'll admit that I'm liking what I'm seeing..

If you get on the ctx700 forum you will see most of the riders stepped down from bigger bikes like big Harleys or gold wings. I used to ride a Honda cbrr600 when I was still in the military but now with a wife and kid and another on the way my budget for a bike was restricted. Would I spend 8k on this bike I don't know maybe but I'm guessing I would buy a slightly used sport bike. But for the $3999 I don't think there is a better bike on the market. If you feel like coming to PA my local dealer still has one at that price point and I'll even let you test drive mine. This is a bike that does everything well, handles well, brakes well, accelerates well, great on gas, comfortable on the highway at cruising speeds, easy to ride in town and comfortable the only thing you won't do is go over 100mph or pop wheelies. So for 4 grand new with factory warranty you can't beat it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 06/03/17 at 15:51:13

o over 100mph or pop wheelies

Wheelies weren't my thing even on a Sting Ray style bicycle.
It's okay with me if 100 MPH is outside the abilities of my bike, as long as it's able to run 75 and 80,, sometimes,,

You're safe.. You'll never watch me ride away on your bike.
PencilVeinYa is too far away.. But thanks for the offer.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #22 - 06/03/17 at 17:19:45

My 100 mile commute is almost done entirely at 70+mph so this thing does that all day and smooth when I get on the highway I'm at 80+ with no problems at all.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/03/17 at 17:31:49

I think you found a good machine.. but I am curious about the transmission.. How is that set up?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 06/03/17 at 17:38:30

philthymike wrote on 06/02/17 at 14:26:50:
Was swapping bikes at the storage facility. I was trading the Duck out for Thumpy and had just realized I rode down there forgetting the keys for Thumpy - DOH
And a nice lady drove up and started talking to me. She wanted to know about my bikes and was looking to buy a bike herself. I expounded on the virtues of the LS650 and also gave warnings regarding the cam chain tensioner and brakes.

Long story short she's now the proud owner of an 09 S40 her father found used.
It has some sort of aftermarket exhaust and she thinks it's making the bike laggy on the throttle.
I'll take a look at it if I can and advised her to join up here.
I'm a bit worried she's going to blame me now if the bike isn't running too hot. I can't help but feel responsible.

Good luck in the Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor trial.   Wink
I know you meant well.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #25 - 06/04/17 at 03:34:00

I feel the same way when someone sees my Enfield and asks about buying one. I always tell them I can't recommend it. I love mine but I don't want to be the bad guy if they buy one on my say so and they get a bad one or hate it. A couple of people have bought another bike because of my anti recommendation and they love what they bought.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #26 - 06/06/17 at 09:22:18

In the past week I have test rode a Honda 500cc Rebel and a Harley Street 750cc.

I have wanted mid controls on my S40 ever since I bought it. I find after test riding the Rebel & the Harley I cannot lift my legs high enough for mid controls.

I guess I will stay with the blast & the S40.

Kenny G

IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 06/06/17 at 10:49:48

As I was leaving Ace hardware, a man about my age (50+) rushed over to ask me about the S40. He'd seen them, thought they were kinda cool (how many street thumpers are there, after all?), but had never talked to an owner. He has a Honda 750 Magna, he said.

Told him the good & the bad, recommended he visit here for more  info. Hope he shows up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:24:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › I convinced a stranger to buy a LS650 - Am I bad?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.