Average MPG - KM/L ? (Read 800 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Average MPG - KM/L ?
Reply #60 - 06/07/17 at 19:31:09

Dave wrote on 06/07/17 at 09:09:52:
Perhaps....but it would have been nice if 5th gear was more suited to the 70 mph speeds the interstate highways allow.

The front pulley mod does that fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #61 - 06/08/17 at 04:54:55

Eegore wrote on 06/07/17 at 19:15:53:
I don't know why people care who is riding a bike, I see nothing in the rules here indicating I need to be physically on a Savage to use these forums so whatever comments there are regarding me riding a bike are just personal issues and have nothing to do with assisting each other.

Here's the deal, people join forums like this one because they love motorcycles, love owning them, love maintaining them, and yes - they love riding them. You admit in one of your early posts that you acquired your bike to "help out a friend". Do don't seem to understand motorcycles, you have unorthodox (even dangerous) ideas as to how to perform maintenance and you clearly don't care much for riding. Imagine bringing home a new girlfriend and asking your neighbors to sleep with her because you really don't have an interest - that's what we see. Oh, the icing on the cake - you ask for advice, you get the best advice available anywhere in the world (short of maybe the Suzuki cubicles where the Savage was designed) - and you tell us why we're wrong and ignore the advice. In my world, we call people like that a-holes.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #62 - 06/08/17 at 05:26:27

Eegore,

I like CO, but the eastern plains has to be a rough life.   Like I said, I don't care much about some of your odd methods.  You seem to have a interest in the Savage.

Batman,  

You might be right except the bike runs better when it's cold which would indicate the exact opposite or a lean condition.   The fact that our jetting is nearly identical (elevation around here is 650-1100) and you are getting better economy tells me that my size and riding conditions might just be that I'm a big guy. Smiley

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 06/08/17 at 05:58:52

Quote- "Here's the deal, people join forums like this one because they love motorcycles, love owning them, love maintaining them, and yes - they love riding them. You admit in one of your early posts that you acquired your bike to "help out a friend". Do don't seem to understand motorcycles, you have unorthodox (even dangerous) ideas as to how to perform maintenance and you clearly don't care much for riding. Imagine bringing home a new girlfriend and asking your neighbors to sleep with her because you really don't have an interest - that's what we see. Oh, the icing on the cake - you ask for advice, you get the best advice available anywhere in the world (short of maybe the Suzuki cubicles where the Savage was designed) - and you tell us why we're wrong and ignore the advice. In my world, we call people like that a-holes. [/quote]

It might help when you "quote" someone to use the actual words.  I did not buy the bike to help out a friend, I bought it because I like the bike, I owned two in the past but I paid more than its value to help out a guy that lost his job.  

But semantics aren't unimportant, the point is you indicate I am saying things I have not said.  I have not said any of you were wrong, however I did question how I could be told a tire wont fit when its on the bike with no rub marks on the swingarm, and other members here use the exact tire.  

I questioned how a noise issue could be a belt tension issue when the belt was cut off and sitting 10 feet away and the noise persisted.  So toss me an example where I actually said anything along the lines of any of the people here being wrong.  Also an example of me posting useless condescending comments in other posts would interest me.

For instance I ask what carb goes on a 95 and it takes forever for someone to answer because people would rather try to convince someone they don't want a new carb than just answering the question.

Imagine you bring home a new girlfriend and ask her what she wants to eat, she says steak and you spend the night telling her she doesn't because other food is cheaper.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #64 - 06/08/17 at 21:58:05

Eegore wrote on 06/07/17 at 19:15:53:
ohiomoto wrote on 06/07/17 at 09:18:21:
Eegore wrote on 06/07/17 at 08:44:13:
.... If wind speeds get dangerous I have the bike loaded on a truck and bring it in that way.  
-----------------------------------

Where do you live that the wind speeds keep your riders from actually riding the bike back?

The bike is in Eastern Colorado.  There's severe winds and storms this time of year so while I'm gone I've instructed people to stop riding and wait for a pickup if certain weather conditions are met.  

I don't know why people care who is riding a bike, I see nothing in the rules here indicating I need to be physically on a Savage to use these forums so whatever comments there are regarding me riding a bike are just personal issues and have nothing to do with assisting each other.

"Assisting each other" ,Now there's a wonderful thought! we have assisted you with all kinds of info which you have completely ignored ,your like talking to a wall! but how have you assisted us? I have concluded by your resent statement that you have previously owned two other savages that the reason you have two or three of everything is that they are now in baskets.I believe under your expert care the bike you have now will soon need its own basket.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #65 - 06/08/17 at 23:02:59

Toss me an example of something Ive "completely ignored".

Also toss me an example of some forum regulation that people must follow given advice in order to not have condescending remarks posted instead of on-topic responses.

I do not have the knowledge to provide a lot of information but Ive sent Dave, free of charge, lights for his LED headlight experiment, which he has publically posted.   Also Ive offered to send any assembly he needs, also I've offered to send a contributing member a used or new carb.  I've sent extra parts, free of charge to people on here.

Maybe that doesn't count, maybe I need to be a mechanic or machinist in order to be a contributor.  What I do know is I don't talk negatively about you, or anyone else on here because I don't have an emotional connection to what other Savage owners do with their bikes.

Lets say I've ran 20 motorcycles into the ground, and there's 20 baskets of motorcycle parts in a junkyard... why do you care?  Have you thought about that?  Nobody makes you log into this forum.

If you have an answer to a question just answer and let it go,  Might save you some stress.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #66 - 06/08/17 at 23:23:41

Eegore wrote on 06/08/17 at 23:02:59:

Also toss me an example of some forum regulation that people must follow given advice in order to not have condescending remarks posted instead of on-topic responses.

There's no regulation, it's just a free added extra that comes with any forum on the interwebs. Everyone's an expert, don'tcha know? Don't worry about it.
Personally, your project seems weird to me but if it makes you happy, more power to ya. That's all that matters to me. Same goes for hardtail builders, moustache waxers, and bling polishers.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #67 - 06/08/17 at 23:25:36

Could you post photos of the exhaust system and the bike? this may help some of the carburettor people to give you accurate information. Please ride the machine yourself, if the wind conditions permit.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #68 - 06/08/17 at 23:28:58

jcstokes wrote on 06/08/17 at 23:25:36:
Could you post photos of the exhaust system and the bike? this may help some of the carburettor people to give you accurate information. Please ride the machine yourself, if the wind conditions permit.

I'll see if I can get something up, I am not where the bike is,.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 06/10/17 at 16:14:31

A link to a YouTube video of the current exhaust plus a pic.

https://youtu.be/kMEAMcg6fB0

LS650Aexhaust1.JPG
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #70 - 06/10/17 at 18:32:20

I take it the video was made before much riding was done, at least the carb people can see the type of exhaust. The rear tyre seems very close to the frame, It may help to know what size the rear tyre is.. Could you post another video and or pictures showing the entire bike? This gives the techies a better idea of what they are dealing with.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #71 - 06/10/17 at 19:28:14

The video was made after 7890 miles were put on it.  Its a 150/90 tire, it has almost 2000 miles on it we estimate.  I'm running it to see where/what fails regarding the belt and pulleys.

As for the exhaust I have no idea what that is.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #72 - 06/10/17 at 22:56:05

My apologies, in the photo, the clutch cable was removed.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #73 - 06/10/17 at 23:38:40

@buster6315And I like buying regular instead of the over-priced higher octane.

I used to think the dearer, higher octane petrols were better because you know they like cost more and have bigger number, but then I discovered what octane really means and that you can damage an engine like the ancient Savage with hi octane gas meant for an engine designed for it.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #74 - 06/11/17 at 00:48:38

eau de sauvage wrote on 06/10/17 at 23:38:40:
@buster6315And I like buying regular instead of the over-priced higher octane.

I used to think the dearer, higher octane petrols were better because you know they like cost more and have bigger number, but then I discovered what octane really means and that you can damage an engine like the ancient Savage with hi octane gas meant for an engine designed for it.

Eau, I worl in a "small engine" workshop (power tools and bikes). I'm not a mechanic BTW. The boss tells me that here in Aus The best fuel for us is the 95 Octane. 98 contains detergents to 'clean' car engines, and 91 also has additives - e10 is rubbish. I've seen pistons pulled from engines that have been run on 91 and 98. It's not pretty!

There's a particular service station near here that heavily markets e10. I reckon their regular fuel is also mixed. When I've filled up there in the past, the bike doesn't run the same. The guys in the workshop can tell if someone is using that fuel just from the smell.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 18:58:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Average MPG - KM/L ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.