Average MPG - KM/L ? (Read 800 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Average MPG - KM/L ?
Reply #45 - 06/07/17 at 07:03:47

I ride mostly back roads with some hills while commuting to work and probably average 45 mph over the course of my ride.  I'm getting mid 44-46 mpg out of every tank with a dyna muffler, 150/50 main/pilot jets, white spacer mod, stock airbox and gearing.   I'd like to bump that up to 50+ mpg.

I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs so maybe I just have to lose a few pounds.   Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #46 - 06/07/17 at 07:25:19

I'd expect strapping a 1/2 sheet of plywood on it would affect the mileage. It's not so much the weight, but the drag that's eating horsepower. Still, at those speeds I'd expect better,even with you sitting up straight.
What handlebars you using?
Is there a lot of stopping and starting?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 06/07/17 at 08:44:13

Both riders have pointed out they feel/hear no noticeable difference between 4th and 5th gear.  I cant recall anything odd when it was on the lift but I was just listening for noise/measuring movement in the shaft, the belt wasn't on yet.

There's no noticeable feedback in the peg or whatever its called used to shift gears on the toe and no sound.  The peg moves but no major RPM changes, no speed increase.  Top speed is tested on a private flat road with older but pretty smooth pavement.  If wind speeds get dangerous I have the bike loaded on a truck and bring it in that way.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 06/07/17 at 08:47:32

The spread between the 4th and 5th gear is very small - we all wish it was bigger.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 06/07/17 at 08:57:15

Dave wrote on 06/07/17 at 08:47:32:
The spread between the 4th and 5th gear is very small - we all wish it was bigger.

I was wondering if that was the case.  Maybe they just started doing it because 5 speeds sell better.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 06/07/17 at 09:09:52

Perhaps....but it would have been nice if 5th gear was more suited to the 70 mph speeds the interstate highways allow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #51 - 06/07/17 at 09:17:18

Ohiomoto,Why are you running a 50 pilot? the stock one should be 52.5 unless you changed it. If you did you may be having to run your idle screw in farther ,keeping the slide from closing fully,and using more fuel at idle and slower speeds, I'd go back to the 52.5 or a 55 pilot and you might see an improvement of one or two mpg.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #52 - 06/07/17 at 09:18:21

Eegore wrote on 06/07/17 at 08:44:13:
.... If wind speeds get dangerous I have the bike loaded on a truck and bring it in that way.  
-----------------------------------

Where do you live that the wind speeds keep your riders from actually riding the bike back?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #53 - 06/07/17 at 09:25:15

He lives in "Never never (ride your own bike) Land"

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #54 - 06/07/17 at 09:34:37

batman wrote on 06/07/17 at 09:17:18:
Ohiomoto,Why are you running a 50 pilot? the stock one should be 52.5 unless you changed it. If you did you may be having to run your idle screw in farther ,keeping the slide from closing fully,and using more fuel at idle and slower speeds.
-------------------------------

PO had 155/55 combo in there and it was too rich.  I was getting low 40s mpg if I was lucky.  The air screw is about 1-1/2 turns out and it has very little affect on overall performance and MPGs.  

I think the bike is still a bit rich on top as it runs a little better in the cool mornings than it does in the afternoons on warmer days.  I gets a bit of a flat spot in the upper mid range as it comes off the needle.  Pulls great off the bottom end in all conditions.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #55 - 06/07/17 at 09:43:28

batman wrote on 06/07/17 at 09:25:15:
He lives in "Never never (ride your own bike) Land"
------------------------------

To be fair, the OP might not be able to ride.  Mitch Payton of Pro Circuit runs highly successful AMA PRO racing teams from a wheelchair.  Maybe he/she runs some sort of Savage team, but I bet they are either a troll or just a little odd in their behavior.  Doesn't really matter to me either way.  They ask questions, are respectful to others and seem to have some sort of motivation for being on here.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #56 - 06/07/17 at 11:33:40

Batman,
Why would Ohiomoto need to turn the idle mixture screw "in" instead of out?

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #57 - 06/07/17 at 15:00:01

Ohiomoto All jets are cumulative ,the fact that you have a flat spot in the mid to high throttle range ,tells me your idle jet is too small .You've already done the spacer mod,and it would be silly to change the needle jet ,jet needle ,that only leaves the pilot jet to blame for your lean condition.It also may be causing you to run a more open throttle to compensate . I would urge you to try the 52.5 pilot and retune your mix screw ,I believe you would no longer have the flat spot in mid range and would really get better mileage,I ran the 52.5/150 with a dyna at 500ft elevation in the Rochester N.Y.  area and avg.48to 52 mpg .(read next post)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #58 - 06/07/17 at 15:10:05

Norm, It 's possible he forgot to turn his idle speed down and the slide was a bit off seat, He did say that when he adjusted the screw he couldn't hear any difference.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 06/07/17 at 19:15:53

ohiomoto wrote on 06/07/17 at 09:18:21:
Eegore wrote on 06/07/17 at 08:44:13:
.... If wind speeds get dangerous I have the bike loaded on a truck and bring it in that way.  
-----------------------------------

Where do you live that the wind speeds keep your riders from actually riding the bike back?

The bike is in Eastern Colorado.  There's severe winds and storms this time of year so while I'm gone I've instructed people to stop riding and wait for a pickup if certain weather conditions are met.  

I don't know why people care who is riding a bike, I see nothing in the rules here indicating I need to be physically on a Savage to use these forums so whatever comments there are regarding me riding a bike are just personal issues and have nothing to do with assisting each other.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 06:51:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Average MPG - KM/L ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.