Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
headlights side by side (Read 218 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
headlights side by side
05/29/17 at 18:31:20

We had the opportunity to compare the standard Savage halogen head light on Lancer's bike, with the Daymaker on Versi's bike, and the led bulb in the regular Savage bucket on my bike. It was obvious the daymaker was the best of the three.

The daymaker was extremely bright with good lighting to the right and left of center and in the center it looked like a spot light.

The led bulb was also extremely bright with the best lighting at the center and then going to the sides in alternating bands of bright and not so bright.

The standard halogen light was not nearly as bright and was visibly yellowish as compared with the above.

I do not know the cost of the led bulb Dave lent me but I suspect that for the money it is the best alternative. Versi, please let everyone know a bit more about your daymaker set up and roughly what it cost.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: headlights side by side
Reply #1 - 05/29/17 at 19:45:36

Did you get a chance to compare them in bright daylight as to which one is most visible at a distance?

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 05/29/17 at 19:56:02

engineer wrote on 05/29/17 at 19:45:36:
Did you get a chance to compare them in bright daylight as to which one is most visible at a distance?

Absolutely no comparison.
When I was in the lead I could easily see springman's light... the only other LED light in the group.  
And seeing his light I knew the group was together as he usually rode cleanup.
Comparing his light against Steve's dual halogen... it looked like it was off.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/29/17 at 20:49:31

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Chrome-LED-Daymaker-Headlight-Mounting-Ring-For-Har...

Mine didn't come with the brackets, but you'll probably need them.
About $50 inc ship.
p/n 7040BB, 40w high, 30w low beam, silver reflector
and came with 2 different cable adapters for canbus or a waterproof connector.
A sticker on the box says Turbo S11 chrome 7 inch R Star V Star M/C

I had a bucket from a Victory Vegas which had the backplate of the adapter, but not the front part.  So it fits loosely and I made a washer from a tire tube... I will need two as it rattles.
I thought it was a great deal at $30

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/30/17 at 05:52:59

I learned a lot about filament vs. LED bulbs this weekend.  The big problem with installing LED bulbs into reflectors made for filament bulbs, is that the location of the LED emitter is not in the same place the filaments are in the bulb.  The result is that the reflector can't direct the LED light where it should go.....and a lot of light shines up beyond the vertical cut off that is supposed to keep it from shining up into oncoming traffic.  The Daymaker style lights are designed to use lenses rather than reflectors, and "good" ones can direct the light better (bad ones are just too bright and a menace....we have a few Jeep owners in my area that really should be arrested for the amount of light they are throwing at everybody.

If TinyPic gets their photo service working again....I can post some photos that show a really big difference in the light pattern created by a filament vs. LED in the same reflector.      

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/30/17 at 06:41:41

I sure hope a workable pairing of lamp/bucket comes out of all of the study.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/30/17 at 07:11:21

There is no doubt that a better than stock Savage light can be found - however just like any of the other improvements done on the Savage, there may not be a "one fits all" solution.

Installing a Silverstar bulb helps......and the change is easy but the bulbs don't last nearly as long as a stock bulb.

The stock reflector can benefit from an LED bulb - we are currently searching for an affordable one to recommend.  The market changes constantly however, and there are hundreds to choose from.  And the stock bucket doesn't have much room inside for cooling braids, fans or cables and drivers associated with a lot of LED units - and the bulb has to work with the rubber seal on the back of the headlight if you don't want your reflector to have moisture and dirt issues.

Bigger headlight buckets can be used, and this allows for bigger and more efficient reflectors.  Then you get into the issue of choosing a reflector, filament bulb or LED.....or daymaker.

They are now starting to make LED units that have the light sources in the location that the filament is on a regular bulb....and these are making it possible to get much more usable light out of the reflector.  Unfortunately this technology is not being used on the $30 Chinese LED's yet....this truly is a "you get what you pay for" technology at the moment.  A lot of these are designed for cars, and they won't work with the rubber seal on the back of the headlight (and headlights are incredibly hard to clean and keep streak and lint free).

Notice in the photo below how the LED units are in the nearly the same place as the filament, and the shields on the LED are also reflectors that direct the light....rather than just blocking it.  (These won't fit in the stock Savage bucket, and they may not work with the rubber seal).

FILLED.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/30/17 at 07:20:17

Soooo Close,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/08/17 at 18:54:26

Here is a site that has LED bulbs listed for about any vehicle.  https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/2005-suzuki-s40-boulevard?make=75&mod...
 After reading this thread I'm considering an LED headlight replacement for visibility reasons (I don't ride at night).  I'm also interested in an LED tail light/brake light replacement.

These guys have a headlight kit that might do the job.  There is also a resistor kit but it doesn't seem to be mandatory except on bikes that monitor the various systems.  Any opinions on the headlight kit or which one of he many tail light "bulbs" would be appropriate.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 06/09/17 at 06:57:55

Engineer,

I am pretty sure this is the tail light bulb I have in my S40 and Ninja:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-w-brak...

It provides proper light in daytime and nighttime, and the flasher technology works as advertised with no extra resistors or accessories required. Plug it in and go.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 06/09/17 at 07:46:07

I have purchased 2 NOE buckets from sporty/dyna's and will be installing 5 3/4"  Daymaker's for REX & the Purple People Eater.
Let there be light !

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/09/17 at 07:58:16

LANCER wrote on 06/09/17 at 07:46:07:
I have purchased 2 NOE buckets from sporty/dyna's and will be installing 5 3/4"  Daymaker's for REX & the Purple People Eater.
Let there be light !

What is an "NOE bucket"?

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 06/09/17 at 20:22:29

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/09/17 at 21:01:50

not that it isn't cheap enough to try, but something fishy about it.

in the hi/low pics... they purposely back the bike up to get the low beam off the door.  cut off might be ok.
specs are 2000/1500 lumens
50000/100000 hours
btw 50000 is 17 years at 8 hours a day   Cool

I'd worry about heat dissipation though, no heat sink at all.

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 06/09/17 at 21:09:59

The heat dissipation is exactly what I was concerned about. I guess I will pass on this one. I do not want to fry anything inside my headlight bucket.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 03:50:58

General CategoryThe Cafe › headlights side by side

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.