Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike not starting after crash (Read 196 times)
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike not starting after crash
05/28/17 at 11:52:31

So I crashed my 1995 Savage a few weeks ago, and the damage isn't too bad, but the bike isn't starting anymore. It slid down the road on its left side and I think some gas got on some of the electronics, but I'm not sure. When I turn the key, the lights come on and the horn works, but when I press the start button, nothing happens, no sound, nothing. I noticed when I put the kickstand up or down, there is a click sound, I can't remember if it made that sound before, so I tried bypassing the kickstand kill switch to make sure that wasn't the issue, but it still doesn't do anything. I just bought a multimeter but I've never done any electrical work so I don't even know where to start.

I'm a young biker trying to learn with little to no automotive experience.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike not starting after crash
Reply #1 - 05/28/17 at 11:58:03

WWW   IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/28/17 at 14:11:10

I bypassed the kickstand switch, didn't work. I tried grounding neutral and it didn't seem to do anything either. I don't believe I have a clutch safety switch, never had to pull the clutch to start it before. I looked over my connectors and they all look to be connected, I have even sprayed some electronic cleaner on them. How would I go about checking the kill switch? I've never used a multimeter before.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 05/29/17 at 10:40:57

Chaz , check your fuses (pull and use your meter on the Ohms scale),check your battery,(cracks ,water level, ,connections at the posts,ground at the side case near the oil site glass)and charge (meter on DC volts scale ) placed across the posts ,should read slightly over 12v.  next remove the seat, bolted to the rear fender is the starter solenoid ,four connections ,two large ,two small ,pull the latter two , turn the bike on ,place the kill switch on hit the start button, with the meter across the two wires you should read 12 volts if the switches are BOTH good. if they are place them back on ,move your meter to the large cables  and press the start button again to see if you send power to the starter , if not your solenoid could be hung up from the crash,you could try tapping on it (gently) and try again ,no luck ,you'll need to replace it. but before you do ,get a set of jumper cables ,using just half ,run power from one large cable to the other ,(bypassing the solenoid ) to see if the starter runs. You should also check your side stand and clutch switches to make sure you bypassed them.

« Last Edit: 05/29/17 at 16:29:22 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/29/17 at 22:36:57

batman wrote on 05/29/17 at 10:40:57:
Chaz , check your fuses (pull and use your meter on the Ohms scale),check your battery,(cracks ,water level, ,connections at the posts,ground at the side case near the oil site glass)and charge (meter on DC volts scale ) placed across the posts ,should read slightly over 12v.  next remove the seat, bolted to the rear fender is the starter solenoid ,four connections ,two large ,two small ,pull the latter two , turn the bike on ,place the kill switch on hit the start button, with the meter across the two wires you should read 12 volts if the switches are BOTH good. if they are place them back on ,move your meter to the large cables  and press the start button again to see if you send power to the starter , if not your solenoid could be hung up from the crash,you could try tapping on it (gently) and try again ,no luck ,you'll need to replace it. but before you do ,get a set of jumper cables ,using just half ,run power from one large cable to the other ,(bypassing the solenoid ) to see if the starter runs. You should also check your side stand and clutch switches to make sure you bypassed them.

Thanks for the help. I checked the fuses and they're still good. I tried checking the starter solenoid and seemed to get about 12 volts without pressing the start button and no matter what position the kill switch was in. I probably did something wrong though. I haven't tried bypassing it yet. But here is one thing I noticed, this small black box clicks every time the kickstand safety switch is pushed in or out. https://youtu.be/AAp6m5JqPJs

Here is pictures of the thing, I'm assuming its a relay of sorts. It was also pretty hot to the touch. Is it normal for it to be clicking and for it to be hot? What even is it? http://imgur.com/a/Sy5U4

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/29/17 at 23:00:40

It's the kick stand relay.
I don't think anyone had a problem with it before.
but if it's making noise and it's hot, might be a good idea to replace it.

If you were around the corner I'd give you one.
but I have no idea where you are?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 05/30/17 at 06:46:38

Most relays have a diagram showing the way it's designed inside. You should be able to bypass the relay, connecting the wires to act like the contacts are closed. That would get it running. Or, prove there is another problem.
I'm not recommending that safety be bypassed and left that way. That's your call.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 05/30/17 at 09:42:52

Maybe I shouldn't ask the obvious - but is the Kill Switch on the right side of the handlebar in the RUN position?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #8 - 05/30/17 at 09:53:41

"Maybe I shouldn't ask the obvious - but is the Kill Switch on the right side of the handlebar in the RUN position? "

Been there, done that. I don't use the handle bar kill switches. I shut off using the key. Since I started riding before bikes were equipped with kill switches, I tend to forget about them.

Does the Savage kill switch also kill the starter? I can't remember. On my Honda CX500, it just kills the ignition but the starter will still crank the engine. Talk about grinding away on the starter with no results!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #9 - 05/30/17 at 12:41:32

Yeah, the kill switch kills the starter too.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/30/17 at 20:40:42

Dave wrote on 05/30/17 at 09:42:52:
Maybe I shouldn't ask the obvious - but is the Kill Switch on the right side of the handlebar in the RUN position?

Yeah it is lol. I'm going to try and figure out how to bypass the kickstand relay tomorrow and see what happens.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 05/30/17 at 21:51:27

Chaz ,you said you tried grounding one of the wires from the sidestand, you should just unplug the connecter and jump the two wires together,the same with the two wires run to the clutch switch ,which you need to check .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 05/31/17 at 02:45:59

The neutral light and the sidestand switch work together - does your neutral light still work?

Your bike should start and run with the sidestand down, as long as the neutral light is on.

The Savage has a clutch safety switch, and unless someone has disabled it - there is a switch up at the clutch lever.  When you pull in the clutch, the starter circuit is completed - the starter will not work if the clutch safety switch is not engaged.  Check to be sure the wires are connected under the clutch lever.  You can pull off the wires from the switch and run a jumper wire between them if you want to confirm the switch is (or isn't) the problem.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Chaz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/31/17 at 08:41:50

Dave wrote on 05/31/17 at 02:45:59:
The neutral light and the sidestand switch work together - does your neutral light still work?

Your bike should start and run with the sidestand down, as long as the neutral light is on.

The Savage has a clutch safety switch, and unless someone has disabled it - there is a switch up at the clutch lever.  When you pull in the clutch, the starter circuit is completed - the starter will not work if the clutch safety switch is not engaged.  Check to be sure the wires are connected under the clutch lever.  You can pull off the wires from the switch and run a jumper wire between them if you want to confirm the switch is (or isn't) the problem.

My neutral light never worked, I don't know if the light itself is dead or if the wire to it doesn't work. I never looked into it. I'll check for the clutch safety switch when I get home from work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/31/17 at 09:16:00

Here's the full ig circuit with safeties.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:28:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike not starting after crash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.