Send Topic Print
Floppy front end? (Read 200 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Floppy front end?
Reply #15 - 05/19/17 at 11:31:16

Fork dive and fork flex are two unrelated issues.

Fork dive (aka floppiness in this thread) is a result of a spring rate that does not match the bike and rider combined weight and damping that allows the fork to compress in an uncontrolled or undesirable manner.

Fork flex is a result of the fork stanchions twisting while under load during a turn. The savage forks are prone to this behavior due to the thin stanchions (37mm) used and the rake of the forks. A fork brace can significantly reduce the amount of fork flex. In extreme cases (which the Savage is susceptible) fork flex can lead to tire cupping.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #16 - 05/19/17 at 11:51:16

bobert_FSO wrote on 05/19/17 at 10:42:34:
I'm with Batman. I think the term "floppy" is not doesn't refer to the front end flexing, but rather the tendency of a bike with a large rake to have the front wheel fall or "flop" to the side at slow speeds. This requires the rider to more actively steer the bike at slow speeds.

I agree.

From the article:

"But under 10 mph those short, high-rise bars and the skinny 19-inch front wheel combine to make one of the floppiest front ends we've experienced."

The highlighted part of the quote is an exaggeration, but the savage front wheel does have a tendency to fall into a turn at extremely slow speeds. It isn't really much of an issue though, just something to be aware of. It's not a defect, or an engineering shortcoming either. It's just a function of the steering geometry, which is perfectly fine at normal riding speeds.

"

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #17 - 05/19/17 at 13:22:29

Referring to Stewmills comment about "tar snakes" can you tell us what brand your tyres are?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #18 - 05/19/17 at 17:43:49

oldNslow wrote on 05/19/17 at 11:51:16:
bobert_FSO wrote on 05/19/17 at 10:42:34:
I'm with Batman. I think the term "floppy" is not doesn't refer to the front end flexing, but rather the tendency of a bike with a large rake to have the front wheel fall or "flop" to the side at slow speeds. This requires the rider to more actively steer the bike at slow speeds.

I agree.

From the article:

"But under 10 mph those short, high-rise bars and the skinny 19-inch front wheel combine to make one of the floppiest front ends we've experienced."

The highlighted part of the quote is an exaggeration, but the savage front wheel does have a tendency to fall into a turn at extremely slow speeds. It isn't really much of an issue though, just something to be aware of. It's not a defect, or an engineering shortcoming either. It's just a function of the steering geometry, which is perfectly fine at normal riding speeds.

"

I also took it to mean 'falling into a corner' at slow speed. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started riding this bike. I found slightly wider handlebars made a huge difference; then lowering them a touch, basically eliminated it all together. I assume due to better leverage.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:01:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Floppy front end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.