Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Throttle increase when turning left (Read 213 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Throttle increase when turning left
05/05/17 at 06:58:40

I'm assuming that there's a pinch in the throttle cable or something similar since now when I turn left I have an increase in throttle.  

I've had drag bars on so there's extra cable, but ever since my bike was returned I've noticed a speed increase only when turning the bars left.  

Should I just get a new cable/grip assembly and cut it to size or is there a recommended method for making adjustments?

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Throttle increase when turning left
Reply #1 - 05/05/17 at 07:14:27

"...ever since my bike was returned..."
Returned from where/whom?  If a shop had it, I would take it back to them.
Otherwise, I would pull the tank, check the length of the cable and both ends for anything that looks a little "off".  Post a couple pics and we can compare to ours to see if we can spot any differences.
If the throttle is increase when the bars are turned, you definitely have some tension on the cable somewhere; especially if this is new.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/05/17 at 07:26:54

Once upon a time it worked okay.
Since you " got it back " it acts weird.
So, you're thinking about replacing parts.
I'm guessing someone had the tank off.
Whoever Had the bike when it changed needs to undo whatever they did to the cable routing. Unless you're holding the grip with your wrist high and pulling in a left turn.

At idle, swing the bars left and right.
You might be able to solve it in minutes.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 05/05/17 at 07:50:07

The throttle cable is either:

- too short, or
- mis-routed

The second one is easy to fix and is free, the first requires money and time to measure the correct length.

Custom applications require custom solutions. My throttle cable was too long by about 5 inches - so I re-routed it, came in from the other side of the carb and wrapped it around the carb. Cost was free, but it took time to think about it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 05/05/17 at 08:21:50

Unless someone changed the cable, it's the same length as it was, you know, when it Wasn't a problem. Sounds suspiciously like a man made problem.

Search

motorcycle revs up in a turn

You are not alone. It's not a
Gee Whiz, I need a Professional to figure this out
Level problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/05/17 at 08:22:10

Yeah a shop had it, I didn't have the issue before so its probably pinched somewhere creating tension.

It happens even if I have my hand off the throttle just turning the bars left while in neutral.  I will take off the tank and trail the cable and see if I can identify a tight spot.  If not I can purchase a new assembly and send it in to be installed.

Rerouting the cable around the carb is good advice, I will see if I can apply that here.  I'm not sure if it was cut too short when the drag bars were put on but I will see.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 05/05/17 at 08:31:57

If that cable worked before, then buying a new one won't fix it unless someone screwed it up. I've seen that problem. It's never been the cable itself. Routing was the problem.
Okay, a shop had it.
What did they do to it?
Did they pull the tank?
Before you pull it, eyeball everything and see if you can adjust the cable position to solve the problem.
Before you pull it, have a place prepared to set it down. The speedometer cable will get bent too hard unless it's sitting on something that lets the cable hang a foot or so. A safe, nobody will knock it over spot matters.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 05/05/17 at 08:38:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/05/17 at 08:31:57:
...Before you pull it, eyeball everything and see if you can adjust the cable position to solve the problem.
Before you pull it, have a place prepared to set it down. The speedometer cable will get bent too hard unless it's sitting on something that lets the cable hang a foot or so. A safe, nobody will knock it over spot matters.

Sound advice here.  You may be able to sort it out without the need to pull the tank.  If you pull the tank, take it all the way off and, as JOG said, have a proper place ready to set it down.  Don't scrimp on extra time.  I was replacing a breather hose and didn't want to undo the speedo cable so I had the front of the tank propped up with a piece of 2X4 to do the repair.  I also didn't want to back my truck out of the garage to get to my cheap-o homemade motorcycle lift so I left the bike on the sidestand.  Those "shortcuts" led to the tank falling off the 2X4 prop and getting several scrapes, dings and dents.  Learn from my bad decision and do it right.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/05/17 at 10:03:15

If removing the tank,be careful not to lose the rubber O-ring from the speedometer cable or when replaceing don't drop it under the starter,either will ruin your day.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 05/05/17 at 10:18:40

It's a natural born flat tracker !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/05/17 at 11:10:26

Before you pull the tank, make sure there is a bit of free play at the throttle.  If not you'll have this problem even if the cable it routed properly.  There is an adjuster with two 10mm nuts on it.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/05/17 at 11:12:04

Ive had the tank off a number of times, never thought about the speedometer o-ring, its probably long gone by now.

I put the bike on its side coming back from the shop so I might have done the damage to the cable myself, who knows.  I will just do as suggested and try to look it over with the tank off before ordering parts and sending it back in.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/05/17 at 11:19:24

I put the bike on its side coming back from the shop so I might have done the damage to the cable myself, who knows.

Probably something to have shared earlier.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 05/05/17 at 15:11:34

Ah , Today I ah

Ah , I  ah

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/05/17 at 20:17:47

Resolved the issue by re-routing the cable.  It had been pulled under what I assume is some sort of fork-lock key hole.  I was able to snap it over the lock and zip-tie it against another cable and it seems to have gone away.

Now if I can just get rid of the belt squeal I might actually ride the thing somewhere.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:06:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Throttle increase when turning left

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.