Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Battery Charging (tenders vs. chargers) (Read 48 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Battery Charging (tenders vs. chargers)
05/13/17 at 20:16:11

Hi All,

I read verslagen1 talk about using a battery charger, and not a tender, in this post here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573/0#0

He says in point #1, that tenders send out 12.1V, and that amount won't charge a battery to the 12.6V needed - that only a battery charger can do that - NOT a tender. Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm a little confused, because in this video, the author talks about using a tender to charge a battery, and warns that chargers can over charge the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJty14qwJtE

Since versalgen1's post is from 2012, my question is: Did they change tenders since then so that it is appropriate for battery charging now, or do I still need to use a charger?

Thanks for your help! Cheers, Andy.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Battery Charging (tenders vs. chargers)
Reply #1 - 05/14/17 at 04:51:10

Many moons ago, when the Battery Tender chargers first came out I decided to do a little test.
At the time, wet cell (lead acid) batteries were the norm. Nowdays, most of the bikes I work on have some form of maintenance free batteries.
With a 'dumb' charger, the output voltage was constant, and you could see the acid bubbling when the battery was on charge.
Problem was, if you left a lead acid battery on a dumb charger, it would eventually boil out the acid.
When the 'smart' (Battery Tender) chargers came out, they promised to eliminate this problem.
I put two lead acid batteries on the bench next to each other. One was connected to a dumb charger, one to a Battery tender.
In a matter of weeks, the one on the dumb charger lost a significant amount of acid. The one on the Tender stayed at the full mark.
Tender claimed that their smart charger would start at a relatively high voltage and amperage, but that once the charger sensed that the battery was charged, the amperage would throttle back to trickle charge levels and the voltage was reduced to the low 13V range which is below the 'gassing' point of the acid.
I connected a Tender to a fairly dead batter with an ammeter and voltmeter connected.
Watching the readouts, sure enough, the Tender did as advertised. Once the battery was charged, the voltage and amperage scaled back.
What they have trouble with, is a really dead battery. I keep a few Optimate brand chargers on hand to bring back dead batteries. They have a Desulfate feature that 'burps' the batteries and can bring back a pretty dead battery.
Once the lithium batteries came on the scene, I checked with Battery Tender to see if their chargers were compatible. They answered that the older Tenders maintenance voltage wasn't high enough to keep a Lithium battery happy, but that their more recent (prob 10 years ago) ran a slightly higher maintenance voltage, and were up to the job.
One last note, the Desulfate cycle on the Optimate (and similar) chargers will cause a lithium battery to catch fire or explode, which I find undesirable.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery Charging (tenders vs. chargers)
Reply #2 - 05/14/17 at 05:55:08

which I find undesirable.

Awww, where's your sense of adventure?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 12:31:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery Charging (tenders vs. chargers)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.