Send Topic Print
Mystery Hose (Read 73 times)
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Mystery Hose
05/13/17 at 18:04:06

I replaced the jets in my carb and am in the process of putting everything back together. However I have a loose hose that isn't connected to anything at either end.

Its sitting very close to the clutch and where the speedo cable connects to the engine, any ideas where this is supposed to connect to?

hose.jpg

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mystery Hose
Reply #1 - 05/13/17 at 19:33:03

O, G, there used to be something there, but now it's gone... what was it?

WWW   IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - 05/13/17 at 19:45:56

From the looks of where it is and what the routing of where it could go, I think it might be an atmospheric vent for the stock battery. However I have an AGM as installed by the PO.

It is routed through a little clip by the clutch side engine cover, just as a reference for anybody who stumbles upon this thread with the same find.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 05/13/17 at 20:35:45

verslagen1 wrote on 05/13/17 at 19:33:03:
O, G, there used to be something there, but now it's gone... what was it?

I'm a newb here, but verslagen1 made a hint, so I'm going to make a beginners guess...The battery?
I have read about breather hoses on batteries, but when I took my battery out, I didn't notice any hose coming out of it... but maybe the OP's battery had one.
Am I getting warmer? Smiley

Edit: Oops, someone already gave the answer... an "atmospheric vent" for the stock battery (which sound like a more professional way of referring to a breather hose)... darn, and I thought I was being smart!

That begs the question... why some batteries use vents, and some don't? What are the benefits and disadvantages of either? And how that affects me working on my bike? G*d... so much to google... so little time.

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - 05/13/17 at 20:57:48

Batteries produce Hydrogen when they charge, so they need vents for that. Except for the sealed batteries like the one I currently have on my bike.

My assumption was correct, and if I had looked at the battery cover that houses the tool bag I would've seen what it is.

IMG_5469.JPG

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #5 - 05/14/17 at 11:19:34

Yeah... so much to think about, right? Last week, I removed the battery from my bike for the first time, and I saw that sticker, and I was scratching my head, because I didn't see any hose coming from my battery.

So last night, after an hour of reading the forum and Googling, I was introduced to the concept of "VRLA" batteries (Valve Regulated Lead Acid), with there being two major types - Gel and AGM. I posted an article I found helpful on the subject in a thread in the technical documents section - but it sounds like you already know about that kind of stuff. I didn't know that some batteries created gasses. It's all new to me. So much to learn. Very humbling.

Next mission - trying to learn how to use a multimeter with confidence, and figuring out how to charge the battery (tenders vs chargers... mamma mia).

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 13:46:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mystery Hose

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.