Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
More than one position on the Choke? (Read 256 times)
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
More than one position on the Choke?
05/12/17 at 14:10:29

Forgive me if this question has already been answered - I did a search but found no results...

It seems like there are multiple positions into which I can pull out the Choke - is that correct?

If so, why, and when would I use the different positions rather than just pulling it all the way out?
Thanks!

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: More than one position on the Choke?
Reply #1 - 05/12/17 at 14:17:10

Use the one that works for you.
I generally only go to the 1st notch, but on really cold days, full.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/12/17 at 14:17:42

Yes, it has multiple positions.  You can pull it all the way out to start the bike (if you need to), then push it in a notch as it warms up....the push it all the way in when the bike will idle smoothly.  Just do whatever works for you.....if you don't ride in freezing weather you may never need to use Full Choke.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #3 - 05/12/17 at 14:35:33

Each bike is different. Mine doesn't like any choke.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #4 - 05/12/17 at 14:40:29

Great... thanks. On my bike, I usually have to pull it all the way out, otherwise it gets prematurely "sucked" back in while I'm riding. Does that happen to you guys too?

US Navy (99-03). Novice, self-taught mechanic. 2003 Savage with 44k miles. 2015 S-40 with 5k miles.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 05/12/17 at 14:56:15

Yep, mine will get pulled in sometimes if it's only out to the first notch.  For the first ride of the morning my bike runs better to leave a little choke on for a few minutes.  Amount of time depends on the ambient temps.  I generally even give it a little choke for the afternoon ride home from work, too.  But just to get it started if it's over 60 degrees or so.  Don't generally need any choke if it's in the 80's or higher.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #6 - 05/12/17 at 16:02:06

Mine requires full out for starting and when really cold (between 30 & 40) I have to leave it there for a minute or so, then push in to 3rd position for another few minutes then push in to 2nd position for about 3 miles and full in when fully warmed up after about 10 miles.

When 40 to 50, full out for about 5 secs, then 3rd pos, for another minute then 2nd after 1 mile, and full in after 2 miles.

Always need full choke when starting first time, but never after that unless it fully cools down.

I do find, however that the "surging" (from being tuned so lean) will mostly go away at 1st choke position so sometimes I run it that way!

Just found out today, that I am getting right around 60 MPG.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #7 - 05/12/17 at 16:13:47

Mine starts right up with no choke at 60 plus.

IP Logged
Andy RN

Eugene, OR
Reply #8 - 05/12/17 at 16:52:26

It's interesting to see all the variation between riders. I have always pulled my choke out to it's fullest position, and after 5 years of riding, I never think twice about it...

But then I read something like this and it frightens me:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1342319094/7#7

I hope I haven't been damaging my piston.

My bike wouldn't start up, that's what prompted me to want to start taking it apart and try learning how to fix it... but reading over the forums is intense. I'm a little concerned that I'm in over my head... I read about guys like Dave fabricating their own tools, and I' feel like I'm way out of my league... I can't even understand half of what I'm reading:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1367169463/17#17

But no fear! Gonna keep at this - even if I never get to the level where I can fix my bike. Worse comes to worse, I will buy another bike if I can't fix this one, and it will be a learning experience. I respect you guys a lot!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 05/12/17 at 17:42:38

Don't try to fix stuff that isn't broke.  Keep it running so you can ride it!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 05/12/17 at 18:14:45

No choke needed here in QLD from 60F to 100F, idles starts at 950 rises to 1200 engine warms up.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 05/12/17 at 18:53:30

That's too low of an rpm. High idle should be around 2,000 and warm idle should be 1,400 to 1,500 rpm. Any lower and the oil pressure isn't high enough to provide adequate flow and to the cams.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/13/17 at 05:27:27

Andy RN wrote on 05/12/17 at 14:40:29:
Great... thanks. On my bike, I usually have to pull it all the way out, otherwise it gets prematurely "sucked" back in while I'm riding. Does that happen to you guys too?
--------------------

Are you saying you ride with the choke out?  How long to keep it out?  

On cold mornings I pull the choke out fully to start the bike.  Once started I push it to the 1st position, we'll call that half-choke and start riding.  I ride half-choke until the bike warms up enough to hold an idle or until I get to my first long stretch of road where I'll sustain a higher rpm.   So I'm on full choke for just a few seconds and half-choke for less than a few minutes.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/13/17 at 05:47:52

It does seem that there is a lot of variance in how each bike requires choke.  My 2007 never needed the choke to start, and it always started immediately after a revolution or two.

The detent on the choke knob is plastic, and when new it holds the choke firmly in place in any position.  As the plastic ages it can lose the ability to hold the Knob in the middle position....then later it can lose the ability to hold it out in any position.  If your Knob won't stay in the middle position - it is wearing out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 05/13/17 at 06:48:49

The choke, which, technically Isn't a choke..
And the completely different ways each engine needs it, there just isn't any Rule for how to use it.
And IF it's not perfect in its ways, won't Stay, whatever,, it's not a big deal. A clothes pin would probably solve the problem. Just get it to run and warm up and ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:52:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More than one position on the Choke?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.