Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Great rides or roads near you (Read 255 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Great rides or roads near you
05/08/17 at 13:13:59

Is there already a thread like this somewhere?  If so, a mod can move this.
I thought this would be a cool way to share your local rides and roads.
There are certainly apps out there like Eat Sleep Ride or Rever, but this would  be right here on our forum.
Thought of this after a 4 hour ride through the Colorado Rockies yesterday.  What a beautiful trip!  Canyons, rivers, valleys and plenty of twisty roads.  

This part was particularly fun.

Here's a link to the route I took.  HWY 72 to Nederland and then over to Estes Park.  Then down 36 to Lyons and across the base of the foothills into Boulder and back home.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Re: Great rides or roads near you
Reply #1 - 05/08/17 at 13:40:40

HA! I'm in Kansas. All the roads are straight, flat and mostly boring. That's why big, fat lazy cruisers are popular. That's because you have to ride lots of miles to get anywhere interesting. There are a couple of interesting roads around Wichita, but the fun parts are usually only a mile or two long.

I_live_in_Kansas.jpg
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 05/08/17 at 15:14:19

20 minute west gets me into some twisties , not a whole lot but still hella fun. But 2 hrs east or west gets me into the really good stuff but I rarely have time enough to ride that far.  Embarrassed

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 05/09/17 at 04:27:56

I live in an area that is great for those who like curves and hills.  It is a bit like a scaled down version of the Smokey Mountains....we are limited to 350 foot elevation changes - the top of the highest hills is 850 msl, and the river valleys don't drop below the 500 msl of the Ohio and Licking River banks.  The curves have a bit more spaces between them than the Dragon does....they are not packed as close together and generally have a better view of what lies around the corner.  Still - this is a wonderful place to ride the backroads and enjoy the curves and scenery.  All of the northern KY area, southern OH, and southeastern Indiana around Brown County offer some really good riding.  The horse farm areas around Lexington and Louisville are very pretty and the paving is generally really good.  Better scenic views and vistas are to be found at Natural Bridge and the areas around the Daniel Boone National Forest, Cumberland Falls, etc.

Good rides are all listed on this website......just pick an area and it will show you great rides.  You have to set a few parameters about the area, the quality of the road,scenery,amenities.
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #4 - 05/09/17 at 05:05:11

Dave, I grew up and began my riding career in Clermont Co, Ohio, just east of Cincinnati. There were fun roads all over the place. I miss the area.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #5 - 05/09/17 at 05:56:05

I'm still waiting for some of you guys to keep their promise, pack a backpack and come on over for a week or two...

Italy is plumb right boring...

Whoops !!!  Cool

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #6 - 05/09/17 at 06:00:39

Life's rough ! Looks very nice to me !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #7 - 05/09/17 at 07:18:52

I like spending my weekends on the quaint and often spooky little backroads along and around the Brandywine Creek.

These aren't my vids. I just searched them up as examples...
https://youtu.be/bwg_MgXz0e8
https://youtu.be/I6WmqeIYkeM
https://youtu.be/KppKdmAi7Yg

If you keep following this person's vids he goes onto Route 82 which is another road I've been exploring going north. I haven't done the Delaware part very much but a fun road.https://youtu.be/3n1GgmyQQdU
Apparently I need to go further South on 82 too
https://youtu.be/bhtdFL9qIaY

Along these roads there's tons of ancient ruins and historical sites. there's a number of very creepy places like cult house and the Embreeville insane asylum and the death tunnels. Last weekend I explored a place called Satan's Houses along Route 1 in Lenni/Wawa PA which was the site of some pretty crazy stuff as well as being a former hangout of the Pagan's MC. The road was blocked by a fallen tree so I had to get the Ducati muddy finding another up the hill through the woods.

I take both of my bikes on rides back here in the countryside beyond the suburbs and it is great fun. Very pretty this time of year too.
Going further off the beaten trail each time too and finding alot of places where the pavement ends, old farm roads and such. I think everybody with a bike in this region knows about Creek Road and Brandywine Creek Road but judging from the lack of bike traffic I see when exploring the other backroads connecting to them I don't think riders are truly appreciating the area. It's fun along the creek but there's so many more enjoyable roads to be found here too.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/09/17 at 08:03:19

Mr. Pescatori, I did not know you had a standing open invitation to us all. If we both live long enough, I think I will take you up on your invite and I''l make an attempt to get some of these other guys involved. I have never been to Europe and I would like to go there sometime. I hope it happens. It would be an honor and a pleasure to meet you sir.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 05/09/17 at 09:31:50

I didn't know this. apparently I have been riding The Loop...
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/476/Delaware/The-Loop.html#sthash.HukeI0zG....

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #10 - 05/09/17 at 12:51:42

Most people think that NJ is paved from North to South, but I live in the NW corner of the state in Warren County. The roads in Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties are just perfect for riding. This is a rural area of NJ and road traffic is minimal. Lots of two lane back roads with both sweeping and tight turns and elevation changes (it's called the Skylands area of NJ). I never find myself wishing for better roads to ride.

NJ_Roads.jpg

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 05/09/17 at 14:50:01

mpescatori wrote on 05/09/17 at 05:56:05:

Maurizio, I wish I had been able to come over a few years back.  I had the money for travel and fully intended to come see you when I had my wreck, and that just cancelled everything for about 2 years.  By then, I had remarried, then moved to Oklahoma...money all gone.   Undecided  

Maybe another day God will provide the opportunity.
I sure hope so.
Until then, Ride Safe my friend.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 05/09/17 at 15:42:43

You see there Pesci, that makes two of us already. I'll start working on Versi and Dave and maybe MM. It's nice to have dreams to strive for.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 05/10/17 at 00:40:10

I'm currently enjoying a coffee break at the office and stealing some internet time...

...can't get Beyond security filters and see motorcycle rental rates in Rome...

I'll see if I can get it done tonight, in order to give you an idea of rental costs
(I do not recommend crating and shipping your bikes across the ocean...
unless you intend to ride all the way across Europe for a month or two... or three !!!)

Anyway, other than plain "scooters" with CVT transmission... you can rent BMWs and Ducatis... Cool

Expect to pay around $1000/week for a BMW F800GS (800cc twin with 80hp) or a Ducati Scrambler (800cc twin with 80hp)
...plus gas at $ 6.50/7.00 / gal...  Tongue

Still... methinks a week in Italy (or two) is definitely worth it !!!

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #14 - 05/10/17 at 06:30:32

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/09/17 at 12:51:42:
Most people think that NJ is paved from North to South, but I live in the NW corner of the state in Warren County. The roads in Hunterdon, Warren and Sussex counties are just perfect for riding. This is a rural area of NJ and road traffic is minimal. Lots of two lane back roads with both sweeping and tight turns and elevation changes (it's called the Skylands area of NJ). I never find myself wishing for better roads to ride.

I used to live in Byram, up River Road from Stockton, back in the 90's. I agree the roads are really great up there. I wish PA took care of its roads like NJ does. Instead we have moonscape for roads.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:24:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Great rides or roads near you

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.