Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Low risers and drag bars (Read 225 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Low risers and drag bars
05/07/17 at 03:16:52

I recently swapped from the stock drag bar to a 29" HD drag bar. I love 'em and they prompted me to do something about the risers. The stock risers aren't really uncomfortable but I felt it would be better if I could lean forward without bending my arms as much. I also don't like the look of that bend in the stock risers.

I thought I'd share the details, and some photos, of what I've done for anyone else thinking about doing something similar.

Basically, I made up some aluminium spacers to raise the old style risers.

BTW, a big 'thank you' goes out to Lancer for sending me a pair of those risers  Smiley

Here is a comparison image of the finished result:

Handlebars-Comparison.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Re: Low risers and drag bars
Reply #1 - 05/07/17 at 03:25:40

The spacers are made from a piece of aluminium bar which the local steel supply guy had lying around. He has a minimum fee of $15 for people like me who drop in looking for odd pieces.

The aluminium is 25mm (1") in diameter. I cut two pieces to [s]50mm (2") [/s]length, and drilled a 10 mm hole down the centre.

Then I hit it with some 400 grit paper, then some 600 grit paper, then some 'Autosol' polishing paste.

I got longer bolts 120 mm. They are just long enough. I'll run with them for now but I'm going to order some at 125 mm - I would like to have a  bit of thread poking out through the nut, seeing as it's all that holds the whole handlebar assembly on.

I also had the grind the edges back a bit on the hex head on the bolts - making the hexagon smaller, to match the cavity they sit in inside the bottom half of the handlebar clamp.

This image shows the aluminium, as I got it and after I polished it. I also added a coat of clear gloss.

* UPDATE, for anyone who is interested: I wasn't happy with the minimal amount of purchase that the nuts had on the screws. I also had trouble getting longer screws from the bolt supplier. So, I was left with 120mm screws. I cut the spacers down to 40 mm. Clearance from the tank is still good, and the nuts screw on with about 8mm excess - that feels a lot more secure.
« Last Edit: 05/28/17 at 01:50:44 by IslandRoad »  

RiserSpacer-Polished.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 05/07/17 at 03:26:45

This image shows the clearance on both sides:

Handlebars-Clearance.jpg

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 05/07/17 at 03:33:00

I haven't had a chance to take the bike for a spin yet. I'll ride to work tomorrow - looking forward to it  Smiley

I only have one little concern. That is the length of the brake line. It's now  forming an 'S' shape as it leaves the handlebar (and there is already plenty of length down by the wheel). If anyone with experience has read this far, I'd really appreciate your feedback on the shape of the brake line in the first image in this thread.

The break appears to work ok, but I'd like to find out if I have a potential problem before it becomes an actual problem. Cheers.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 05/07/17 at 06:07:44

A curve in the brake hose isn't a problem. I wouldn't expect you to kink the thing hard enough to crimp the brake fluid down. If you ever let off the brake and it doesn't feel like it immediately released, look at the hose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #5 - 05/07/17 at 07:21:51

My brake hose has been like it for years. Not a problem. It had the big girly buckhorn bars, swapped for drag bars with 2" pullback. Nice fix, btw. I used the seatbelt spacers from an old Commodore I was wrecking at the time. Found the longer bolts in the same car  Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/07/17 at 08:03:18

I would take the hose out of the holder myself, or at least pull some up from below and arraign a little better radius.

Nice job on the spacer.   Cool

recoils   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 05/07/17 at 09:51:28

Nice idea, I am thinking of swapping my buckhorns for some window drags and wanted another 1-2", and had wondered about doing something similar. This is a super bit of guidence and info. Thanks.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/07/17 at 19:16:45

the banjo bolt at the brake reservoir can be loosened and turned,which may help take some of the "s" out, you could take the hose out of the holder as Vercy said ,run it behind and under the headlight,and then out in front of the right fork and then up in one gentle loop.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 05/08/17 at 03:23:16

Thanks for the feedback on the brake hose guys. I feel a lot more confident about it, knowing others have run it in similar fashion before.

I wondered about taking the hose out of that wire clamp, and adjusting the connection bolt at the brake lever as suggested. I'll give that a go and see if I can get a better looking sweep - I couldn't possibly make it look any worse!

I rode to and from work today. Just a short trip but enough to tell how the risers change the ride. It does exactly what I hoped, and more. The riding position feels great and that bit of annoying softness/movement in the tall risers is gone. Also the mirror position has gotten even better. I love how they change the look of the bike too.

I had been thinking about getting some of Ed.L's forward controls but decided to wait until the handlebars were finished (sage advice from the guy at the bike shop who sold me the handlebars - "Change one thing at a time"). I'm glad I waited. I think, in the position I sit with these bars, the foot peg position is just about spot on (I have short legs for my height). I have a couple of longer rides coming up in the next couple of weeks, so time will tell.

Next will be the suspension. I've been researching that here on the forum. That would be Progressive shocks on the back. As for the front, I'm sure I read a comment somewhere (by Batman, I think) that said it's possible to use the method linked below, but recalculated so as not to shorten the forks:

Fork & Shock Improvements for Café Conversions - http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1421689358

I'm still reading up on that  Cool

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 05/08/17 at 03:34:13

Could you not loosen the fitting at the master cylinder end and raise the fitting a little? I'm no techie and that could be wrong.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #11 - 05/08/17 at 03:49:07

jcstokes wrote on 05/08/17 at 03:34:13:
Could you not loosen the fitting at the master cylinder end and raise the fitting a little? I'm no techie and that could be wrong.

I think that's what Batman suggested a couple of posts back. He is a "teckie" so you're probably on solid ground with that one  Wink

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 05/08/17 at 04:07:39

SoC wrote on 05/07/17 at 09:51:28:
Nice idea, I am thinking of swapping my buckhorns for some window drags and wanted another 1-2", and had wondered about doing something similar. This is a super bit of guidence and info. Thanks.  

You're welcome SoC  Smiley

FWIW, I think 2" is about the lower limit for the spacers, and I have slightly wider and slightly less pulled back bars than the stock drag bars. Before I made the spacers, I held the bars above the clamp to check the clearance, and got my girlfriend to measure the distance.

I have about 1" clearance from the tank at full lock, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't translate into one inch of available space at the spacer (for some kind of geometrically/magical reason). You might be able to go a quarter inch lower, but I reckon that would be pushing it, and wouldn't make much difference to the look or the feel.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #13 - 05/08/17 at 04:08:29

verslagen1 wrote on 05/07/17 at 08:03:18:
recoils   Smiley

Cool

IP Logged
Hamman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/08/17 at 12:25:05

niceee

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com