YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Wheel bearing greaser
05/07/17 at 22:22:55

What do you guys think of this little do dad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x044r9woDc&feature=youtu.be

Should we adapt it for our wheels?
The stock bearings are only sealed on the outside so the technique should work for us.

WWW   IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Re: Wheel bearing greaser
Reply #1 - 05/08/17 at 01:25:40

I like that idea. My ski boat trailer has something similar called a Bearing buddy. You just whack them onto the hub and pump the grease in. Works well. For the bike, why would you bother? Replacement sealed bearings are so cheap and last almost forever anyway, the originals wouldn't be worth bothering to repack.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 05/08/17 at 03:34:40

gizzo wrote on 05/08/17 at 01:25:40:
I like that idea. My ski boat trailer has something similar called a Bearing buddy. You just whack them onto the hub and pump the grease in. Works well. For the bike, why would you bother? Replacement sealed bearings are so cheap and last almost forever anyway, the originals wouldn't be worth bothering to repack.

I learned the purpose of the bearing buddy is to keep internal pressure on the wheel hub, and keep water out (as well as provide a way to grease the bearings).  Evidently the problem with boat trailer bearings is that you run down the road on a 90 degree day and get the wheel hub warm - then when you launch your boat you submerge the trailer in 60 degree water.....and the air inside the hub cools and contracts and pulls the water into the hub.  The Bearing Buddy has a spring that keeps a small amount of positive pressure inside the hub so the water isn't pulled inside.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #3 - 05/08/17 at 04:10:59

That's right. It's a drag having to wait til the trailer cools down before you can launch the boat. These things have that spring and piston arrangement that pushes on the grease all the time so water can't be pulled in because the grease is pushing back. You pull up at the ramp and back it straight in. Perfect. But the grease nipple on the end so you don't need to be always packing wheel bearings, that was the focus of my first post.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/08/17 at 07:59:32

Looks like a handy tool to have around.
How much are they ?

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/08/17 at 08:31:43

Bearings are cheap enough considering their long life but some are a real pain to remove and install so a tool like that can be really useful.  The only way to grease the bearings on my old BMW motorcycle is to remove them and they are a press fit in an aluminum hub.  Removal and installation requires heating the hub to a fairly high temperature and the entire procedure takes up quite a bit of time.

I think that after removal some people drill a hole in the inside spacer and make a tool similar to the one in the video so that future lube jobs are quicker and easier.  The grease flows through the hole in the spacer, into the void between the bearings and out into the bearings.

When I kept a boat I just periodically replaced the trailer bearings but they were an easy fit and the bearings were commonly stocked and were cheap.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/08/17 at 09:24:10

Yeah, this is a concern for me... I have 80k miles on each bike.
And I have a spare front and rear along with that.

The bearings don't come out without a fight, so we generally leave them there till they scream for attention.

So making a shaft with a couple of ports to squirt grease in where it ought to be seems like a no brainer to me.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/08/17 at 09:35:57

LANCER wrote on 05/08/17 at 07:59:32:
Looks like a handy tool to have around.
How much are they ?

I think they are about $50

vs the trailer buddies are $25 a pair.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 05/08/17 at 10:49:46

I use a 5 dollar tool you can buy at napa auto,it's a zerk fitting with a needle on it. You carefully insert needle at edge of seal, pushing the lip back and pump some grease in then move it 180* and pump some more in remove needle rotate wheel then do the other side. I use on new bearings cause they never put enough grease in them.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/08/17 at 12:13:25

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 05/08/17 at 12:53:51

Verses , you can buy them separately, it's the one  with the plastic sleeve over it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 01:59:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Wheel bearing greaser

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.