Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help! Locked out! Need computer guru (Read 142 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Help! Locked out! Need computer guru
04/26/17 at 04:46:16

I'm on an IPad right now but at home I can't get on to the forum. I can access the rest of the site but not the forum. It gives me some sort of "Forbidden" error. I've emailed John with no response.

I don't think any of my settings have changed but, even they did, what would lock me out of the forum? I'm using Windows10 if that matters.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Help! Locked out! Need computer guru
Reply #1 - 04/26/17 at 05:08:01

MS has handed you a nightly update change to your security settings.  

Likely MS is now looking for "MS registrations and approvals" that Jon doesn't use as this site runs on YaBB freeware.   Therefore this site's forum is now "forbidden" to you as a loyal MS user, for your own good of course.    Roll Eyes    

It may be that a virus or other illness was attached to a picture or in something else referred to by another forum member that has caused the forum portion to be "forbidden" to you by MS as the bad thing was found there.

You need to write down the information that flashes up on the forbidden screen and then do some web searches on it -- nothing happens just to you, it happens to LOTS of people and the "how to fix it"  becomes quickly known.

Step 1 is to turn your machine completely off, count to 10 and turn it back on again.  Forcing a cold boot reload of Windows fixes many small problems and is always worth doing as a first step.

========================================

I downloaded and ran ClamAV on my Linux box, not because I need it but because Windows people need for us Linux people to not be transmitting viruses to you (we can't get them, but you can).  

Scan came up clean, I am not a "virus pusher".       Smiley

« Last Edit: 04/26/17 at 06:23:58 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 04/26/17 at 13:34:08

Thanks Oldfeller. I'll give it a shot when I get home tonight. I can't go much longer without this forum. I need my fix!   Grin

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/26/17 at 18:20:55

It could be your browser or your anti virus software.  I use windows, 7 and 10, and don't have any troubles with the log in but my browser, Fire Fox, gives me a warning when I log onto this site because it feels that the site is not as secure as it should be.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 04/27/17 at 04:42:36

If it helps any, I tried using my IPad at home and it gave me the same error. So I can't get on the forum at all when I"m home. This tells me it's probably not the computer or the IPad. Would something with the Wifi setup do this?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 04/27/17 at 04:45:59

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #6 - 04/28/17 at 04:51:18

So, doing a cold restart didn't help at all. Same problem. I even left it off a few minutes while I made a sandwich.  Grin  Hey, a guy's gotta have priorities! What do I need to check that would prevent this forum from opening? I even cleared all the temporary files, cookies, etc. Still got nothing.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/28/17 at 11:37:57

Kris,

Try a different browser.

I usually use Google Chrome to log on to this forum.

Kenny G Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 04/28/17 at 12:06:22

You need a BFH

And a new confuser

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 04/28/17 at 12:22:36

Kris01 wrote on 04/27/17 at 04:42:36:
If it helps any, I tried using my IPad at home and it gave me the same error. So I can't get on the forum at all when I"m home. This tells me it's probably not the computer or the IPad. Would something with the Wifi setup do this?

If you can log in at work but not at home with the same device, then it's the router/wifi.  And as was stated before, Yabb doesn't have the right security certs.  Log in to your router and see it's locked you out.

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #10 - 05/02/17 at 04:38:07

I figured out how to login to my router and the wifi and there was nothing I could check to see if this site was being blocked. It has to be the router though. I'm at work now and can get on with no problems so it's the equipment at home causing all the trouble. I'm still at a loss trying to figure out how to change anything with the settings to allow access to this site.   :'(

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 05/02/17 at 08:44:46

You might start by writing down the make and model number of the router.  Also, is this router one that you purchased or does it belong to the cable company.  Once you have more information you could post it on a forum where they discuss such issues.  You might find those forums by posting your question in different ways on Google and see where it leads you.  If the modem is owned by your cable operator they may have remotely updated the router software and caused the problem.

My cable company is a local company and it is easy to talk to a tech and they can usually solve any problem even when it is with my own equipment.  But I have heard that it is nearly impossible to get such assistance from the large companies.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/02/17 at 17:13:44

I asked an IT/network engineer about this situation and here is what they said.  1) This is not an https site, it does not use SSL (secure socket layer) and so nothing transmitted between your computer and the server this forum is hosted on is encrypted.  2) There is probably nothing wrong with your router or computer.  3) The server this forum is hosted on may have been compromised by a malicious attacker, or may have gotten on a (black)list of compromised servers (whether or not it has actually been compromised).  4) Your browser, or firewall in your router/modem is actually doing its job based on the contents of the blacklist, or on what the information coming from the server looks like.

Firewalls act like a bouncer at a night club.  The bouncer will let in the pretty girls with low-cut tops, and keep out the dirty hobos.  Sometimes the bouncer mistakenly doesn't let a pretty girl in because they're not wearing low-cut tops.  What I mean by this is that sometimes some information looks malicious even when it really isn't, so the firewall blocks it.

The take-away is that the fault is more than likely with the server/forum than with your computers/routers.

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Reply #13 - 05/02/17 at 21:30:59

its also possible that your ip address has been put on a blacklist for ddos attacks and other stuff by the server host. this does not mean you have done anything, you could have a infected computer/device thats pinged the server to many times and been blocked as a result or someone using your current ip address has done so and been blacklisted.
unless you have a static ip address assigned it "usually costs extra and you would have to request it" you can unplug your modem from the power and unplug either the cable/telephone cable from the modem and leave it overnight "do this before midnight"
in the morning plug it back in and you should get a new ip address as most isp's use dynamic ranges.

ip address is a number that basically identifies you on the internet.
is this the only site you have issues with?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #14 - 05/09/17 at 10:00:08

Yes, this is the only site I'm having trouble with. I somehow found a list of blocked sites from my router and it was blank. I guess the router isn't being told to block this site. I'll keep digging in to this problem. Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 10:30:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › Help! Locked out! Need computer guru

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.