Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tuneable Baffle - Snake Oil or Sound Idea? (Read 149 times)
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Tuneable Baffle - Snake Oil or Sound Idea?
05/05/17 at 07:32:52

I was reading up on how both my Ducati and various models of
Buell bikes have a servovalve in the exhaust header to tune the torque curve of the engine.

In studying the concept I came across this...

http://www.tabperformance.com/Reduce-Back-Pressure-Exhaust-s/203.htm

Is this simple mod a worthwhile thing to try on our thumpers?
Or just something that works with twins only?
Or total bull?

My personal interest is to learn about how exhaust effects the torque curve in order to decide on whether or not to machine my exhaust port and go with a bigger header.
But reading the above source got my attention, particularly the results reported:
Run 5: Had the lowest horsepower, but the 2500-4000 RPM power was the highest. This is the RPM band that most riders spend their time riding.

Run 6: Improves the 3000-4000 RPM horsepower drop over run 7 without any significant drop in maximum power.

Run 7: Makes the most power, but has a huge hole in the power band just above 3000 RPMs. Since the thumbscrew is parallel to the pipe in this case, it has a very small profile and would be very similar to it not being there at all

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Tuneable Baffle - Snake Oil or Sound Idea?
Reply #1 - 05/05/17 at 09:50:10

Dave posted this a while ago, you need to watch .                              WWW youtube.com/watch?v=KjKUKhHQLHg

« Last Edit: 05/05/17 at 13:37:18 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #2 - 05/05/17 at 12:00:04

It gave me
This video does not exist

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 05/05/17 at 12:38:40

+1.  Linky no work.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/05/17 at 13:09:32

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 05/05/17 at 13:17:20

there Dave just post it above.sorry I mistyped it .

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 05/05/17 at 18:15:05

I think the use of the words "back pressure" is a bit confusing.  The goal really isn't to create a restriction to the flow of gases - the goal is to break up the pressure waves that can flow back into the header pipe and create pulses on the back of the exhaust valve....at the wrong time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 05/06/17 at 06:20:41

Yes, watch the video. Informative.
Air moving in a tube can create a low pressure zone in the exhaust system, just waiting for the valve to open, and increase the scavenging.
There's a reason why exhausts aren't just empty tubes. That's fine for engines that are used for nothing but WFO running, like dragsters, but to get the torque and useable power through a wide RPM range the exhaust system has to be designed accordingly. The intake is another place to tinker..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 05/06/17 at 14:26:50

The reason a muffler works is that the pressure wave reverses as it enters the muffler due to expansion into it's larger area, most of this negative wave returns to the exhaust valve just before it closes and pulls out the remaining exhaust gases and helps pull in a fresh charge(the intake valve is opening as the exhaust valve is closing -valve overlap) , this only happens because the header pipe is 32inches long which controls the timing of the wave , the rest of the wave travels out the pipe with the exhaust gases ,but it's ill timed reversal is blocked by the baffle in the muffler . With a straight pipe or a muffler with no baffle the wave must continue to the end of the pipe before reversing and at certain RPM will arrive at the exhaust valve as it's opening and imped complete removal of the exhaust gases and unburned fuel, this causes the mid  range sag you see in the video. Placing a bolt /baffle in the end of the pipe brakes up the wave ,but you lose performance over a muffler system.

IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #9 - 05/07/17 at 09:59:21

Dave wrote on 05/05/17 at 13:09:32:

Good video! The guy is a somewhat cooler version of The Architect
https://youtu.be/cHZl2naX1Xk

Today I'm going to perform my own experiment. I'm going to unhook the servo valve control wire on my Ducati. Without this connection the spring inside the valve itself will hold the flapper wide open.
I've read that this valve is mainly for meeting noise pollution requirements in various countries and has a detrimental effect on low RPM throttle response. It doesn't hurt the bike to tinker with it though.
What would be interesting is to put in a manual control for it.
Something like this...
http://www.allelectronics.com/item/str-110/servo-tester/1.html

Going back on topic though it seems as though there's little value in doing the tunable baffle on a Savage.
So when you open the exhaust port up with a dremel and install a larger header what happens to the slinky then?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/07/17 at 10:24:51

The slinky is affected by the temperature of the exhaust gases ,as a larger header pipe has more surface area the gases in the header pipe cool more quickly ,this slows the returning wave ,which may make it arrive at the exhaust valve to late. this is why the largest exhaust pipe of 1.5 inches  ID is recommended .I would think a larger exhaust header could be used if it were made shorter.I believe the stock header is 32 " long, shorter headers favor higher RPMs, longer favor low or mid range,I believe the range for 650 cc motors runs between 30" and 34" ,Suzuki picked 32"to highlight mid range performance on the savage (logical).you should take care in opening the exhaust port ,Exhaust is pushed out ,and the "slinky" can be moving at nearly the speed of sound,opening the port too much could slow the gases inside the port and kill the flow through the head.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:23:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tuneable Baffle - Snake Oil or Sound Idea?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.