Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
2000 Savage clanking noise (Read 1148 times)
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
2000 Savage clanking noise
05/08/16 at 05:04:22

Hello everyone and greetings from Finland!

I bought a 48000 km driven terribly bobberized Savage last December and I've been restoring it to closer to it's original form. There was a clanking noise when I bought it, and it still has. Comes and goes with the use of the throttle and it's really hard to say where it comes from, tried to locate it with a screwdriver method and later with a stethoscope.

I have checked the cam chain tensioner, only 13mm out. I've also lifted the head cover: Cam, rockers and bearing journals seemed to be in good condition, altough the head cover wasn't properly installed, two snapped bolts were glued in place and one locating dovel was missing  Angry And no sealant in the head cap  Wink
Valve clearances are well adjusted and they seem to stay the same after a test run.

I'm going to check the flywheel nut as soon as I get the puller.
Any other suggestions where this sound might come from?

EDITED 3/5/17:

things I've checked or replaced so far:

-Camshaft journals (in factory specs)
-New camshaft
-Lifters are fine
-New O/S Wiseco piston (old was 0,5mm under wear limits at the skirt)
-Crankshaft and con rod bearings felt fine
-New valves & seals (one was bent)
-Flywheel nut (couldn't get it open, so I think it's tight enough)
-Oil pump works & turned the sprocket the right way around
-Clutch (in factory specs)
-Tensioner out 13mm, not hitting the cover

Any suggestions? Intermittent tapping, comes back and goes away with throttle, quite sure it comes from just below the cylinder out front.
« Last Edit: 05/03/17 at 14:16:03 by kojones »  

papatin.jpg
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Re: 2000 Savage clanking noise
Reply #1 - 05/08/16 at 05:05:14

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #2 - 05/08/16 at 06:33:03

welcome!
did you change the oil? if yes witch oil did you put in the bike?

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #3 - 05/08/16 at 08:16:16

Struch wrote on 05/08/16 at 06:33:03:
welcome!
did you change the oil? if yes witch oil did you put in the bike?

Yes, and the filter too. 15W-50 synthetic, since it was on discount.

IP Logged
Struch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LA
Reply #4 - 05/08/16 at 08:19:41

cool you need to check out Rotella T oil and treads about that!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 05/08/16 at 08:28:28

50 might be a bit thick. Any friction modifiers will cause clutch problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #6 - 05/08/16 at 09:33:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/08/16 at 08:28:28:
50 might be a bit thick. Any friction modifiers will cause clutch problems.

OK, it's M/C oil and suitable for wet clutches so I hope there will be no problem with the clutch, but we'll see when I get on the road. That sound also seems to appear more frequently with a warm engine, so I'm not sure it's the oil?

Have to check the Rotella T, I think it's a bit difficult to find in Europe, but seems like the Delvac MX is very popular choice too.

Thanks for your input!

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #7 - 05/08/16 at 13:45:27

What do you think, is it safe for the bike to put on the first gear and step on the rear brake when opening and the tightening the alternator rotor bolt and flywheel nut? I'm going to use an impact wrench.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 05/08/16 at 17:07:51

kojones wrote on 05/08/16 at 13:45:27:
What do you think, is it safe for the bike to put on the first gear and step on the rear brake when opening and the tightening the alternator rotor bolt and flywheel nut? I'm going to use an impact wrench.

I wouldn't use an impact wrench.....you can't know how much torque is on the nut when you stop?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #9 - 05/09/16 at 04:18:11

Actually you can get quite close to a desired tightness if you have a good impact wrench and know it's habits  Wink

Seems that the tightening torque of the nut and the bolt is approx. 3 times the maximum torque of the engine, so I quess I just have to go and buy a 36mm offset wrench. Unfortunately they're quite expensive. I've managed to keep a student friendly budget with this bike, albeit I had to buy new tires and paint it. Even the brake rotor is DIY  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/09/16 at 04:33:30

kojones wrote on 05/09/16 at 04:18:11:
Actually you can get quite close to a desired tightness if you have a good impact wrench and know it's habits  Wink

OK.........Good luck with that!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 05/09/16 at 05:39:16

------

Actually you can get quite close to a desired tightness if you have a good impact wrench and know it's habits

Why ask a question if you have already predetermined your answer?

Anyway...while the discussion about the type & brand of oil is useless, the subject of the oil change is notable. Did you inspect the oil and the filter for any FOD? If something is making noise, its probably also making metal.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #12 - 05/09/16 at 07:01:44

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 05/09/16 at 05:39:16:

------

Actually you can get quite close to a desired tightness if you have a good impact wrench and know it's habits

Why ask a question if you have already predetermined your answer?

Anyway...while the discussion about the type & brand of oil is useless, the subject of the oil change is notable. Did you inspect the oil and the filter for any FOD? If something is making noise, its probably also making metal.

Yes, there was magnetic and aluminium metal flakes in the filter but we haven't been able to determine their origin. I have no clue how long the filter has been there, so hard to say are they result of the noise.

And actually I asked about using the bikes transmission and brakes as an resisting force, the use of an impact wrench has nothing to do with that, altough the impact might be a bit hard to gear wheel tooth.  Embarrassed
But since the required tightening torque is so much bigger than the engines output torque I think I'm not going to tighten or loosen them that way.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/09/16 at 07:11:07

I don't have a problem with you using the transmission/brakes and an impact to loosen the nuts on the crank.  It also helps to take a piece of hardwood and shove it in the primary gears to help keep things from rotating......or it is pretty darn easy to make a flywheel holder from scrap angle iron - there are two threaded holes in the flywheel that are used for the factory holder.

I do believe it is important to use a proper torque wrench for tightening any of the critical engine parts (crankshaft nuts, clutch nut, countershaft nut, head studs).

I can't imagine a loose flywheel would make any metal bits in the oil.  My flywheel nut came loose when my bike had about 400 miles on it - and by 1,200 miles it was like a death rattle.  It started out as a tick, and I did not take the engine apart as the sound was so minor I didn't know what it was and felt I couldn't find the source even if I took things apart and looked......at the end it was deafening at idle, and as the revs increased the sound got less loud.....and at 60 mph the bike sounded pretty normal.  (The engine pulses smooth out at higher rpm and the flywheel bangs less - while the noise at idle was very loud).

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 05/09/16 at 07:47:26

Have you checked your front pulley ? If not torqued to 100 psi ,it could be moving on the shaft ,rubbing the side cover . The noise can be intermittent on throttle , going or slowing.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:03:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2000 Savage clanking noise

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.