Send Topic Print
oil consumption (Read 158 times)
LS400 Ukraine
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

oil consumption
05/03/17 at 07:26:07

Hello, guys. I think i have problem with oil consumption.

I've changed oil in the beginning of this season and passed about 650 km..
And today i've seen there is an extremely low level of oil in my bike. In the last time i've put there 2 Liters of LIQUI MOLY 20W50 Mineral oil.

How do you think, what is the reason?
I have 1993 LS400 savage... (with chain drive)

Also yesterday i've passed about 100km in one evening.. And i had speed 115 km/h for 15 minutes.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: oil consumption
Reply #1 - 05/03/17 at 13:08:32

20W 50 is to heavy and makes your bike run hotter,go to 10W40,also running at higher speeds also tends to use more oil.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/03/17 at 13:39:53

If anyone has had the head cover off they may have tossed the Stainless Steel Scrubby wadded up and crammed into the cavity just below where the vent tube attaches on the starboard side. Check the routing of the hose. If you can manage to get it pointing uphill as it's leaving the engine you can get some of the oil to settle back towards the engine.
High rpm creates an oil vapor loaded hurricane in the crankcase.
Shift before the engine is wound out.
Rotella T 15/40 is , well, Was, your friend.
I think now it's time to add ZDDP to it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kiwi rider 89
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/03/17 at 19:10:58

Hay I have a 1989 LS400 Iv'e dun 2000km since the last oil change and iv'e only just topped up the oil today for the first time
I ride at or over 100kmph every day for round 5-10 min and round 300km distance every week

I'd look into the oil you are using and for any leeks, it shouldn't be going through it that fast

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 05/03/17 at 21:45:02

I was advised by my oil science guy at Penrite that the bottom number should stay at 10 top number is what you want to alter depending on the season. I've initially found that my bike was running very hot with  15W50 synthetic but the temperatures dropped to normal after adjusting the air/fuel mix! But yeah 20 is as Batman said a bit too heavy.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 05/04/17 at 12:45:10

An interesting read about viscosity and temperature.

https://www.motorstate.com/oilviscosity.htm

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/04/17 at 13:11:54

Quote:
Engines that run low oil temps require lower viscosity oil. Look at an NHRA Pro Stock engine, a NASCAR Sprint Cup engine and a World of Outlaws 410 Sprint engine. Each engine has a very different operating oil temperature – Pro Stock, 100°F; NASCAR, 220°F and sprint cars, 300°F. All three engines run very different viscosity oils as well − SAE 0W-5, SAE 5W-20 and SAE 15W-50.

Here’s another thought regarding viscosity. It is vitally important to keep internal engine clearances in mind. Looser clearances in the engine and oil pump require higher viscosity oil to maintain oil pressure. Tighter clearances need lower viscosity oil, which provides better cooling and improved horsepower.

Some typical (for me) temps during the summer...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283117891/0

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 05/04/17 at 15:52:09

here 's a the poop on oil, oil flow is what lubes your motor and carries the heat away!the first num. before the W is the weight (viscosity) of the oil at an operating temp of 212 degrees .(car operating temp)the second num is level the oil is based on. the temps our air cooled motors run at tends to thin the oil (270to300 degrees) a 10W oil drops to 8-9 w,a 20w to about 15-16w ,The thin oil 10 w flows easier ,provides a thicker film between parts (due to it higher flow volume) and carries away more heat for the same reason.20 w oil being thicker provides higher oil pressure ,but doesn't get the job done!The bike runs hotter!On the hottest day of the year at the highest speeds the 10W40 is a better choise than a 20W 50.     OIL only gets thicker as it cools! 10W 40 has a viscosity of about 150 at 75 degrees 20W50 is at about 250 at 75 ,due to the second num the oil there based on.This is the reason 90% of engine wear occurs at startup (where no oil is thin enough to provide proper lubrication ) but the lighter oil will warm faster.that is one of the reasons auto makers are going to 5W30 ,5W 20 .this holds true for dino based oils.........synthetic oil is a bit different a15W 40 oil of this type is based on 15W "oil" which drops to a viscosity of about 12.5 at our operating temp. An additive package keeps it there about twice as long,and is why it doesn't have to be changed as often.IN fact if you could buy the package and put it in your oil it would never have to changed at all. The other advantage of a synthetic is as it cools to 75 degrees the viscosity is only about100w,which is still to high to lube the bike but warms much faster, reducing wear at startup.......Bottom line,  use the oil of your choise,but don't think a 20w50oil is going to do a better job than a 15w40 or a 10W40....both oils thicken with age,dino oil builds up wax(paraffins), and the additive package wears out in synthetics.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/04/17 at 19:07:59

Whatever oil gets 150 ThowZund miles out of the engine is good enough for me.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/04/17 at 21:28:58

manbat... you're ass backwards.

Quote:
the first num. before the W is the weight (viscosity) of the oil at an operating temp of 212 degrees .(car operating temp)the second num is level the oil is based on

don't confuse "w" with weight, in 5w-40, it stands for winter, a temp like -15°C or some BS like that.
the second number is the weight at normal op temp like 212°F

« Last Edit: 05/04/17 at 22:59:33 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 05/05/17 at 15:45:16

Just a side question to all of this:  What do most of you do in regards to the time (or mileage) you go between oil changes?  Years ago, when I worked at a Honda dealer, I used to change oil every 1,000 miles - back in the middle ages when oil was less than 50 cents a quart!  

Now, oils are much better and synthetics add a whole new thought to the question!

What do you old timer Savage owners say?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #11 - 05/05/17 at 15:57:22

I run Rotella Dino, and change it when one of the following happens.

1. 3000 miles
2. Transmission shifts hard (oil breaking down)
3. Gas in oil (repeated short trips in winter)

1 and 2 usually happen about the same time.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:33:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil consumption

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.