Engine paint (Read 96 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Engine paint
05/02/17 at 16:57:31

My engine is currently black, with raw edges on the fins. I like the look of the bikes with a completely raw engine.

Does anyone know if the black is paint, and can it be removed?

Got any tips?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Engine paint
Reply #1 - 05/02/17 at 18:53:45

I've never seen one of our motors raw. they're either painted silver or black ,and the factory paint doesn't come off very well. Raw aluminum would oxidize rather quickly and look pretty bad.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #2 - 05/02/17 at 19:44:02

Gotcha Batman! I didn't realise it was painted silver.

Looks like it's staying black  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 05/02/17 at 19:50:15

I think the all black engine paint plus revealed top fins, with the underneath black and the rest au natural looks fabulous and really highlights the big thumping cylinder, plus it's easy to clean and keep clean. Where as the completely blacked out 2017 looks awful imho.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 05/02/17 at 20:57:29

I agree Eau, the blacked out version (2017) loses much of the character of the bike.

The reason I asked is, I wanna lose the chrome covers from the top of the engine, and I think it looks great like that when it's all silver. It makes the most of the thumper, as you pointed out.

But I can live with black, and silver edges on the fins ☺

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 05/02/17 at 20:58:45

I recently ditched the fender rails too. I think it looks much better that way.

IP Logged
jasbmo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/02/17 at 23:23:06

I think it depends on the color of your bike, I went black so naturally the black engine with the exposed metal looked great!  Wink

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #7 - 05/03/17 at 00:15:49

jasbmo wrote on 05/02/17 at 23:23:06:
I think it depends on the color of your bike, I went black so naturally the black engine with the exposed metal looked great!  Wink

Mine's a kind of charcoal color. Black will work  Smiley

I just like the look of the silver light bulb!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/03/17 at 05:15:42

Duplicolor makes "aluminum" engine paint.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 05/03/17 at 06:44:50

If you want to highlight your black motor you might paint the edge of the fins red.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #10 - 05/03/17 at 07:27:48

batman wrote on 05/02/17 at 18:53:45:
I've never seen one of our motors raw. they're either painted silver or black ,and the factory paint doesn't come off very well. Raw aluminum would oxidize rather quickly and look pretty bad.

I actually want the oxidation. half the crank case cover surfaces are going that way already so the rest ought to match it.
This guy seems to be doing something right...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models/508172-removing-paint-from-...

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 05/03/17 at 07:51:49

You can strip the powder coat off if you use a really tough stripper....Eastwood sells a product for removing powder coat, and the Talstrip and aircraft stripper will work too - but it is a lot of work.  The stripper has a very strong ammonia smell, and it really burns if you get it on your skin.  (Don't waste your time with most of the strippers you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's that are made for furniture....it won't remove the stuff that is on the engine).

Good preparation is the key to a good paint job - if the engine is dirty, greasy or has shiny paint or powder coat left on when you apply the new paint....it won't stick.  You may be able to get paint to stick to the existing finish - but only if the surface is scuffed and cleaned and all traces of oil is removed before painting.

When I paint or powder coat the head or cylinder.....they get chemically stripped first, then bead blasted to get a nice surface that the paint or powder coat will stick to.

And if you do it wrong.....it will look really bad after a few hundred miles of heat and a few rain storms.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:22:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine paint

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.