MachoManRandy
YaBB Newbies

"I'm new, I
don't know what to
do" - Joe Dirt

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Jetting Mikuni VM-36
04/30/17 at 18:19:56

I'm working on tuning my Mikuni VM-36 on my '86 Savage.

Experiencing a lot of popping and inconsistency in the 1/3 throttle range and it decelerates hard when I close the throttle. Can't keep it happy when coasting as it seems to want to speed up all the time. Snappy, but sketchy.

Since buying it, I put in the VM-36, new throttle cable from Lancer, turned the air box into a tool box and put in a pod filter, changed the petcock for the raptor, cleaned the tank and put in all new line, added a fuel filter. I also put on a new battery, igniter, coil, and solenoid.

The previous owner put a straight pipe on it, which looks good, but makes it difficult for me to know what I need for proper jetting.

After reading Lancer's "Mikuni Jets for VM and CV carbs + Tuning Info" post, I believe I need a smaller Main Jet and a larger Pilot Jet, but the question is: by how much? I've spent a lot getting it to this point, and I'd hate to buy a bunch of jets I don't need.

Currently running:
Main Jet: 310
Pilot Jet: 35

From researching, I think I may need a 144-152.5 Main and a 50-55 Pilot, but I'm not sure.  Huh

Anyone know what size pilot and main I should be using? (elevation 2188 ft)

IMG_7611.JPG

'86, Mikuni VM-36 (#190 main, #20 pilot), Barnett throttle cable, Raptor petcock, fuel filter, new solenoid, igniter & coil, antigravity battery, custom seat, straight pipe for now.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jetting Mikuni VM-36
Reply #1 - 04/30/17 at 19:16:58

MachoManRandy wrote on 04/30/17 at 18:19:56:
From researching, I think I may need a 144-152.5 Main and a 50-55 Pilot, but I'm not sure.  Huh

That's what you need for the stock carb... not the VM.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262724030

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 04/30/17 at 22:06:00

I'll recommend that you get a muffler first. Trying to jet with straight pipe is tough and still will be down on power. Should have bought the whole setup from Lancer , he gets right , but anyways get your pipe a muffler you like first.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/01/17 at 02:47:03

I typically start a VM carb (without any mod's) with a #20 pilot, #190 main jet, and the needle on the 2nd groove, for a stock engine.  This gets you in the neighborhood, but fine tuning is always needed.  Engines are different and intakes and mufflers, or lack there-of, change final jetting requirements.  

BUT, you NEED a good muffler.

You can get mufflers with mild, moderate or louder baffles if that is your desire, but a straight pipe or just a header with a tiny baffle will always be hard to jet/tune.  IDEALLY, an exhaust system should have a muffler with 2x the volume of the cylinder/s.  For our single cylinder LS650 that equates to a muffler with a 1,300cc volume.  That yields the most power/torque.  Ever notice the bulbous mufflers on sport bikes ?  

The best bang for the buck is a lightly used Dyna, there are some on eBay for $25/pr. , or a lightly used tunable Supertrapp, or Cone Engineering, a host of others.

IP Logged
MachoManRandy
YaBB Newbies

"I'm new, I
don't know what to
do" - Joe Dirt

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reply #4 - 05/03/17 at 07:02:51

Thanks for the advice. Jets are on the way and I'll get a muffler as soon as I can. I will miss the clean look of the straight pipe, but more power is always good Grin

'86, Mikuni VM-36 (#190 main, #20 pilot), Barnett throttle cable, Raptor petcock, fuel filter, new solenoid, igniter & coil, antigravity battery, custom seat, straight pipe for now.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 21:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting Mikuni VM-36

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.