Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No power under load when wet (Read 130 times)
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
No power under load when wet
04/30/17 at 19:35:20

So me and my wife went for a ride today about fifty miles each way. Everything went well ever since doing the exhaust air filter and rejet she's seemed to have more power. On the way home it began to rain and when I was accelerating uphill when I gave her more throttle I got what felt like a rev limiter.  It kept firing like she was trying to speed up but got nothing. First time it happened I thought my tire was spinning. Other than that she revs smooth and runs well. I've ridden at 31 degrees and she starts with a little choke and no throttle. Any help is greatly appreciated thanks guys.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No power under load when wet
Reply #1 - 04/30/17 at 20:07:44

Dagillespi wrote on 04/30/17 at 19:35:20:
On the way home it began to rain and when I was accelerating uphill when I gave her more throttle I got what felt like a rev limiter.  

The 1st thing to eliminate is the petcock... in the tech section index... test your petcock.

Otherwise you're looking for a short while raining... get out your hose, I'm not kidding, lite her up and spray her down.

Also check your airbox for water.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 05/01/17 at 10:14:41

Clutch slipping? what oil are you using ? Is the clutch cable adjusted to allow full engagement?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 05/01/17 at 10:37:04

Did your air filter get wet?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 05/01/17 at 10:48:58

On one of the group rides Springman, ArtWebb and I got hammered in a rain storm.....it was a really strong rain.  I noticed that during the really heavy downpour my bike started to change "tone", and the engine started to have a deeper sound.  It turns out that the change is tone was because I had to keep adding throttle to maintain the same speed..and it kept getting worse until I had very little power.  Once the rain let up a bit the power returned.  When we stopped Springman and ArtWebb said their bikes both behaved similarly.

I don't know for sure what it was....water in the ignition, water in the intake air......or some other issue - but it became obvious that a really intense rain storm can affect 3 out of 3 Savages!

I asked Bill Moeller at BoreTech if it was possible that the piston/cylinder could have become too tight as a result of all the water hitting the air cooled cylinder.  Bill said that the cylinder would not shrink much faster than the piston - and he has never heard of a cylinder locking up as a result of rainwater.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - 05/01/17 at 14:45:55

Dave that sounds very similar to what I experienced. As for the petcock it's a raptor, and the air filter shouldn't have gotten much if any water on it its a cone. The I've had my clutch go in two vehicles but both times they slipped it was more of a revving up than a bogging down. I'll have to check for a short I did move a lot other wiring around lately I'll have to test it out. But I'm pretty sure what Dave mentioned is what occurred. Did any of you attempt full throttle when that happened?  Thanks for the replies guys.

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/01/17 at 15:34:44

My understanding is that bikes often run better in the rain, what with the added humidity.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 05/01/17 at 15:43:47

buster6315 wrote on 05/01/17 at 15:34:44:
My understanding is that bikes often run better in the rain, what with the added humidity.

High humidity, yes.  A drenched filter impeding air flow, not so much.  Wink  It's also possible for the water to partially ground the ignition, resulting in a weak spark.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/01/17 at 16:59:41

Your description Sounds like
The Engine produced RPM, but the bike didn't accelerate.
If that's true, the clutch is slipping.
I was soaked and at the stop lights I was getting shocked by the ignition. I was expecting it to stumble or die. Did neither, ran fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 05/01/17 at 17:46:17

Dagillespi wrote on 05/01/17 at 14:45:55:
Did any of you attempt full throttle when that happened?

Yep, the bike really ran poorly if I attempted full throttle.  That is what makes me think the electrical system likely was shorting out....full throttle requires more power from the ignition than partial throttle does, and shows up weakness in the spark system more than partial throttle or low speed does.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 05/01/17 at 19:22:48

If your feeling it fire ,you need to do something about your primary wire going to the plug . I'd inspect it for cracks/leaks these wires can fail in as little as five years.

IP Logged
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #11 - 05/02/17 at 09:28:17

JOG that's the thing there was no increase in rpm just an increase in effort I would say. As for Daves experience that sounds exactly the same.  I just had my fourth surgery on my hand today so when it heals a bit I'll be checking everything over.  Ignition wire sounds like the most probable cause.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 05/02/17 at 10:44:23

If your filter is a K&N cone they use only cotton(cheap) as a filter material , which tends to swell in humid (rain) conditions . I would look into buying a K&N" pre filter rain sock" , they state that it keeps out rain and dust,(which their filters apparently don't).

IP Logged
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #13 - 05/02/17 at 13:50:18

I've never heard of that before but mine is a cheap ebay job. Those socks are going for about twenty bucks so whenever I get some overtime I'll pick one up. Thanks for telling me about those even if that's not the problem I ride in the rain quite often so it couldn't hurt.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 23:33:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No power under load when wet

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.