Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code" Key Purchase? (Read 109 times)
hyofoo
YaBB Newbies

MoCity, TX
Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code" Key Purchase?
04/24/17 at 10:22:10

Hola Ya'll!

I've recently purchased a 1996 Savage and the previous owner lost the keys.  I've called the Suzuki dealers in my area, but haven't had much luck.  Some have said to call Suzuki directly.  

Anwyay....I came across this on eBay Motors: Suzuki-Motorcycle-ATV-New-Replacement-Keys-Cut-by-Code-Number-Guaranteed work  

Anyone have any experience with something like this?  Good?  Bad?

'96 Suzuki LS650
'69 Triumph TR25W
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code" Key Purcha
Reply #1 - 04/24/17 at 11:26:34

Not with motorcycles, but YES with toolboxes. My local locksmith is pretty good and I have had keys made for toolboxes I bought that didn't have keys. A key code, in my opinion, is accurate and should work so long as they are using the correct blank, which the code should also tell them.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
blackat13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/27/17 at 00:54:41

I'm having a similar problem - lost the keys to my 2007. I'm wondering what format the key code usually takes and the best place to find it? I've found a 4-digit number on the back of my helmet lock, but my local dealership says they need a letter to determine which blank to use. I've emailed the eBay seller the OP identified with the code I have, so we'll see what he says.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code"
Reply #3 - 04/27/17 at 06:28:02

You guys need to look at these two posts:

See my reply, #16 for reference key codes and images. Your code should dictate what blank you need but I'm not a locksmith.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1471782757/16#16

However, my local locksmith was intelligent enough to take a blank out to the bike and see if it fit first when I was getting a fork lock cut against my existing key but had to find a non-motorcycle blank that still fit (and he did). If you can't take your bike up there, maybe use a mobile locksmith that can come to you or ask to put a deposit down to take a few blanks home and see which fits.

And this one:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1150464511/15

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
hyofoo
YaBB Newbies

MoCity, TX
Reply #4 - 04/27/17 at 06:57:08

I found the key code on the black tape strip on the ignition housing.  I provided the key code to one of the sellers on eBay and he said he could cut it.  I placed an order for one and should be here soon.

I figured if I get one and it works....I can get copies made locally from that one.  

I'll let ya know how it goes.

'96 Suzuki LS650
'69 Triumph TR25W
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/27/17 at 08:22:47

I got some keys a few years back from an eBay seller, but I have no idea if yours is the same person.  The keys I got back did work ok but they were made from inferior metal and broke fairly easily.  Fortunately, none broke inside a lock.  I took the remaining keys I had to a local locksmith and had sets make for every car, truck and bike I had; about 10 sets in all.

IP Logged
hyofoo
YaBB Newbies

MoCity, TX
Reply #6 - 05/01/17 at 12:17:53

Got the key.  She fits:

And she works!

I see what LANCER is talking about....the key does feel like it could break rather easy.  I plan on getting some copies made on legit suzuki blanks here soon!  

'96 Suzuki LS650
'69 Triumph TR25W
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #7 - 05/01/17 at 16:28:22

where can we get the Suzuki blanks from? Just the dealer?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code"
Reply #8 - 05/02/17 at 06:39:52

TheNaughtyLemur wrote on 05/01/17 at 16:28:22:
where can we get the Suzuki blanks from? Just the dealer?

I dunno.  For what it's worth, the ILCO key blanks referenced in one of my links above seem to be good quality. Those are the blanks my local locksmith carries and the actual keys I have been using in my bike for 4+ years with no issues.

keys2_001.PNG

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 21:37:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Any Experience w/eBay "Cut-By-Code" Key Purchase?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.