Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Front pulley noise while applying throttle (Read 974 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Front pulley noise while applying throttle
Reply #60 - 05/09/17 at 20:02:32

Yeah again the cost of this stuff is irrelevant I was simply asking about what parts and procedures need to take place to address very loud squeal from the front pulley.

I've checked belt tension, checked if the sides of the belt touch the pulleys in forward and reverse, I've checked the swingarm for tire rub, and watched to see if said tire touches while running it in 4th gear lifted.

Why does it matter what I'm paying?  At what point did I ask for cost reduction then chosen a more expensive route?  I don't see why any of that matters.

At this point I'm curious as to why my front pulley only makes noise after 3rd gear.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #61 - 05/10/17 at 05:27:18

Ok so with the belt removed the front pulley makes very little noise until 3rd gear and then begins to squeak as before.  The only difference being that the pitch is a bit higher but it does get louder with speed.

I have 2 bearings on order, is there any reason to believe that high pitch scream at 3rd on up is something else?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #62 - 05/10/17 at 05:55:38

Eegore wrote on 05/09/17 at 20:02:32:
 Yeah again the cost of this stuff is irrelevant I was simply asking about what parts and procedures need to take place to address very loud squeal from the front pulley.

I've checked belt tension, checked if the sides of the belt touch the pulleys in forward and reverse, I've checked the swingarm for tire rub, and watched to see if said tire touches while running it in 4th gear lifted.

Why does it matter what I'm paying?  At what point did I ask for cost reduction then chosen a more expensive route?  I don't see why any of that matters.

At this point I'm curious as to why my front pulley only makes noise after 3rd gear.  
-------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, none of us know why your bike makes noise.  We are just making our best educated guesses and simply suggesting ways to diagnose and/or solutions.  We hope you figure it out and post back here for everyone to learn from.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #63 - 05/10/17 at 05:59:30

Eegore wrote on 05/10/17 at 05:27:18:
 Ok so with the belt removed the front pulley makes very little noise until 3rd gear and then begins to squeak as before.  The only difference being that the pitch is a bit higher but it does get louder with speed.

I have 2 bearings on order, is there any reason to believe that high pitch scream at 3rd on up is something else?
----------------------------------

Nice idea, removing the belt.  Let us know how that works out.  Bearings or seals are all I can think of.  If you fix the noise, the next step is to figure out the cause and eliminate it if you can.  If it was due to belt tension being too tight, you could go with the smaller tire or clearance the swingarm.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #64 - 05/10/17 at 07:01:04

ohiomoto wrote on 05/10/17 at 05:59:30:
Eegore wrote on 05/10/17 at 05:27:18:

----------------------------------

Nice idea, removing the belt.  Let us know how that works out.  Bearings or seals are all I can think of.  If you fix the noise, the next step is to figure out the cause and eliminate it if you can.  If it was due to belt tension being too tight, you could go with the smaller tire or clearance the swingarm.

Yeah finding out the cause is stage 2.  I'm looking for a shop that will run it 7000 miles on a jack stand but I think that's an assembly I'm going to have to put together myself.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #65 - 05/10/17 at 07:19:37

Wow,, you're willing to do that,, but to listen to a forum full of experienced owners, mechanics and engineers, well, that's not what you want..
So, go do,,
I would certainly enjoy knowing what you learn and how many miles you ride, and what it costs to learn that the only way to FIGURE OUT WHY IT SQUEAKS is to follow certain logical steps.
Im sure I know which side of the Tall Table you'll sit on.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #66 - 05/10/17 at 07:26:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/10/17 at 07:19:37:
Wow,, you're willing to do that,, but to listen to a forum full of experienced owners, mechanics and engineers, well, that's not what you want..
So, go do,,
I would certainly enjoy knowing what you learn and how many miles you ride, and what it costs to learn that the only way to FIGURE OUT WHY IT SQUEAKS is to follow certain logical steps.
Im sure I know which side of the Tall Table you'll sit on.

I don't know why you are offended here.  I've used the advice here to check my belt alignment, pulley play, belt tension, swing arm rub/tire expansion and used the additional information to order new parts that I don't have the tools to work on and set up a shop to do the work.

Other than changing the tire, which I've stated I am willing to keep and change parts as needed, what haven't I done?  

Personally I'm rather grateful that you guys have provided the information here as I would have assumed I only had to replace the front pulley bearings, which of course is wrong.l

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #67 - 05/10/17 at 07:52:37

Eegore wrote on 05/09/17 at 20:02:32:

4th and 5th are closest to the pulley.
I think the seal can be replaced from the outside, but the bearing can only be gotten from splitting the case.

I would consider pulling the seal and getting a look at the bearing.
I had a bearing fail on the counterbalancer.
Squealed quite loudly occasionally, till it failed.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #68 - 05/10/17 at 08:25:46

The intermittent nature, the pulse, would not be the typical sounds of a simple misalignment. If you would peel the tire off and test, you'd know more.
If parts need replaced inside the cases, blame the belt tension.
Taller tire equals higher gear.
Pulleys are available to achieve the higher gear.

Why is it you're so determined to use That size tire? So determined that you are willing to spend more than the bike is worth in maintenance and CALL it normal wear, ?

The same parts must be removed to access the shaft, seal, etc. that holds the belt..
Cutting the belt is not reasonable.
Yea, why Am I offended? My bad...
Carry on..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #69 - 05/10/17 at 09:00:53

Before you order parts....like bearings that can't be installed without a complete engine tear down - I would remove the pulley and see if anthing is going on behind it.  There is not much room back there, and a stone or some other foreign object could have gotten wedged behind the pulley.

The oversize tire may not be the cause of the squeal - but it is far more tire than bike needs for performance, and you are giving up acceleration and handling with that heavy tire on the bike.  I have run tires as narrow as a 110/80 on my Savage, and the engine can't make it lose grip.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #70 - 05/10/17 at 09:45:52

"4th and 5th are closest to the pulley."

Thanks.  This is useful on-topic information.  I can't see anything behind the pulley but its coming off and a new one is going on so I will see how that goes.

"Why is it you're so determined to use That size tire? So determined that you are willing to spend more than the bike is worth in maintenance and CALL it normal wear, ?"

I have 3 of the 150/90 tires.  I never called any of this normal wear.  Ideally I'd like to see if I can toss one on the front somehow, just to do it.

I have 2 new belts coming in, chopping up an old one doesn't affect me, I could care less about an old belt and I don't know why anyone else would.  

I respect the information provided here so thanks for helping me understand more about the bike.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #71 - 05/10/17 at 10:15:49

Eegore wrote on 05/10/17 at 09:45:52:
 I have 3 of the 150/90 tires.  I never called any of this normal wear.  Ideally I'd like to see if I can toss one on the front somehow, just to do it. 

You'd best check to see if that will fit between the forks before you work out fitting a rim to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #72 - 05/10/17 at 10:21:11

Yeah it doesn't look feasible at all unless I have some custom fork fabbed up.  I notice there's pretty minimal non-stock fork options for this particular bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #73 - 05/10/17 at 11:47:10

So, because you have three tires that don't fit, you're willing to jump through hoops to use them, even if it means spending more than getting three appropriate sized tires. You're willing to risk wrecking the output shaft bearings, to use tires you have. You're not wanting to Ride? That's rhetorical,,don't worry about it.
AND, you ordered Hundreds of dollars worth of stuff without any clue about the squeak. That's just not how experienced problem solvers operate.  It's your money, your bike. Good luck, and do report your progress and findings.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #74 - 05/10/17 at 15:00:51

Im still not sure why any of you have personal issues with how I spend my money on my bike.  If its not a issue to you then stop bringing up how much X-tire or X-items are.  I bought them, I know what they cost and if I don't need them later I will give them to people.

So with the front pulley removed I have the same symptoms: very loud squeal after 3rd gear.  I don't have the tools to see if or how out of tolerance the shaft is but a mechanic nearby said he can check it out.  I can say that it does not move at all if I try to wiggle it in any direction by hand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:27:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley noise while applying throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.