Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Front pulley noise while applying throttle (Read 974 times)
FL Savage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Orlando/Eustis FL
Re: Front pulley noise while applying throttle
Reply #45 - 05/09/17 at 09:29:32

Are you sure it's the front pulley?
A front pulley squeak would change pitch 5 times as you increase speed thru the gears, the rear pulley would have a single increase/decrease pitch as speed changed.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 05/09/17 at 09:37:07

I'm very certain its the front pulley.  If I kneel down between the two pulleys facing the belt I can hear noise from my left. (This is done outside not in a garage or enclosed echoing space)

If I lean in next to the pulley I hear squealing, if I move to the back pulley the noise dissipates, then gets louder as I move back towards the front pulley.  My friend indicates the same, he never even considered the rear as a source of the noise actually.  His girlfriend is just pissed we keep making it scream like crazy in their yard.

It doesn't make sense as you have stated which is why I was curious about it to begin with.  I'll see what it sounds like with no belt.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #47 - 05/09/17 at 09:52:51

I really hope you ment take off the belt, not cut it off. If you destroy the belt you will have stopped the noise, and will have to go with a chain! Cheaper to convert than to buy a new belt.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #48 - 05/09/17 at 10:23:59

This is reminiscent of the CheapNewbie experience. Why ask THE single most knowledgeable group questions about a problem and not listen? He intends to keep the tire,which he understands means that the belt is too tight, and could wreck engine internals, which he has indicated to me via PM is something he's willing to accept.
Rather than drop tire sizes and gear up with pulleys, he's gonna fight the squeaking belt.

How close is the tire to rubbing the swingarm?
Get it as close as possible,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 05/09/17 at 10:43:33

Had a set of tires on a lowered car that "whistled" inside the wheel well when I got up to highway speeds.   Wink

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 05/09/17 at 12:36:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/09/17 at 10:23:59:
This is reminiscent of the CheapNewbie experience. Why ask THE single most knowledgeable group questions about a problem and not listen? He intends to keep the tire,which he understands means that the belt is too tight, and could wreck engine internals, which he has indicated to me via PM is something he's willing to accept.
Rather than drop tire sizes and gear up with pulleys, he's gonna fight the squeaking belt.

I'm not sure in what manner I'm not listening.  ive checked belt tension and pulleys as indicated here, checked the tire and swingarm for rubbing and have prepared to replace bearings and driveshaft.  Besides the tire there's not much else that I know of to check.

If keeping the tire means I only have to replace pulleys/bearings/belts periodically I'd rather have the tire, but I won't know unless I try it out after making changes.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 05/09/17 at 12:45:06

OK.....so if you are listening.  Is your belt centered in the rear pulley, or is it rubbing on the outside edge of the rear pulley?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #52 - 05/09/17 at 13:04:24

Quote:
]I'm not sure in what manner I'm not listening.  ive checked belt tension and pulleys as indicated here, checked the tire and swingarm for rubbing and have prepared to replace bearings and driveshaft.  Besides the tire there's not much else that I know of to check.

If keeping the tire means I only have to replace pulleys/bearings/belts periodically I'd rather have the tire, but I won't know unless I try it out after making changes.

This is what you aren't listening to. Nobody has to PERIODICALLY replace pulleys, bearings( especially the bearing that supports the front pulley shaft) and belts on these bikes. Almost everyone rides them for many miles and many years and never replaces any of those things.  And nobody spends 4 or five thousand dollars rebuilding a Savage motor.The cost of PERIODICALLY replacing those parts far exceeds the value of the motorcycle.

I tried to be tactful in my first response. This time I'm going to be blunt. If you need to replace all those parts even once, much less PERIODICALLY on a 1995 Savage, then the bike is junk and you would be far better off just replacing the entire motorcycle.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #53 - 05/09/17 at 14:12:31

He's listening ,but He's not hearing or thinking. I would suggest that He should ride in first and second gear only ,in that way He may keep the larger tire and avoid having to work on the bike and any belt noise,problem solved!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 05/09/17 at 14:19:57

Again Im fine replacing the parts periodically, I fully understand if anyone else isn't.  Cost of parts, type and frequency really isn't important here, I am just making sure I am replacing everything to start off and then go from there.

As for belt alignment I thought I had posted that I checked it along with belt tension.  I lifted the bike and hand spun the rear tire, I can not see an area where the belt touches either pulley on the sides.  The only real test I did was place a business card between the belt and pulley and see if the belt ever "gripped" the card and it did not.  I tried this rotating forward and reverse on both sides of both pulleys.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #55 - 05/09/17 at 16:26:09

The first part you should change periodically  is your hearing aid battery! the second is your tire.then proceed  from there,the reason you hear more noise from the front pulley may be because it's smaller.The alignment of the rear may look good but you can't see it under load(with the bike running down the road) the rear pulley may be cocking when you apply more horse power ( like in third gear )you need to take things  apart ,as I and others have suggested and really look for the problem!You don't rebuild the motor to fix a belt problem!You fix the belt!If you listen to someone ,other than yourself ,you may yet get this thing under control.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #56 - 05/09/17 at 17:37:22

I tried. I'm done. I tried to PM sense to him. And explained he could regain the gearing the big tire is providing through pulleys, and he asked me how the tire affects gearing. So, that level of mechanical understanding is about to Cut the belt off. It's a CheapNewbie rerun. I'm out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #57 - 05/09/17 at 17:45:50

New part prices from one online vendor. There are other vendors, but the prices are similar.

Rear Pulley                    411.98    
Front Pulley                   100.53
Belt                                240.27
Bearing/
driveshaft                         48.42
oil seal/
driveshaft                         10.37
lockwasher for                   1.64      should be replaced when nut is removed/reinstalled
driveshaft nut
cushions/hub                    59.70      9.95 ea x 6

total                                   872.91 plus shipping

Those are the parts you are talking about periodically replacing. Even though you don't yet know if your noise is simply coming from a belt that can't be adjusted properly because your rear tire is too big.

From the same vendor:

Shinko 712 140/90 15 tire    65.72 plus shipping

This tire is a little bigger than the oem tire, but a lot of people use it, or another brand of the same size. It fits.  I have one on my bike as a matter of fact.

Good luck.

p.s. there is a bearing in the rear pulley hub that I forgot. probably another 20-30 bucks. I'm not going to go back and look it up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #58 - 05/09/17 at 17:49:54

Belt                                240.27

The cost of not simply Removing the belt, which is PART OF replacing All those
I'll just replace the parts later
Parts!
Newbie lives.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #59 - 05/09/17 at 19:40:57

yeah ,stick a fork in me I'm done!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7