Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Front pulley noise while applying throttle (Read 974 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Front pulley noise while applying throttle
Reply #30 - 05/08/17 at 19:34:59

Eegore wrote on 05/08/17 at 15:26:07:

I still wonder however if a greased/lubed/otherwise coated belt would only make noise only after 3rd gear.  My assumption is that the belt would make noise in all gears, but I could be wrong on that.

There really should not be any goop, lube, grease on the belt....they are supposed to run dry.  Lubing/gooping them up will attract dirt and grit.

With proper alignment the belt does not rub on anything, and does not make noise.  The thin part of the belt teeth rest on the flat of the pulley teeth....they don't really make much noise.  If the belt is rubbing on the side of a pulley...that makes noise.

If the noise is coming from the back....maybe your pulley hub bearing is going bad.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #31 - 05/08/17 at 19:51:00

Your worried that the shaft is straight? what makes you think it could ever be bent ,the 29 hp the bike puts out? It's harden steel it doesn't bend! why don't you disassemble things and look!Find out what's wrong and fix it! lubing the belt is like taking an aspirin to cure cancer.Your inexperience with the bike doesn't favor you guessing.It's time to quit talking about the noise and start wrenchin".

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/09/17 at 05:30:23

batman wrote on 05/08/17 at 19:51:00:
Your worried that the shaft is straight? what makes you think it could ever be bent ,the 29 hp the bike puts out? It's harden steel it doesn't bend! why don't you disassemble things and look!Find out what's wrong and fix it! lubing the belt is like taking an aspirin to cure cancer.Your inexperience with the bike doesn't favor you guessing.It's time to quit talking about the noise and start wrenchin".

I asked on this forum, in this thread:

"Just a clarification here: On a belt that has excessive tension it would be the rear tire assembly that should fail before the front drive mechanism correct?"

Response:

"I think we've heard just as many issues with the main shaft bearing as the wheel bearings.  Neither one usually"

So I figure I would address both issues while I'm working on it.  Make sure the front shaft is straight with a rebuild, replace front/rear pulley, replace belt and see if there's noise.  If there is put on another tire and see if there's noise then.  I plan on having this stuff done, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still wonder why a belt would only make noise from 3rd gear on up.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 05/09/17 at 05:52:21

Odd as it is that the belt is quiet up to third gear , that doesn't mean that you start by replacing parts in the motor. Ditch the TIRE , and adjust your belt tension, or, ask questions and do what you want.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #34 - 05/09/17 at 05:53:19

Eegore wrote on 05/09/17 at 05:30:23:
 I plan on having this stuff done, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still wonder why a belt would only make noise from 3rd gear on up.

Well it must be related to the speed the pulley is rotating.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 05/09/17 at 06:44:54

Dave wrote on 05/09/17 at 05:53:19:
Eegore wrote on 05/09/17 at 05:30:23:
 I plan on having this stuff done, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't still wonder why a belt would only make noise from 3rd gear on up.

Well it must be related to the speed the pulley is rotating.

Makes sense.  I will just have to do some research into how friction with a belt like that works.  Its basically a squeak....squeak....squeak...that turns into a high pitched wail as I increase speed and it remains once the throttle is released, and returns to being silent as it slows.  

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 05/09/17 at 07:38:20

As I said earlier.....the belt should not be rubbing on the side of the pulleys.  If you have a squeak.....the belt is not in alignment.

The most probable cause of the misalignment is either the rear axle not being adjusted properly - or the overly tight belt is pulling the rear pulley out of alignment.  I suspect if you look at your belt you will see that it is not centered in the rear pulley - it is all the way over to the outside....this is a result of the "too tight" belt cocking the rear pulley forward.

Doing the rubber floor mat shims may help - but straightening out the rear pulley will only make your "too tight"  belt "more too tighter".
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1446828836

And I am not aware of anyone wearing out a front or back pulley....and belts last a very, very long time if you don't abuse them.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 05/09/17 at 07:48:28

I'm with those who pointed out that the cost of a new rear tire is a lot less than chasing phantom problems.

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #38 - 05/09/17 at 07:51:46

Related: Are there instructions or a video of how to REDUCE the tension of the belt?  Alot found on 'checking' tension, not reducing it.

Do we just loosen up the axle and carefully advance the two bolts an equal bit?  A tape measure from the pivot to verify equal on each side; no canting?  

Sounds simple.  What am I missing? tks.

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 05/09/17 at 07:53:30

Yes, it is that simple.  I just make sure both adjuster bolts are seated before tightening the axle nut.

EDIT:  I don't bother with the tape measure but ti won't hurt.  Most people will tell you not to use the makings on the swingarm, but I think they are fine to get you int the ballpark.  I would start with the lines and see how it goes.  You can always make further adjustments if needed.  My belt made more noise trying to make it perfectly centered on the rear pulley than if I just lined it up equally on the swingarm .  YRMV

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #40 - 05/09/17 at 08:01:59

The statement you quoted said the wheel bearings, BUT there are three bearings in the rear,two wheel bearings and a third bearing in the pulley housing that has been known to fail,and would cause the rear pulley to misalign .It's time you bought a new tire of the proper size and check all the things we talked about in the above posts.You can talk all day or you can start wrenchin'.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 05/09/17 at 08:16:41

WWW   IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #42 - 05/09/17 at 09:20:32

Quote:
 Its basically a squeak....squeak....squeak...that turns into a high pitched wail as I increase speed and it remains once the throttle is released, and returns to being silent as it slows.  

Sounds just like my oversize tire expanding radially as speed increased.  Did I mention I had the same problem???  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 05/09/17 at 09:24:24

SALB wrote on 05/09/17 at 09:20:32:
Sounds just like my oversize tire expanding radially as speed increased.  Did I mention I had the same problem???  Roll Eyes

Wouldn't that be a hoot......if it turned out to be the too big for this bike tire that is the cause of all the trouble!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/09/17 at 09:29:24

Quote:

There's no marks on the swingarm from the tire.  With the bike jacked up and sitting next to it I can hear the noise coming from the front pulley only.

I'm going to cut off the belt today and see what it sounds like.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:36:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley noise while applying throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.