Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Front pulley noise while applying throttle (Read 974 times)
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Front pulley noise while applying throttle
Reply #15 - 05/07/17 at 14:40:06

Eegore wrote on 05/06/17 at 16:20:33:
 Problem is I have a 150/90 tire (even though Ive been told it wont fit, I assure you its there) so I cant adjust the rear pulley any further forward so I might just be stuck with bad belt tension for a while.  

Mine fit too.  Going down the road, centrifugal forces would cause the tire''s radius to grow, allowing it to rub in the center of the swingarm about the time I shifted from third to forth.  If you can't move the rear tire forward enough to adjust the belt, then does the tire really fit? Huh Undecided

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #16 - 05/07/17 at 15:18:05

I had a squeal in mine (2011) when I purchased it used, and what I simply did was to loosen it up, as it was definitely too tight.  The P/O had just had a new rear tire installed and they must not have known what to do.

That solved my problem!  I took real care though to make sure that both sides were lined up with the marks on the swingarm perfectly.  I know someone had suggested to ignore those marks and align my watching how the belt tracked on the rear pulley by trying to get it to track in the middle.  I think that is a mistake.  The tracking marks are there for a reason - to make sure the front and rear wheels/tires track with each other and the bike handles safely and correctly.

Belt too loose is better than too tight!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/07/17 at 18:35:26

SALB wrote on 05/07/17 at 14:40:06:
Eegore wrote on 05/06/17 at 16:20:33:
 Problem is I have a 150/90 tire (even though Ive been told it wont fit, I assure you its there) so I cant adjust the rear pulley any further forward so I might just be stuck with bad belt tension for a while.  

Mine fit too.  Going down the road, centrifugal forces would cause the tire''s radius to grow, allowing it to rub in the center of the swingarm about the time I shifted from third to forth.  If you can't move the rear tire forward enough to adjust the belt, then does the tire really fit? Huh Undecided

I'm familiar with tire expansion, but I have no wear/rub marks on my swingarm which I assume I would see something where it rubs right?  With the bike jacked up I can definitely hear noise only at the front pulley while my friend shifts forward in gears.  Once this tire wears out I will reduce size so I wont have to worry about replacing pulleys and belts.

I can twist the belt with no problem, however my friend cant get a full 90 degrees and his girlfriend can barely move it so it might be too tight.  The 90 degree twist method has a lot of variables.

In any case since the front pulley is not completely straight I was looking to find out if I have options beyond replacing the pulley or if that doesn't work rebuilding the front drive and if I go that route Im just going to have the whole engine done while its apart.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/07/17 at 18:37:56

Tocsik wrote on 05/07/17 at 14:36:09:
4500-5500.  Is that dollars?  Sorry, no idea where you are.  You can get a new bike for that.

Im out east of Pueblo, that's to have everything torn down and rebuilt, not just the front drive bearing.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 05/07/17 at 21:43:26

I can twist the belt with no problem, however my friend cant get a full 90 degrees and his girlfriend can barely move it so it might be too tight.

I wouldn't argue with you.
The cost of replacing stuff inside the engine might be more than one tire.
Not saying you w i ll, but it would seem like a possible problem a Too Tight belt Could cause.
If a Genuine Suzuki belt tensioner guide says it's okay, it's too tight to run quietly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 05/08/17 at 05:30:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/07/17 at 21:43:26:
I can twist the belt with no problem, however my friend cant get a full 90 degrees and his girlfriend can barely move it so it might be too tight.

I wouldn't argue with you.
The cost of replacing stuff inside the engine might be more than one tire.
Not saying you w i ll, but it would seem like a possible problem a Too Tight belt Could cause.
If a Genuine Suzuki belt tensioner guide says it's okay, it's too tight to run quietly.

Once I lube up the belt I don't get noise until 3rd gear or higher and its the front pulley from what I can tell.  Is this still a potential belt issue?  I assumed the belt would make noise under torque in any gear not just 3 on up but I could be wrong.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/08/17 at 06:11:29

If you can't adjust the proper belt tension without the tire rubbing the swing arm.....the tire is too big.

A belt that is a bit too loose is much better than a belt that is too tight.  When you have the belt too tight it puts excessive pressure on the countershaft bearing at the front pulley, the rear pulley, and the belt.  A new belt is 3 times the cost of a new tire......and far cheaper than replacing a countershaft bearing that requires complete disassembly of the engine.

If you have cracks across the outside of the belt....your belt is already damaged.  Here is a photo that shows a crack beginning on the outside of a belt - for some reason they get white deposits at the cracks.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 05/08/17 at 07:50:26

I examined the belt for cracks, that image helped for future reference.  

There's no noise with a lubed belt until 3rd gear, I assumed its a pulley issue at that point as the belt would make noise in all gears right?  

Or is it possible that a tight belt would only make intermittent noise above 3rd gear?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #23 - 05/08/17 at 10:47:11

It seems funny that your willing to spend 5000 on a rebuild ,but you won't spend the money to just buy a 140/90/15 tire to try and fix part your problem. (the belt being to tight)  the bearings on the drive shaft being inside the case have very little chance of being damaged,if you take off the drive pulley cover ,you should be looking at the in side of it ,there are a couple of raised webs and if you see anywhere the pulley has scraped it ,your front pulley is loose and moving in and out on the splines,You should have the rear wheel off to change the tire ,so remove the belt a try to shake the shaft ,to check for play in the bearings,next place the bike in gear and try to move the pulley front and back this would tell you the splines are worn another indication the nut is loose. the nut should be torqued to 94 ft/lbs. Next you need to inspect the rear drive,check the bearing in the drive pulley for play ,and before removal grab it at 3and 9 o'clock does it wiggle? Bad bearing or you need to do the "rubber mat "mod or seeing you had it off to do the 150 tire mount did you put the spacer that goes between the wheel and the drive pulley in properly or backward or missing? On reassembly spin the tire frontward and backward to align ,don't go buy the factory lines on the swingarm .You could buy a new bike for5000, you could spend 5000 on a motor rebuild and still have the same problem,or you could spend less than 200 and  fix the problem ,you choose!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 05/08/17 at 13:01:44

Consensus IS
replace the tire,, align and adjust belt tension.
Or, risk spending multiples of the cost of a tire.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hamman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/08/17 at 14:22:23

Pick up some belt dressing....

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 05/08/17 at 15:26:07

I'm fine with replacing belts and pulleys as they wear down that's not really the concern.  I've gotten good info here regarding options besides just replacing the final drive as the mechanics around here say and I plan on trying them out.  (An engine rebuild would just be handy as I wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years and I'd know for sure the front pulley shaft is straight)

I still wonder however if a greased/lubed/otherwise coated belt would only make noise only after 3rd gear.  My assumption is that the belt would make noise in all gears, but I could be wrong on that.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #27 - 05/08/17 at 16:36:15

Eegore,

I'm going to chime in here to suggest that you are ignoring some valuable advice that a few of the previous responders to your posts have offered. I don't wan't to offend you but I think you need to consider this.

Quote:
(An engine rebuild would just be handy as I wouldn't have to worry about it for a few years and I'd know for sure the front pulley shaft is straight)

In my opinion, regardless of what is causing the noise, a 4500 to 5000 dollar engine rebuild on a 22 year old motorcycle that is worth, optimistically and in excellent condition, about a thousand dollars, is not "handy" it is economic insanity.

The MSRP of a brand new 2017, S40 ( what Suzuki now calls the Savage)  is $5,799. Excellent condition five to ten year old examples with very low mileage can be found in the two to three thousand dollar range.

I don't know what the used motorcycle market is like where you live, but I suspect it can't be that different from what it is like here in Western New York. Craigslist and even the large motorsports dealers within 50 or so miles of where I live are literally awash in excellent, mechanically sound used motorcycles of all different brands in the 4 to 5 thousand dollar price range.

It's your money,  and your motorcycle, and I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but before you hand your bike over to the guy who offered to rebuild the motor at least give my comments some consideration.

IP Logged
Jarhead-CO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Muncy, Pa
Reply #28 - 05/08/17 at 17:32:04

I'll sell you my 2012 s40 with 700 miles on it for 5000.  Grin

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 05/08/17 at 17:46:15

Im not really looking for another bike to chop up, at this point Im just wondering more along the technical lines of if belt would make noise only after 3rd gear.

My assumption is that it would make noise in all gears and not just 3 on up, but I could be wrong.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:45:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley noise while applying throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.