Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Front pulley noise while applying throttle (Read 974 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Front pulley noise while applying throttle
04/21/17 at 22:04:56

So before I do more work on my 95 I was wondering if I should address my front pulley noise.  I read through the troubleshooting guides here and they typically point to pulley/belt issues.

A local mechanic said since its only squealing (and its loud) when I apply throttle that its a final drive issue and it needs reworked.  Its silent unless I apply throttle and its worse in higher gears.

It seems like the belt is a bit too tight and I'm pretty sure that there's an oversize tire (150 - 90) so there isn't any more room to move the rear tire forward.  So I'm looking for suggestions, do I have a smaller tire put on, a new belt, or dump a few grand into the front pulley shaft (or whatever its officially called) before I have some catastrophic failure?

Thanks for any insight here.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Re: Front pulley noise while applying throttle
Reply #1 - 04/22/17 at 01:11:58

You can still fully adjust the belt with that size tire

You need to make sure your front pully is tight

Your rear rire might not be staright which would cause the belt to track to the side, check left and right alignment bolts

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/22/17 at 04:09:53

You need to be sure the front pulley nut is tight - this is really important.

If you can't move your rear wheel forward to adjust proper belt tension - your rear tire is too big.  Having the belt too tight will ruin it - look for small tension cracks across the outside of the belt.....for some reason they develop white streaks after a while that make them easy to spot.  (Tighten your pants belt 3 notches too tight, and you will get an idea what this is doing to your bike).

Grab your rear pulley, and see how badly it wobbles - don't rotate it - but try moving the front of the pulley in toward the tire and then out from the tire.  If it wobbles more than a small amount, you have worn the pulley hub bearing with your overly tight belt.  You can try the rubber floor mat shim method listed in the Tech Section - or you may have to replace the bearing.  It is also possible to have a bushing machined for the rear pulley hub that eliminates the excess play....and this keeps the belt in alignment and the associated noise (When you accelerate the torque is pulling the rear pulley crooked - and the belt then rubs on the side of the front pulley.

You can also bevel the edge of the teeth on the belt, and this helps to reduce noise.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1446828836/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/22/17 at 07:20:21

There isn't any play in the rear or front pulley at all.  I will jack the bike up and see if I can see any alignment issue going on.  Wouldn't the rim of the tire wobble if its out of alignment?

I see other people on here using the same size tire so I'm not too sure if I need to replace this one but I will if I cant get this squeal to go away.  Thanks for the info on identifying the outer tension cracks.

Just a clarification here: On a belt that has excessive tension it would be the rear tire assembly that should fail before the front drive mechanism correct?

Thanks again

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/22/17 at 07:59:11

Eegore wrote on 04/22/17 at 07:20:21:
 Just a clarification here: On a belt that has excessive tension it would be the rear tire assembly that should fail before the front drive mechanism correct?

I think we've heard just as many issues with the main shaft bearing as the wheel bearings.  Neither one usually.

I don't see where you've told us how much tension is on the belt.
How much can you twist it?
or how much will it flop up and down?  Typical chain measurement.

I've had a bad bearing in my counter balancer, and that would squeal very loudly... intermittently like bad belt on a car.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/22/17 at 08:30:56

Eegore wrote on 04/22/17 at 07:20:21:
I will jack the bike up and see if I can see any alignment issue going on.  Wouldn't the rim of the tire wobble if its out of alignment?

If your rear axle is out of alignment - the belt will be sitting on one side of the pulley...it will not be centered.  When you apply the throttle is pulls hard on the back pulley, and tends to pull it forward....which tilts the pulley in a way that allows the belt to move outward on the pulley....and you get noise as the belt moves outward on the front pulley in response to the movement of the rear pulley.

The rear wheel hub has 2 bearings....and the load from the belt and rear pulley don't really affect the rear wheel bearings.  The pulley hub has a single bearing inside - and that is where almost all of the belt/pulley loads go.....and there have been a few failures of this bearing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/22/17 at 08:49:00

Until the belt tension and alignment are correct knowing if something is wrong deeper inside won't be easy. You've gotta get those things right, even if you hafta get a tire. You should not be riding with the belt like a banjo string. That could cause problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 04/22/17 at 09:17:34

A 150-90 tire really is too big.  I put one on my last S40, and even after smoothing the welds in the center of the swingarm, the old stretched belt barely fit.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/22/17 at 09:44:22

Regarding belt tension I can twist it 90 degrees by gripping the center lower band with one hand (thumb and all fingers) however my friend can not unless he applies "decent" force.  His girlfriend cant twist it more than maybe 40 degrees.  I can not twist it a full 90 degrees with one finger and thumb.

I cant find anything about testing tension by moving the belt up/down.  Also unless I'm seeing how to do this wrong I can not adjust the tension to be more loose as the tire is all the way forward.

Ive used this as reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2ZsZzTwRyk

I can pretty much replicate whats going on there although there's no real "measurements" going on.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 04/22/17 at 10:02:09

Don't go by the marks on the frame when adjusting rear wheel they are not even close to being right, jack the rear and spin the wheel until the belt tracks in the middle of the pulley.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 04/22/17 at 11:36:12

A method that I use for "chain" alignment is to remove the belt/chain guard so that I can look along the belt and easily see the alignment. A long straight edge also helps. As Batman said the marks are not really a good guide for accurate work.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/22/17 at 11:50:55

verslagen1 wrote on 12/06/09 at 17:22:01:
There are rubber dampers that are inbetween the pulley and the hub.
And there's a bearing between the pulley and the axle.
Could be the bearing is wore out, could be your dampers are too loose.

also it could be that your bike is bent.

My method for checking the belt alignment is different from the rest.
Lift the rear, take it out of gear and spin the wheel by hand.  watch the belt if it tracks to one side readjust to center it.  then reverse the direction of spin and recheck the belt.

Now with a wobly pulley, this might not work.  But I've done it on 3 bikes, one I'd adjusted incorrectly and it squeaked and another that was brought to me squeaking.  One more that I took completely apart and put back together with no problems.

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/06/17 at 16:20:33

Alright so after looking through these forums and making what adjustments I can I think I have it down to the problem being both options, bad belt alignment and front bearing (or whatever it is that makes up the front pulley assembly).

If I lube up my belt there is less noise, but once I'm in 3rd gear there is definitely squeal off the front pulley that happens even if throttle isn't applied.  

Problem is I have a 150/90 tire (even though Ive been told it wont fit, I assure you its there) so I cant adjust the rear pulley any further forward so I might just be stuck with bad belt tension for a while.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 05/07/17 at 11:43:56

Question about how to deal with this front pulley noise.

The shops around here can replace the bearing for about 4500-5500, (engine rebuild basically) the advantage being I don't have to worry about it for a while.

I also assume I could try to put on a new pulley and see if that fixes the noise, the advantage being saving some money.

I read some of the posts regarding this and some people need bearings and some don't, however I might be overlooking some options.

« Last Edit: 05/07/17 at 13:55:08 by Eegore »  
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #14 - 05/07/17 at 14:36:09

4500-5500.  Is that dollars?  Sorry, no idea where you are.  You can get a new bike for that.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:36:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front pulley noise while applying throttle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.