Send Topic Print
Mystery problem (Read 270 times)
mlittle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mystery problem
04/19/17 at 14:27:03

Hello.  I've got a 2011 Boulevard S40.  The reason I'm posting is that it has an ongoing engine problem which I've been unable to resolve.  

The engine wants to die while riding the bike.  It may run fine for a period of time - anyway from a few minutes to a much a 45 minutes into a ride.  After the trouble appears I have to blip the throttle to a great extent to even keep the engine running.  If I don't do this it will die immediately.  So that's the basic nature of the problem as it occurs while riding.

I've had it up to the Suzuki dealer, as well as a neighborhood mechanic.  Both times they rebuilt the carburetor, and both time the problem came back after the motorcycle set for a period of time.  (Anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks)  I'm not really sure what would explain all of these symptoms, and so I'm writing in hopes that someone can give me some suggestions.  Please let me know if you need me to provide any more details.

Thanks in advance for any help offered Smiley  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mystery problem
Reply #1 - 04/19/17 at 14:40:15

Test your petcock, thread in the tech section index.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 04/19/17 at 14:41:45

Do you still have the stock vacuum operated (automatic) fuel petcock on the bike?

The diaphragm in the petcock can go bad, and make all kinds of running problems.  Sometimes the diaphragm gets hard and no fuel flows - sometimes they get holes and flow too much fuel.

This forum suggests that you replace the stock petcock with one from a Yamaha 660 Raptor.   It is manual and very reliable - however you will have to learn to turn it ON to ride....OFF to store.

Look at the link below - it lists the official Yamaha part number of the petcock - don't buy a Chinese copy from eBay.  If you don't see the parts number listed or the white box it comes in - don't buy it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1366651397

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mlittle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/20/17 at 08:55:01

This is super helpful guys...  I had  come to the point of about wanting to get rid of this bike.  The Suzuki dealer didn't seem to know anything about this issue, and I had had a long talk with them.  So this forum is truly a big help.

Yes.  Everything on the bike is 100% stock. (well except for the battery)
So I'll get on this right away and see if this takes care of the issue.  It had gotten bad enough where I couldn't even ride the thing any longer.

Thanks so much!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/20/17 at 09:17:55

Whatever "Solution  " they sold you was an exercise in ignorance. They shouldn't charge for a "Repair  " that doesn't fix the problem.
That they know so little about a bike they sell is sad. That they would charge for labor that doesn't solve the problem is something else..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/20/17 at 09:21:23

Listen to these guys. I did and I am eternally grateful for it. My S40 is a 2012, and at just over 1,000 miles, it conked out under hard acceleration going uphill. Sputter, sputter, blah. Having read their sage advice regarding that POS stock petcock, I had already ordered and received the Raptor (see tech section). Turned it to PRIME to get home, and changed it that day. Now over 5,000 miles, and nuthin' but smiles Smiley. Also if you use E10 pump gas, add a fuel stabilizer like STA-BIL. It helps a lot with the backfires and carb issues.

IP Logged
koehlerrk

One cylinder to rule
them all...

East of Keuka Lake NY
Reply #6 - 04/20/17 at 10:05:10

Vacuum petcock... one of a handful of known problems with these bikes.

Picked up a 2003 with 18K miles for my wife. Bone stock, still had the brass plug in the carb! I've torn it apart, got a cam chain tensioner and head plug from Verslagen, and a Raptor petcock. Just ordered a jet set from Lancer, and that should take care of most of the issues for a while.

Forget the stealerships... the folks here have forgotten more about these bikes than most of the "service techs" will ever know.

I can tell you EXACTLY what it feels like to get hit by a truck. I do not recommend anyone try it themselves.
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #7 - 04/20/17 at 18:03:48

Dealerships around here can't count less than 4 cylinders.  Roll Eyes

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 04/20/17 at 21:14:32

There are no dumb questions! You should always come here first,we can answer with  most of the info you need to fix your problems and we don't charge you for labor,

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 04/21/17 at 10:53:27

There are no dumb questions..

Ohh, you have not heard some of the questions I have heard, then.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #10 - 04/21/17 at 11:08:19

There are more dumb answers than dumb questions .....  Cheesy

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 04/21/17 at 20:23:11

JOG ,Here's one ,can I build my bike into a three wheeler? but I already know the answer ,it's not a good bike to try it with ,the steering neck rake angle is 35 degrees and when you try to turn a corner the bike wants to keep going straight.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #12 - 04/22/17 at 03:48:01

Go to page one of the tech section on this site, there is an informative video on how to change the stock petcock to the Raptor 660 one.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
mlittle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/02/17 at 10:48:13

Hey guys.  Just a quick update regarding the "mystery problem ".  It seems the petcock replacement has resolved the issue.  First my neighbor discovered that by turning the lever to "prime" the trouble could be circumvented.  Next I installed the new raptor petcock ( as directed). The whole thing took about 45 minutes, but I had to drain a lot of fuel. (that was the longest part). Anyway, its been running like a champion racehorse ever since.  

From a guy that was so fed up I was about to sell the thing - needless to say you all have my heartfelt thanks.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #14 - 06/02/17 at 11:18:44

Another Raptor to the rescue.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged