Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Handlebars for short rider with small hands (Read 116 times)
Kristen53
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Handlebars for short rider with small hands
04/17/17 at 13:49:52

Hello! I'm a new rider and new owner of a 1999 Savage. I'm also rather short (5'2) and so I'm hoping to replace the current 9" biltwell window handlebars that are on my bike with something shorter. I've scoured this forum looking for tips and recommendations, but still haven't been able to locate the ideal bars. I'm hoping for a low rise that is still high enough to clear the tank. I'd also like a bit of pullback, to help with my reach, but not so much that it becomes like a cruiser.

The best thing I've found is the Biltwell TRACKER HIGH HANDLEBARS 1" Bars. Is there any reason these wouldn't fit on the savage?

And while I'm taking up your time, the clutch on this bike is extremely hard for me to pull. One reason right now is the angle of the current tall bars. I'm also going to lube the cables as soon as I can. After reading this forum, it seems the savage doesn't have aftermarket lever options (and my online research confirms this). One person suggested melting the levers myself, but given that I can't do that, I wanted to resurface this question to see if there were other suggestions to make the clutch more manageable for small hands.

THANK YOU!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Handlebars for short rider with small hands
Reply #1 - 04/17/17 at 14:17:13

Those should work for you, but the stock buckhorns might work well for you too.  And they have weights incorporated into the handles to reduce vibration.

Unfortunately, no one has found an alternate lever.
Although it represents a lot of ground breaking work, converting to 7/8" bars might offer more alternatives for levers and would give you a smaller grip.

Yes, lube the cable.  also check for any broken strands.

WWW   IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #2 - 04/17/17 at 15:11:31

I am 5'3",  68 years old, and I have small hands.  I have had no problem with the clutch lever on my S40, so I cannot help thinking there is something wrong with your bike. Hopefully it will be just a case of the cable needing lube.

As for the handlebars, my S40 has the factory "drag bars" and they suit me fine.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 04/17/17 at 15:15:31

Ryca has tracker bars too with not too much rise but not a lot of pullback
I like them , not a big selection in 1" bars.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #4 - 04/17/17 at 15:19:40

The cable is 18 years old. Buy a new one. Lube the cable and the pivots.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #5 - 04/17/17 at 15:22:08

I am 5'5" and the factory drag set up is pretty good for  me. I had Versy make me a set of 3" risers instead of the stock risers since I like to lean into the wind a bit. As for the clutch I find it pretty sweet. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 04/17/17 at 15:30:02

See if you can get someone with the stock drag bars (dealership?) to let you sit on it and try it on for size.  If you like it, I'm sure you could find bars that someone took off a project in the marketplace reasonably cheap.   Wink

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #7 - 04/17/17 at 15:48:59

Wondering if there is a forum member close to you: where are you located?

IP Logged
Kristen53
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/17/17 at 18:33:30

Thank you, everyone! This forum is amazing. I'm going to try the Biltwell High Tracker (if only because I prefer their look over the buckhorns--vanity!  Wink) And if lube on the cable doesn't work, I'll try to get a new one. It's encouraging to know the clutch hasn't been a problem for others.

I'm based in New York City, and can't wait to really start riding!

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #9 - 04/17/17 at 20:03:58

I can help somewhat possibly on the clutch issue.  For small hands you are out at your finger tips when you start to pull the clutch in.  My wife had to roll her hand forward to reach the lever and it left her with a very sore thumb.  Below is a text from a posting I did a while back.

I can solve one hand....the left hand.  My wife had the same issue and the biggest challenge came in operating the clutch smoothly and not ending up with a sore thumb from rolling her hand forward to stretch for the clutch.  We tried to adjust the clutch with more play to bring the lever (and feather point) closer to the grip but that leads to not fully engaging the clutch and makes for tough shifting which is hard on everything.

Here is how we fixed that.  I ride many bikes one of which I had just put new grips on.  My old ones were smooth black ones.  All my bikes have 7/8" bars.  What one needs to remember is the throttle side of a bike is always 1/8" bigger than the clutch side.  So my grips I had just taken off were 7/8" and 1" inside diameter.  They were from a sport touring bike so they were smaller outside diameter than cruiser grips usually are.  That last point is key.

Now S40 bars are 1" and then the throttle side is 1-1/8" id.  This is typical of cruisers.  That combined with the typically larger OD of grip leads to some very big grips for little hands.  

What I did then was to take the throttle grip from my sport touring bike (which would have a 1" ID) and slide it on the clutch side of the S40 which like I said has a 1" bar so it fit beautifully.  It was smooth black and no end on it since the Triumph has bar ends so I just popped the stock S40 end cap on step 1 is done!  It is smaller in OD than the throttle side but looking at the bike you never see it.

Now step 2.  Since the grip is smaller a small hand can reach further around and past it out to the lever.  That is win #1.  Win #2 and step #2 is to adjust the free play in the clutch cable.  Where I said above you get hard shifting because your don't fully engage the clutch doesn't happen at the same point now.  It did with the stock grip because it is larger in OD and limits how far you can pull the lever.  With the smaller OD grip it allows you to pull the lever farther making up for the added play you put in the cable.  Win #2!.

So basically you give her a smaller grip and this allows for better reach and couple that with a longer lever throw allows you to put a little more play in the lever to bring the feather point back just a little but you still have the stroke for full clutch engagement for smooth shifting.  Combined we had a very successful mod!  

She then proceeded to put 6500 miles on last summer!

Now this next section is some additional detail that was asked about the grips.

I have yet to find "small" grips for 1" bars which is what most cruisers run.  What I used on my wife's bike was the throttle side grip of the Pro Grips 780 superbike grip set  PG780bBX.

http://motorcycle.chaparral-racing.com/racing/Pg780bx

I put the throttle side grip on the clutch side of the S-40 and left the S-40 throttle stock.  It is larger diameter but she doesn't have any issue with the brake.  The larger throttle will lead to less hand fatigue on long rides.

let me know if you have any questions

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/17/17 at 20:17:09

Or use bicycle handle bar tape.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 04/18/17 at 03:42:42

I have fairly small hands too. I recently installed Bitwell 'Recoil' grips on the 1" bars. They are thinner than the stock grips and much firmer. I always found the stock grips a bit thick for my liking. I like the tapered edges on the Recoils too. I can get my index finger and thumb further around them.

I had to file the ridges down on the stock throttle tube until they were almost gone. The grips have worked out really well. I feel like I can get a proper hold of the bars.

https://www.biltwellinc.com/p305/buy/parts-amp-accessories/grips/recoil/-reco...

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Kristen53
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/18/17 at 07:17:05

Thank you, everyone! And @smokin_blue, I just ordered those ProGrips. A brilliant and simple solution! I had run into the same problem when I tried to give myself more play in the clutch, so hopefully this will allow me some play while make the grip a little smaller. THANK YOU!

The community here is one of the best parts of riding motorcycles, and owning a savage!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 02:06:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handlebars for short rider with small hands

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.