Many issues (Read 163 times)
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Many issues
04/16/17 at 00:03:20

Ok so I have many issues.  First when I removed the spark plug boot, the boot came off but there was an additional rubber piece attached to the spark plug?  Pulled it off and tried to put it back in the boot but it wouldn't go far.  Finally got it stuck in the boot, but now the spark plug boot won't go on the spark plug.  My question is...Do I need it?  Does the boot suppose to go all the way down the spark plug?

Wondering why I am looking at the spark plug?  Well because my bike won't start (I just put the darn thing back together).  After taking out the spark plug to see if it was sparking, I noticed a puddle of gas under the bike.  Seems to be flooding because it was leaking through the air filter (I have a pancake filter attached directly to the carb)

Clean the carb you say?  Just got the carb back from sending it to a professional to clean it and check it.

So yea, anyone can help with my above issues?

2007 Suzuki Savage to Bob or Die!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Many issues
Reply #1 - 04/16/17 at 03:30:17

The rubber boot on the spark plug cap seals out water.  If you have to ride in the rain......the front wheel throws water everywhere, and most likely your spark plug will stop working without that rubber seal.

Have you checked to see if any fuel is getting to the carb?  Did you try moving the petcock lever to PRI?  Fuel in the air box is very often caused when the diaphragm fails in the stock vacuum operated petcock.  Pull the vacuum line that operates the petcock, and see if there is any fuel in it - it is supposed to be dry.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #2 - 04/16/17 at 07:43:30

Dave wrote on 04/16/17 at 03:30:17:
The rubber boot on the spark plug cap seals out water.  If you have to ride in the rain......the front wheel throws water everywhere, and most likely your spark plug will stop working without that rubber seal.

Have you checked to see if any fuel is getting to the carb?  Did you try moving the petcock lever to PRI?  Fuel in the air box is very often caused when the diaphragm fails in the stock vacuum operated petcock.  Pull the vacuum line that operates the petcock, and see if there is any fuel in it - it is supposed to be dry.

++++++++++++++++++++++++±+++++++++

Well my concern with the boot is that the little rubber stopper is attached inside the boot, but it seems to not allow the spark plug to fully connect to the lead.  If I take the little stopper price off then I can push the boot all the way down to where the leads touch the spark plug.  I'll post a picture to see because I'm having a hard time explaining it

As far as the gas in air filter, I have the raptor petcock installed so I have the vacuum line on the right side plugged.  

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #3 - 04/16/17 at 08:02:21

Here's the photos of the spark plug boot and cap

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 04/16/17 at 12:20:39

Leave it off for now, it's not required to be the bike running. Once you have it running you can always work on reinstalling it. To be honest, my bike doesn't have that boot. I also avoid riding in the rain so I'd never miss it.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 04/16/17 at 16:35:02

If you can feel the wire slipping over the threads on the plug ,that should give you a firm connection,Yes the boot goes all the way down the plug,the part in the center of your hand has the rubber that seals around the outside of the plug and prevents any water from entering, I don't know what the piece is between your finger and thumb ,but I think it may belong up inside the boot you may have to try taking off the outside seal and reinserting it . I don't believe the front tire will throw water that high, and even if it does I' ve never seen water run uphill (the plug connection should stay dry it's up inside the cap).      Assumeing your raptor petcock to be good ,the problem with your carb is, float valve hung up,or leaking by,float leaking(sinking),float level set too high,float installed upside down. all of which causes the level to be to high or the valve not to fully close or close to late,at which point gas flows out the carb one of two ways,into your air cleaner or into your oil (or both!) P.S. in the first pic. your decomp. cable looks bone tight, there needs to a bit of play in it ,I'd check the adjustment.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #6 - 04/16/17 at 21:56:41

And the darwin award goes to....Me!  I think that rubber boot went to my spark plug wrench.  Yup.  Happens.

Anyways, replaced the spark plug and have my battery on charge.  Should I try to start it tomorrow or take the carb out and check that?  I took the carb to a professional and they cleaned it so hopefully they didn't do anything wrong when putting it back together....

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 04/16/17 at 23:39:52

Arty Dodger wrote on 04/16/17 at 21:56:41:
And the darwin award goes to....Me!  I think that rubber boot went to my spark plug wrench.  Yup.  Happens.

Anyways, replaced the spark plug and have my battery on charge.  Should I try to start it tomorrow or take the carb out and check that?  I took the carb to a professional and they cleaned it so hopefully they didn't do anything wrong when putting it back together....

Based on past reports here of "Professional" work done on our simple little carburetor, I would not bet on it being cleaned properly and assembled correctly.  It is possible that it was done correctly but ......... ??

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 04/17/17 at 06:26:02

We've seen Perpheshunalls install the oil filter bakkerds. Paying someone is no guarantee of their skill, knowledge and willingness to do a good job.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #9 - 04/17/17 at 06:44:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/17/17 at 06:26:02:
We've seen Perpheshunalls install the oil filter bakkerds. Paying someone is no guarantee of their skill, knowledge and willingness to do a good job.

++++++++++++++
If ya want something done right, gotta do it yourself!  Guess I'll be taking the thing apart.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 04/17/17 at 09:12:51

If you have fuel dripping out your air filter ,believe me ,something is not right and it won't cure itself ,you might try tapping lightly on the side of the carb with a screwdriver handle to see if the float is hung up ,before you disassemble it.If that doesn't work see my earlier post.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 04/17/17 at 09:43:42

I think that rubber boot went to my spark plug wrench.

Good news for me...I don't have to go track down a part that doesn't exist.

Let us know how the carb works. A cleaning and a reset of the float height should be within the capability of a "pro" mechanic...and perhaps yourself. Don't be afraid to tackle this one next time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #12 - 04/17/17 at 09:53:59

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 04/17/17 at 09:43:42:
 I think that rubber boot went to my spark plug wrench.

Good news for me...I don't have to go track down a part that doesn't exist.

Let us know how the carb works. A cleaning and a reset of the float height should be within the capability of a "pro" mechanic...and perhaps yourself. Don't be afraid to tackle this one next time.

+++++++++++++++++++++

That's why I was so frustrated because I couldn't find that piece anywhere online lol.  Yea a buddy of mine works at a dealership so he cleaned it for free which is why I got him to do it but maybe something happened.  I don't know.  I'll try to tapping on the bowl technique and see if that worked.

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #13 - 04/17/17 at 09:56:36

batman wrote on 04/16/17 at 16:35:02:
If you can feel the wire slipping over the threads on the plug ,that should give you a firm connection,Yes the boot goes all the way down the plug,the part in the center of your hand has the rubber that seals around the outside of the plug and prevents any water from entering, I don't know what the piece is between your finger and thumb ,but I think it may belong up inside the boot you may have to try taking off the outside seal and reinserting it . I don't believe the front tire will throw water that high, and even if it does I' ve never seen water run uphill (the plug connection should stay dry it's up inside the cap).      Assumeing your raptor petcock to be good ,the problem with your carb is, float valve hung up,or leaking by,float leaking(sinking),float level set too high,float installed upside down. all of which causes the level to be to high or the valve not to fully close or close to late,at which point gas flows out the carb one of two ways,into your air cleaner or into your oil (or both!) P.S. in the first pic. your decomp. cable looks bone tight, there needs to a bit of play in it ,I'd check the adjustment.

±++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks!  I'll check on that cable and see.  How would I know the optimal cable slack?

IP Logged
Arty Dodger
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shreveport, LA
Reply #14 - 04/17/17 at 10:14:28

This video was before I noticed the gas was coming out of the air filter.  May shed some light on why it's not cranking?

https://youtu.be/8_Z9yWVABY8

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 22:59:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Many issues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.