Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Engine not turning (Hard to turn manually) (Read 537 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Engine not turning (Hard to turn manually)
Reply #45 - 04/17/17 at 15:39:45

WOT, at low rpms is good for break in. It creates high cylinder pressure without excessive heat.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #46 - 04/17/17 at 19:55:29

Gary ,I'm a bit confused, how do you get low RPMs with a wide open throttle?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #47 - 04/17/17 at 20:03:58

I think he means to open the throttle fully from idle instead of jerking it open from halfway or so while cruising at 3500 rpms. Starting from a higher rpm will start with more heat.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #48 - 04/18/17 at 01:52:26

I suppose WOT (Wide Open Throttle?) is most relevant for cylinder/piston/ring break-in, but I can't see how that will influence what happens between cam shaft and rocker arms.

My thinking about what influences pressure between the cam shaft and rocker arms is limited to lubrication, valve spring force and RPM's, where higher RPM's will result in higher accelerations of the rocker arms and therefore also higher forces ultimately resulting in higher pressure between the cam shaft and rocker arms.
However, higher RPM's also result in more oil pressure, hence the need to make sure there are enough RPM's to generate sufficient oil pressure to keep those surfaces well lubricated.

I don't think the cam shaft and rocker arms can "feel" any difference between being rotated by forces from gasoline being burned or from being dragged by the rear wheel, while for example the piston rings will see a significant difference between the two.

Does this make sense, or...?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 04/18/17 at 02:54:24

The comments about opening/closing the throttle, and at what speeds to ride are all related to the cylinder/piston ring break in.  Since you didn't change the piston rings.....those issues don't change.

The camshaft break in is a lot less fussy - you aren't supposed to idle the engine for the first 10 minutes of operation.  They want a lot of oil on the cam, they want the cam to be moving fast so they oil doesn't have time to squeeze from between the cam lobe/rocker, and you should have been provided a cam assembly lube that has a lot of "stuff" in it to keep the cam from scuffing for the first few minutes. (Probably a moly and ZDDP paste).

Don't overdo the engine running without being ridden.......the engine is air cooled and designed to be ridden - not stationary.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #50 - 04/18/17 at 05:48:07

batman wrote on 04/17/17 at 19:55:29:
Gary ,I'm a bit confused, how do you get low RPMs with a wide open throttle?

Crack the throttle open (WOT) at 2,000 rpm and allow the engine to increase rpm to 4,000. You have high cylinder pressure and low (not redline) rpm. Makes for happy valve guides, seats and piston rings.

Cams don't necessarily need a break in. What will wear a cam in hour 1 will do the same in hour 1,000. Cams need oil, so set your idle rpm to no less then 1,300 rpm. Excessive idling is not good.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #51 - 04/18/17 at 14:15:56

Just a status from here... Had a 1 hour drive today, while we had some less than wonderful late year snow... Angry
Luckily it was not much, so not a big issue driving.

I haven't given it some throttle yet, as I want to drive it easy for some hundred kilometers just in case, but so far it feels and sounds VERY nice.

I think I could hear some slight ticking from the valves towards the end of the drive. I suppose this is to be expected, considering new rocker-arms with their included adjustment screws?

Originally the plan was to re-build the bike a bit, but then I found out the cam shaft and rocker arms were bad, so I ended up "only" giving the engine a major overhaul.

Below is a few photos from this evening:

Very, very, very happy about it at this point... Now looking forward to some better weather and some good long cruises.  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mekh

Suzuki Savage Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #52 - 05/20/17 at 23:53:12

Just a quick little follow up here... Smiley

I have now put about 2-3000km on the clock since I fixed this issue and it has been driving just fine (when warm).

Yesterday however, I think it sounded like it had a small leak from the head gasket, which is probably because I have not re-tightened the header bolts as they should have been.

This goes together with a distinct (not problematic) ticking from the valves, so today I will re-tighten the header bolts and re-adjust the valves afterwards.

When I have checked that it runs fine, I will re-jet it a bit richer, and see what that does for it... (Having received a jet set from Lancer Smiley)

I might even put on my muffled (DIY) Raask exhaust, just to see what it does for its looks and sound.

Very happy with how it runs so far, and I just had the bike pass 65.000km (+40.000 miles) the other day, but hoping my renovation has put quite a few more kilometers in it Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:31:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine not turning (Hard to turn manually)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.