Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Watch our for road hazards... (Read 84 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Watch our for road hazards...
04/13/17 at 06:36:43

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/13/motorcycle-rider-beheaded-in-san-bernard...

Maybe a great idea to slow down really slow, if not stop, when we approach accidents on our two-wheelers.

Be safe out there!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Re: Watch our for road hazards...
Reply #1 - 04/13/17 at 07:23:26

This happened to a childhood friend of mine. We were riding our dirt bikes on trails off the edge of our neighborhood in Montauk L.I. and the main trail that we take form the road passed behind the yard of the house on the corner. This day there was piano wire across the trail between two trees. Peter was in front of the group and being the daredevil he was going pretty fast when he hit it.

The owner of said house was always belligerent towards us and called the police frequently because he hated the noise from our dirt bikes.  The police suspected him of putting up the wire but couldn't prove he did it.

Peter died instantly. Right in front of his little brother
Doug too. I was the last bike and the youngest of us so they stopped me from going up the trail to see what happened. It was pretty horrible.
It happened right here, off into the woods a bit. The trail seems grown over now and the yard of the house seems to have been expanded over the line of the old trail.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0669713,-71.9500434,3a,75y,303.07h,77.19t/dat...
If you go to satellite view you can still see some trails in the woods.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 04/13/17 at 07:59:17

philthymike wrote on 04/13/17 at 07:23:26:
The owner of said house was always belligerent towards us and called the police frequently because he hated the noise from our dirt bikes.  The police suspected him of putting up the wire but couldn't prove he did it.

Of few adult friends of the children should have "visited" the property owner until he "remembered" what he had done. This should have happened every day until he was either in jail or in an insane asylum.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #3 - 04/13/17 at 08:13:28

Well we made sure we rode past that house more frequently and revved our engines as loudly as we could while doing so. Several of the kids took the silencers off of their two strokes. The police didn't bother us about the noise anymore.

For my part I found all of the hunting trails in those woods and knowing this guy liked to hunt back there I started laying trip wires along those trails at shin height. Find two trees bracketing the trail. Put a nail in each on the side opposite the trail. Wind black wire around a nail, then around the trunk and then string it across the trail 2 or 3 times and around the trunk and the nail on the other side. Now drive the nails into the tree and you have a nice bass guitar note when you pluck it. The person walking into gets their shins cut up and falls on their face.
I found many of my tripwires shot up with shotgun pellets.
Usually the trail showed signs of the fall. Once there was blood.
It wasn't legal hunting land. Mostly poachers in there and the town had been trying to catch them anyways. I hope I got that guy once or twice though.

07 S40 (Thumpy): 666cc big bore, stage 2 webcam, dyna muffler, 412 shocks, Barnett clutch, Kawasaki ZL900 FE
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/13/17 at 08:17:01

The old man next door to my grandparents had a mailbox that leaned out toward the road. He solved that problem by using a length of fat wire. I was nearsighted and had never seen the wire, had no idea about the mailbox problem, until I was headed home and decided to swoop across the end of his walk, behind the mailbox and coast Triumphantly into the front yard. I think my bike made it. I got hung out to look at my toes and wonder if I was gonna die.
On a motorcycle? Someone REALLY should have been checking out the guy who cried about the kids. Search to see if he had more wire like killed the boy,
Yeah, he Probably did it, but anyone who wanted to see him in jail Could have done it. And he sounds like someone who just might have an enemy.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
philthymike
Serious Thumper

Wallowing in my own
crapulence

Philadelphia Area
Reply #5 - 04/13/17 at 08:32:39

Back in the early 80's the town of Montauk had its own police department with a sum total of two officers and a chief. We knew them all really well from being chased all over town by them when it wasn't tourist season and these guys were not the sharpest tools in the shed. In fact pretty much everybody in town loathed these clowns. Mostly all they did was harass us locals and act like they owned the place. I'm sure they filed it away as an accident to avoid any paperwork and having to call in the State Police. The owner of that house apparently had an alibi and that was the end of any half-hearted investigation from these ticket writing wastes of space.
If Peter's dad ever confronted the guy I never heard about it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/13/17 at 09:05:43

If you know which way the target is going and that only the target will fall, a piece of a limb cut sharp and buried in the fall zone would be a nice touch.
Small treble hooks dangling from a limb could be helpful, especially if the target is taller than the innocents who might be there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 04/13/17 at 10:15:03

Same thing happened to a kid on a mini bike in my neighborhood when I was 12 , I was hoping my parents didn't find out , thought for sure I was going to lose my mini bike ! He hit a cable across the road at a dead end heading into the fields where we would ride! His head kept going  some 200 feet down the hill around the corner wound up in the storm drain.
Gave dead end a new meaning ! It was ugly !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/13/17 at 11:21:58

Your dad probably upped the insurance on you and tuned the carb up.
Or, maybe he didn't know my dad.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 04/13/17 at 12:10:48

JOG , There is something seriously wrong with you , your warped , beyond help !! That's why I read everything you write outside of tall table !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 04/13/17 at 12:26:46

Well, then You're missing out on the Good Stuff, dude..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/07/24 at 13:36:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Watch our for road hazards...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.