Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Should we wear helmets? (Read 432 times)
Dagillespi

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NW Pennsylvania
Should we wear helmets?
03/29/17 at 15:36:07

So the title was totally a joke. I personally wear a helmet eventide I leave town on the bike, but an interesting article nonetheless. I'm neither for or against wearing helmets. We're riding around exposed on hundreds of pounds of steel around thousands of texting teenagers. That said I hope you all enjoy the read.

http://www.pennlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/03/modifying_the_helmet_law_h...

IP Logged
twhitus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pinellas park, floida
Re: Should we wear helmets?
Reply #1 - 03/29/17 at 15:57:52

Yes you should always wear a helmet. Mine saved my life "just" but has left me with dentures, 2 plates in my skull and a partial lower jaw prosthetic.  This does not include the aches and pains from a broken neck, 2 legs, and the 6 months recovery in the hospital to learn how to walk again, a task that 17 years later is painful after a distance.

Should you be required to wear a helmet by the government if you dont wish, no.

I wear a helmet not for me but those i would leave behind if i chose not to because it looks cool.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #2 - 03/29/17 at 18:31:19

I'd wear a helmet whether it was mandatory or not. Do I want the government telling me to wear it? Not really. I'm glad that they do though. Some people have to be told certain things. There's a tag on hair dryers that says not to use them in the shower. Duh! Some people need to be told!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #3 - 03/29/17 at 19:41:18

They do offer some, but far from total protection. I wear mine and would wear one even if it weren't mandatory where I live. It's a white one and not a blend into the blacktop thing.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 03/29/17 at 19:44:19

I have broken 2 helmets and ground a hole in another,guess I was doing a 65 mph head stand ! I don't want to know you if you don't wear a helmet cause I really hate funerals !
All 3 of those wrecks would have killed me , one had six months of healing from road rash and one spot on my back still hasn't healed after almost 40 years !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 03/29/17 at 20:34:46

been to Indianapolis at least once a year from 2014, and almost NO ONE wears a helmet. Scary to see the first time!

Lost a friend a long time ago without a helmet,  on a joyride around the block. Sad

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/30/17 at 03:35:16

Yes we should wear a helmet.

Should it be a law - maybe not.....unless my insurance rates are going to be affected by your brain injury and the related hospital bill!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/30/17 at 04:04:58

Totaled three bikes.
Twice, no helmet. First time, IF I would have been wearing one, instead of cracked vertebrae,my neck would have been snapped.
Second time, head never touched the ground.
Third time, slammed my face into the cab corner of a pickup. Without the full coverage I might have died, best case scenario, lots of reconstructive surgery and dental work.

If your idiotic behavior exposes me to loss the problem is that the system is screwed up. When I have a Vested interest in how my neighbors live, we have a problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #8 - 03/30/17 at 09:17:21

Depending on the circumstances, a helmet may or may not save you're life.  I'll take the added insurance.  Where helmets really shine is preventing head injury.  Personally, I'd rather die, than be reduced to a vegetable, while taxpayers pay the bill to keep me alive, and putting my family through the ordeal.

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #9 - 03/30/17 at 10:12:02

SALB wrote on 03/30/17 at 09:17:21:
Depending on the circumstances, a helmet may or may not save you're life.  I'll take the added insurance.  Where helmets really shine is preventing head injury.  Personally, I'd rather die, than be reduced to a vegetable, while taxpayers pay the bill to keep me alive, and putting my family through the ordeal.

As a resident of Ontario Canada we get free (taxpayer funded) health/hospital care.
I think that I should take reasonable care of myself (helmet/leather shoes/pants/shirt/glasses/gloves) so not to unduly put a strain on our health system.
I lost friends back in the early '60s before helmet law - I choose to look after myself.

Bob

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/30/17 at 18:28:59

This is why I wear a helmet.

brother-in-law:  Found alive but barley on side of road with his Harley, no helmet, severe head trauma.  He lived a while in a vegetative state then died.

friend of my father:  Took his son's small displacement dirt bike for a spin down the country road he lived on.  They found him drowned face down in a shallow ditch, no helmet.  Autopsy showed a blow to the head followed by drowning.  There were only 2 or 3 inches of water in the ditch.

my hair cutter's husband:  Failed to negotiate a curve at night on his Harley, no helmet, found dead of head injury.

myself:  Grudgingly bought and wore a helmet when it became law, two weeks later I punched out the windshield of an Oldsmobile with my head.  The helmet was barely scuffed and my head was OK (the rest of me was badly beat up).

Kid I knew in school:  Avoided a collision with a car but ran off the road under a guy wire which caught him under the neck and broke it.  He died and in this case a helmet made no difference.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 03/31/17 at 06:22:58

I say, always wear a helmet.  However, it is not the government's business in forcing it on anyone.

Back in the late '60's, I had a friend whose life was saved by wearing a "full front face" helmet, before they were even available by the general public.  He had to order special from BELL.  He was a flat-tracker.

I ordered mine right after that, and now of course, they are everywhere.

Too many close friends have been either killed or near-killed by not wearing a helmet.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #12 - 04/01/17 at 19:34:02

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #13 - 04/02/17 at 02:16:40

Did both of them go inside the pickup?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 04/02/17 at 10:33:14

That looked like a staged stunt to me, I'm throwing the red bull$hit flag on that one !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:38:00

General CategoryThe Cafe › Should we wear helmets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.