Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Should we wear helmets? (Read 432 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Should we wear helmets?
Reply #30 - 05/05/17 at 17:50:19

The more I ride the more I seem to gear up. Started about 5 years ago wearing shorts, flip flops, skull cap. Graduated to a nice half helmet and jeans and sneakers, and now I wear (even in the summer heat) a full face HJC, soft armored jacket, full finger gloves, pants, and usually boots (sometimes sneakers). I have been very fortunate and haven't had to use any of my gear for its intended purpose, but I don't want to be ill prepared if and when my day comes.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #31 - 05/05/17 at 18:51:12

Helmets are compulsory here in Australia so it's never been an issue for me. I recently switched from a full face helmet to an open face. I reckon it's so much better - even just to breathe the sea air around here while riding, and even with the goggles, earplugs, and mask on a cold morning! Having said that, I just got back from a highway run, into a headwind. Literally had to hold my helmet on! Was rather stressful. Still love the open face helmet though.

Stew, as for the other gear, I always 'suit up' as tempting as it is to wear a t-shirt in the summer. All it took was for me to watch a few videos on YouTube of guys coming off at slow speed to see what road rash looks like, even after a minor fall - no thanks!

I generally wear a padded jacket, Kevlar jeans, gloves, and a pair of workboots. I also recently bought a quality Dririder jacket for winter, after got caught in a storm on a four hour ride a few weeks back. The wind chill factor through a wet jacket was unbearable.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #32 - 05/05/17 at 19:01:21

I have had countless close calls and ONE hard accident.  I thank God that I was fully protected that day; more than usual.  I always ride with a helmet but had it all on that day. I KNOW that if I had not been I would be in a wheel chair today instead of riding again.

IP Logged
Kenny G
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com The
Singles Club...LOL

Robson Ranch, Denton, Texas
Reply #33 - 05/05/17 at 20:39:50

If you have to convince another rider why he should wear a helmet you are wasting your breath.

Kenny G Undecided

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 05/05/17 at 21:09:52

Ever since this topic was started I been telling myself , what a dumb discussion!!!

There are no arguments at my end.

WEAR A HELMET

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #35 - 05/10/17 at 13:26:39

A DOT approved helmet is one that passes a test to withstand an impact at 15 mph. Will it protect you in a high speed crash ? I doubt it. Much would depend on what and how and if your head hits a solid object.That being said I've always worn a helmet and won't get on a bike without one, I have had a few times were my bikes have gone down at slower speeds(turning a corner in the dark and hitting loose gravel) and had my head contact the pavement rather hard and suddenly,and was more than happy that I could pickup my bike and continue on my way without major injury. no one should ride without protecting ,at least their major organs, most of which are in your torso ,except the most important,your brain.Road rash on your arms and legs is nasty and painful but generally won't kill you.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 05/11/17 at 04:41:01

There are alternatives to wearing a good helmet.

Helmet.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 05/11/17 at 10:07:10

That is so wrong , they didn't even poke any holes in it ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 05/11/17 at 10:11:41

Ruttly wrote on 05/11/17 at 10:07:10:
That is so wrong , they didn't even poke any holes in it ! Grin

They didn't want to loose anything in case of a fall.

WWW   IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #39 - 05/11/17 at 12:47:53

They thought, he might get a bug in his eye ... better safe than sorry!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #40 - 05/11/17 at 13:10:33

Boy (partially) in the Bubble?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #41 - 05/11/17 at 23:03:41

Maybe the numbers look good for those without helmets because they're driving slower and more careful ,knowing that they have a better chance of death if they do have an accident, I know I would.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #42 - 05/12/17 at 02:23:06

batman wrote on 05/11/17 at 23:03:41:
Maybe the numbers look good for those without helmets because they're driving slower and more careful ,knowing that they have a better chance of death if they do have an accident, I know I would.

Without a helmet........I probably would never leave my driveway.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 05/12/17 at 09:22:33

Gloves, welders shirt, chaps, and helmet.
I have three healed up cracks in vertebrae. A helmet would have been fatal.
I totaled a bike, broke the end off the case, bent the crankshaft on a curb. No helmet, never bumped my head, four days in hospital from the hematoma where I broke the handlebars.
The healed cracked vertebrae were found by the MRI after I bent the cab corner of a small pickup with what Would have been my face had I not been wearing the HJC modular. I hit hard enough to fold the chin protection in enough to split the upper lip for a few stitches and the strap shoved in on my throat hard enough to make swallowing hard for weeks.
So, in the off chance that you land on your shoulder and side of the head, a helmet could be the end of you. Otherwise, I think it's your friend.
Could it get hung up on Something and kill you? Possibly. But, with the experience I have and everything taken into consideration, I want full coverage.
Studies have shown that the face is a high percentage point of contact in a crash. It's not as cool or cool Looking to be dressed for the slide instead of the ride, I know,, and maybe I'll get some genuine riding pants I can wear shorts under, so I can strip them off and go fishing in comfort.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rich8363

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boynton Beach FL
Reply #44 - 05/12/17 at 19:00:12

I always wear mine. No matter how short the trip is.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:19:03

General CategoryThe Cafe › Should we wear helmets?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.