Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not? (Read 339 times)
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not?
03/27/17 at 23:23:47

First post! I have a 2014 LS650 (Canadian badge) that was sold NZ new and has only had 1 PO. The bike has currently 21780km on the clock. I bought it from the dealer that sold it new, with 17600km on the clock. They insist that it has been regularly serviced by them and has never missed a service interval. I have had some questionable experiences regarding this but they have done some free work for me to check things that I was concerned about and they always go by the book.

I have gone back to them numerous times with concerns about the amount of noise the engine makes once it heats up. It is dead silent when I first start the bike but once up to full operating temperature the noise from the engine is quote noticeable. The noise speeds up and slows down with the engine, but doesn't really increase in volume much. Seems to be more prevalent at certain RPMs. If I were to characterise the noise I would say "ticking" and "sewing machine". The noise seems to originate/sound the loudest near the front of the head on the left side of the bike. It has always seemed to come from there. It doesn't sound malicious, clunky, or like anything is knocking. The dealer insists that the bike is running fine and that the noise is nothing to worry about and normal for this type of engine.

The dealer did a valve adjustment for me when they were checking the spec of the cam chain, and said they loosened one of the exhaust valves as it was a wee bit too tight. The noise seemed louder, and to start happening earlier in the warm-up after this. Interestingly though, it actually seems quieter once full operating temp has been reached (i.e. after 100kph for an extended period).

I have been to a separate motorcycle mechanic/dealership that also checked my concerns about the noise. They were convinced it was cam chain noise, and pulled the cover and told me the tensioner was out 18mm. I have never verified this and there has never been any knocking or concerning sound coming from down near the tensioner assembly. I have also just got in contact with Verslagen about getting a replacement for this once the bike reaches the 24000km service interval.

So the crux of this: How much noise is normal for this engine, and for air-cooled singles in general? Is the noise I'm hearing normal or should I be scrambling to find the problem? It has always been like this and over the xmas period I rode the bike over 1000km with several full day rides, and the noise has never changed as a result of riding.

Cheers in advance. I have attached a picture of the bike for general interest.

20170131_165128_-_Resized.jpg
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Re: Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not?
Reply #1 - 03/28/17 at 00:28:10

I would say "ticking" and "sewing machine"

That's exactly how I describe the sound of a normal S40! Dyna muffler improves the sound to the extent that it actually sounds like a proper motor sickle. I think I've got a before and after around somewhere.

http://picosong.com/pAP7/

http://picosong.com/pAcq/

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #2 - 03/28/17 at 00:52:57

Hot dang that Dyna muffler sounds good!

That's exactly how I describe the sound of a normal S40!

Well, that makes me feel a bit better about it. Less so about being a pest for the dealer... haha

Dyna muffler improves the sound to the extent that it actually sounds like a proper motor sickle.

One of my friends used to have an LS650 and he put a knock-off dyna muffler on it. I'm pretty sure it has no baffles and did about the same as just taking the muffler off  Grin. Sounds pretty cool though.

There is also a guy in NZ who makes aftermarket bolt-ons for the LS650. I have no idea how they sound though so I'm a bit hesitant for the amount he wants for one.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 03/28/17 at 02:51:50

If by cool you mean obnoxiously loud and anti social yeah, kinda. I found a local Harley work from home guy who puts after market exhausts on Harley's and he had a stock of brand new Dyna's for like $100 a pair, bought a pair and sold one to another S40 owner for $40. It was the latest one that has a built in heat shield. Frankly I couldn't believe how good it sounds, you certainly do not need to remove the baffle, apart from reducing the power.

Also it's amazing how different the engine can sound just by putting your head in slightly different positions, sometimes you can hear the ticking sound real clear and moving your head a bit and it's gone! Plenty of threads on the Dyna install, plus it's a really good looking muffler, it makes a massive difference getting rid of that 7kg ugly monstrosity it comes with, including that fugly heat shield. Some people bolt it straight on some people like myself used an angled adapter, which I had made in a muffler shop.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 03/28/17 at 02:54:01

Are you in jafaland or near it, you could listen to mine and compare.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/28/17 at 04:45:56

If you have a full coverage helmet, it can collect the sound of the valve train and make it sound far louder than it really is....the opening around your neck is pointed at the cylinder head.

Also the headlight bucket and speedometer can rattle and make you think the valve train is going to come apart - and it does tend to rattle in sympathy with the engine vibrations (but the engine being cold/warm doesn't come into play).  When you hear the clicking put your hand on the speedometer or headlight bezel and see if the sound goes away (if you can't reach the headlight put some tape on the bezel and glass temporarily).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #6 - 03/28/17 at 13:21:13

Also, if you do have a speedo rattle, and you fix it, next you'll be wondering what the other sound is .... it's the sound of the speedo cable whirring  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/28/17 at 13:45:52

Being that you're out 18mm, putting on a verslavy will quiet it some because when it's hanging out that far it can rattle against the case.
And the chain tension is a little lower.

The valve noise will vary depending on how you've got them adjusted.
The range for you metric people is .08 to .13 mm.
There are 2 on the same rocker and if they are not identical will give you more noise than if they are.
Also a loose adjustment will give you more noise, too tight no noise... no noise is bad!
And it's normal for the noise to change when warm as the clearances will change due to the expansion rates between aluminum and steel.

WWW   IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #8 - 03/28/17 at 14:23:07

Are you in jafaland or near it, you could listen to mine and compare.

Nah sorry man no where close. I tried to listen to my friends one but his "muffler" is so darn loud I couldn't tell.

IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #9 - 03/28/17 at 14:25:09

Being that you're out 18mm, putting on a verslavy will quiet it some because when it's hanging out that far it can rattle against the case.
And the chain tension is a little lower.

I sent you an email about buying one actually. Do you still use the camchainclub address?

I'm also quite sure the speedo and headlight aren't loose. I was going over the externals of the bike the other day and didn't notice anything amiss.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #10 - 03/28/17 at 14:27:14

The Dyna muffler does sound great. Smiley Like a completely different bike.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 03/28/17 at 14:33:50

Lanz wrote on 03/28/17 at 14:25:09:
I sent you an email about buying one actually. Do you still use the camchainclub address?

Yes, will respond later.

WWW   IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #12 - 03/28/17 at 14:50:03

The Dyna muffler does sound great. Like a completely different bike.

Does anyone know if someone makes pre-made adapters? Or if there are plans for said adapter? My welding sucks but I suppose I could make one.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #13 - 03/28/17 at 15:29:50

IP Logged
Lanz
YaBB Newbies

New Zealand
Reply #14 - 03/28/17 at 16:20:51

Yeeeeah only problem with ordering stuff from overseas to NZ is you often end up paying more in shipping than the item is worth... But I was thinking about ordering a tachometer from them so maybe once I have a bit of spare cash and a list of parts I will snag something. Thanks for the pointer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:28:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Noise: What is typical and what is not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.