Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
1993 Savage Balky Running (Read 150 times)
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

1993 Savage Balky Running
03/23/17 at 16:33:32

Working on a fella's 7500 mile '93 that he parked 3-4 years ago. He said it it was running, but didn't say how it was running. When he brought it in the battery was dead as a door nail (since replaced). Was expecting the worse in the carb but it really didn't look all that bad. Fully cleaned, reassembled, oil/filter changed. Also replaced the fuel and vacuum line.

Bike starts right up, but is really balky at about 1/3 throttle, but then picks up and runs good....... it's just getting through that 1/3 throttle that's rough.

Diaphragm looked good when I had the carb apart.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 1993 Savage Balky Running
Reply #1 - 03/23/17 at 16:37:03

Did you oil the cylinder before you started it?
Try setting the petcock on Prime.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/23/17 at 17:18:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/17 at 16:37:03:
Did you oil the cylinder before you started it?
Try setting the petcock on Prime.

No, I did not; probably should have..... but we're past that point now.

Pretty sure I tried it in the PRIME position, but will go through that exercise again tomorrow.

Gonna try a pix again. First post wouldn't let me (new subscriber).

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/23/17 at 17:27:56

Actually, now that I think about it, the bike was "balky" about 1/3 rd throttle (no load) when running it off an auxiliary fuel source and vacuum blocked off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 03/23/17 at 18:21:24

Well, There's Yer Problem, the gas is shut off!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 03/23/17 at 19:00:09

how about ,float level, plugged screen under the float valve seat, tuned the fuel adjustment screw at about 800 rpm ( so you can hear it better).placed the brass washer on the main jet before reinstalling?Was the aux. fuel tank vented?do you have the idle set to 1100 rpm?what size jets are you running ?is the muffler stock/air filter clean and stock?don't see the needle valve/white spacer(plastic washer).Where are you ? what is the elevation?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 03/23/17 at 19:28:36

Might wanna set up a fan if you're gonna run it sitting still

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/24/17 at 03:53:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/23/17 at 18:21:24:
Well, There's Yer Problem, the gas is shut off!

Grin

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/24/17 at 04:31:14

batman wrote on 03/23/17 at 19:00:09:
how about ,float level, plugged screen under the float valve seat, tuned the fuel adjustment screw at about 800 rpm ( so you can hear it better).placed the brass washer on the main jet before reinstalling?Was the aux. fuel tank vented?do you have the idle set to 1100 rpm?what size jets are you running ?is the muffler stock/air filter clean and stock?don't see the needle valve/white spacer(plastic washer).Where are you ? what is the elevation?

Float valve filter is clean
Float level looked good
Adjusted mixture screw in and out (set @ 2-1/2 turns out now)
Main washer sitting next to float valve in pix, and installed
Jets: dunno know, didn't look, assume stock
Aux tank is vented; is designed for bike work
Air filter stock and clean
Muffler stock (as far as I know)
Idle is fine. Raising/lowering had no effect
Chesterfield, VA, ~236' ASL
I did not dis-assemble the main jet needle, so don't know anything about a white plastic washer/spacer.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 03/24/17 at 08:38:54

gbyoung,I would based on mileage and first owner, assume that the jets are stock also.That should be 52.5 idle jet and base on 2 1/2 turn out is OK,I would not go to three turns as that is where it might fall out ,and  you would need to use the next largest. the stock main is a 145 and maybe OK too(you may want to go to a 147.5 or 150 but you can determine this later), but these bikes are tuned lean from the factory ,I would suggest you do the spacer mod as it sounds like your going lean when the slide starts opening, also these bikes run leaner from sea level to about 1000ft ,and lifting the needle jet will enrich the mid range an should get rid of the stumble.( Are you sure it's a 93? these bikes weren't sold in the U.S.A. between 89-94)If it's a five speed it should be 95 or newer .4speed 86 or 87.

« Last Edit: 03/24/17 at 10:10:05 by batman »  

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/24/17 at 14:36:12

Actually, he is not the first owner.

Reading another thread discussion regarding the slide, needle, and nylon spacer, decided to take a look on the bike I'm working on that has a (presumed) carb issue. To me, it does seem like it is in an area where the needle position might be causing the problem. The present owner (he bought it used) has not done anything to the bike, but he also hasn't gotten back to me on how the bike was running when he parked it several years ago..... or WHY he parked it.

And FWIW - I have worked on a lot of bike carbs, and (to me) this has got to be one of the most bass-akward way of positioning the needle in a slide. Not sure if this was Mikuni's brainchild, or if Suzuki spec'd it this way for the bike. Too many components for such a simple task.

Regardless, the slide in the bike I'm working on and it's components:

I've got the dimensions of the nylon spacer and will hit a local Ace tomorrow and see about picking up some washers so I can raise the needle up to try and make this puppy run better.

And for S&G's, even tho' I was 99% sure it was working correctly, I put my MityVac on the petcock to test it's operation. Holds a vacuum and allows fuel to flow just fine.

Washers tomorrow. I never want to modify an existing part if I don't have to.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 03/24/17 at 18:28:23

Did you look at the neck of the bike to see year  made?different years have different jets and jet needles that's why I asked.

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/25/17 at 04:38:00

batman wrote on 03/24/17 at 18:28:23:
Did you look at the neck of the bike to see year  made?different years have different jets and jet needles that's why I asked.

No I didn't. Was done for the day out in the garage when I saw that, but will check it out later this a.m.

IP Logged
gbyoung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/25/17 at 07:49:29

First off, the bike was made on 09/95:

Second, the local hardware I usually go to is not Ace-affiliated; it's local. The bad thing is they did not have the #4 brass washers - however - they did have some 3mm metric washers that fit the bill perfectly. They fit over the needle with no slop, fit down in the bore of the slide, and look like they're going to work great. Four (4) of them stacked up are almost the thickness of the nylon spacer. Gonna start with three (3) and see what happens.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 03/25/17 at 08:07:51

Sounds like your on the road to success !Let us no how you make out.the jet sizes I gave you are correct for that year.3 washers should do the job.don't toss the plastic washer ,as it can be sanded down ,to say2/3 the thickness ,or1/2. If you try to use 2 of your washers you'll be less then 1/2 the thickness of the stock one and may be to much.From Versy's measurements below,2 washers would bring you to 50%

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:37:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 1993 Savage Balky Running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.