Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Printing a new white spacer?! (Read 179 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Printing a new white spacer?!
03/23/17 at 07:31:01

Ok, so I'm trying to do some white spacer modding (of course), and it occurs to me that I have free access to a bunch of 3d printers, and that this might provide me a free source of new spacers of any size I want.

My only real concern before trying it is that the resultant spacer won't necessarily be all that strong since it will be at least partially hollow.

So, two questions:
1. How much "squash" does the spacer have to deal with? Would semi-hollow plastic stand up to the task?
2. Does anyone know off-hand exactly what the measurements are for the internal/external diameter of the spacer?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Printing a new white spacer?!
Reply #1 - 03/23/17 at 07:42:17

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/23/17 at 08:14:58

Not a good place for a science experiment.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #3 - 03/23/17 at 08:19:18

Now I'm getting muddled...
I took it apart down to the needle yesterday (for the first time), found what I thought was the white spacer, and it was much narrower than that (I have some #4S washers from home Depot, which did not fit where I thought they should go) - the white thing I found fits down into a hole that is only just wide enough for it to fit.

I assumed that the "S" washers I had were not right, but now I think I was looking at the wrong thing. So that's a completely different problem...

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 03/23/17 at 08:20:39

Why would you? Ace is the place ! buy the washers! your making a mountain out of a mole hill!The spacer is a white donut shape and plastic, mine has a "cast" line running around the outside at the center.You can just sand it down ,and put it back in.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #5 - 03/23/17 at 08:50:20

batman - probably a generational thing here! My nearest Ace is about half an hour away, and if I were to design and print some little plastic discs, it would take less time start to finish to make them than to buy them. Turns out the ones I have from HD are the same dimensions either way (so what does the S in #4S mean?) so the point is moot. Now the issue is, since I know the washers are the correct size, I failed to actually find the white spacer when I took the carb apart yesterday. I didn't see anything that could be replaced by those washers.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/23/17 at 09:42:05

Go to www. RON AYERS, site,pump in motorcycle ,Suzuki ,your year ,model ,and look at the exploded view of the carb .That will show you the washer and where it goes ,you can even order one,if you wish. part # 6- $4.14  It must be the PO took the the spacer out .Do you really think you can design an print these in an hour?Are you sure the plastic you use will put up with gas?Is an hour drive to much time out of your life to get right the first time?I don't know what the S stands for ,the thickness is the most important measurement,stack 4 of them and see if they measure 1.10 mm. /0.10 inches , if they do use 3 if you're above 1000ft in elevation ,2 if your between 1000ft and sea level.

« Last Edit: 03/23/17 at 12:47:09 by batman »  

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 03/23/17 at 11:45:35

Is the media used in those 3D printers compatible with petroleum? Undecided  I'm guessing that the "S" stands for stainless, but I could be wrong. Lips Sealed

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #8 - 03/23/17 at 12:19:03

True - quite probably not gasoline-friendly! Although I think at least one of our printers can print in metal...
It's just a disc with a hole in, right? It's a simple geometric shape with defined dimensions - it would take about 5 minutes to design it and print it. Anyway, since (a) the material may not be right and (b) the washers I have are actually the right size, I can drop this line of reasoning.

Looking at the exploded diagram (and the one in Clymer's, which is the same?) I think I did find the white spacer yesterday, but I guess I just don't see what to do. The spacer is narrower (smaller diameter) than the photo on the walkthrough and fits into the hole at the bottom of the tube. If I replace it with washers, they won't fit into the hole and the plate won't screw down properly. Undecided

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 03/23/17 at 12:44:01

I think you must have the wrong size washers. If they are #4 machine washers they will pop right down in the hole in the top of the slide under the plate. And fit the needle also.

They are pretty small washers.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 03/23/17 at 12:57:15

Alex ,when you take out the two small screws to remove the plate the next thing you see should be the spacer ,sitting on the top of the needle jet .You remove the white spacer and insert 2or3 washers.

« Last Edit: 03/23/17 at 19:23:28 by batman »  

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #11 - 03/23/17 at 16:40:45

There's some money shots in this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1482904222/45

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 03/24/17 at 04:55:26

AlexW wrote on 03/23/17 at 12:19:03:
The spacer is narrower (smaller diameter) than the photo on the walkthrough and fits into the hole at the bottom of the tube. If I replace it with washers, they won't fit into the hole and the plate won't screw down properly. Undecided

I bought #4 brass washers once - and the outer diameter was too bit to fit in the hole.  The proper #4 Machine screw steel washers work fine.......You should get some!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #13 - 03/24/17 at 12:41:44

I made the pilgrimage to Ace and got what I think are the right washers. I'll give it another try tonight.
At least after the first time all the bolts are Allen-heads now, so it's easier to get to things  Smiley

IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #14 - 03/25/17 at 07:55:45

Update: the washers from Ace didn't fit right either, but while there I thought ahead and got sanding supplies too, so I ended up sanding about 1/3 off the spacer and reinstalling it.

Then I went for a ride, and might have been witnessed emitting a string of involuntary "BWAAAAAH"s when rolling on the throttle...

Good God but it's amazing what getting rid of a tiny bit of plastic can achieve...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Printing a new white spacer?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.