Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surprise piece from head cover. (Read 115 times)
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Surprise piece from head cover.
03/17/17 at 23:28:48

Hey all! I just had a surprise issue pop up while working on the head cover plug replacement/fix.

If you look at the engine head cover diagram on bikebandit or any other site that will have all the parts labelled, part number 6 is this tiny metal cylinder that I had no idea was a separate part from the head cover.

IMG_1721.JPG
  IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Re: Surprise piece from head cover.
Reply #1 - 03/17/17 at 23:38:43

But the metal cylinder can also be stuck in the engine.

IMG_16672.jpg
  IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #2 - 03/17/17 at 23:40:10

So what wound up happening is when I was practicing putting the head cover on the engine for when I apply the sealant after installing the new plug, the piece was stuck to the head cover, popped out, and rolled into this hole right here and went ALL the way down....

IMG_1717.JPG
  IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #3 - 03/17/17 at 23:45:31

I couldn't fish it out with a magnetic extension tool because it went, like I said, ALL the way down. So far down that I had to take off the clutch cover (where you will have access to the cam chain tensioner that goes bad on our bikes).

I needed to change the oil anyways and check my cam chain tensioner, so I decided to drain my oil and take the cover off and lo and behold, there it was sitting waiting for me to give it a dirty look...

IMG_1729.JPG
  IP Logged
eastsidedirtykid
YaBB Newbies

Push it to the
limit!

Reply #4 - 03/17/17 at 23:48:00

So moral of the story is there are pieces that you might have never thought about, but they will teach you a lesson if not careful! When I attempt the head cover plug fix next time, I will definitely be putting the pain in the.. metal cylinder on the engine and not the head cover so this doesn't happen again! Or you can have the clutch cover ready to be pulled off when doing this fix just in case it happens to you a few times haha.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #5 - 03/19/17 at 08:13:13

That's one of the rabbit holes Oldfeller is always talking about! They raise their ugly head at the wrong moments!

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 02:55:03

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › Surprise piece from head cover.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.