MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Noob to it all
Reply #15 - 03/18/17 at 20:42:03

PackMan

Suzuki did a great job on 95% of the LS-650 , and we have identified the few mistakes Suzuki made .   We  have easy cures for the "OverLooked 5%" , these bike are good for over 100,000 miles with a very little help  ... one of my two bikes is a LS-650 !  

You've stumbled on a jack pot , so welcome aboard !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Kruzader

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stockon, CA
Reply #16 - 03/19/17 at 00:46:15

Welcome.

I can first hand justify everyone's comment here. Close to a year ago I was in your shoes, brand new to it all. The members here are awesome, there is tons of information. If you are not mechanically inclined, that's not a problem - neither was I.

I have to tell you that I dropped my bike the first ride on my drive way. Broke a rear signal light. With that said, and considering that you don't have some... there are tons of aftermarket ones you can buy. They are inexpensive if you break them, but you cant compare them to OEM lights. Light are the first thing other vehicles will notice you with.

As for the pegs, you can hammer them, but for less than 40 bucks I found a solution to new ones.

And finally, do the petcock... almost everyone here will mention it, and in the year I been here, lots of the stalling problems people come in are due to it. Is a $25 dollar and 45 min job.

What else... let me see.. oh yea... HAVE FUN!

When you need something and have limited resources be creative.

2005 Boulevard S40 - Elevation 13'
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 03/20/17 at 03:52:15

If you replace the turn signals with aftermarket or LED ones - don't go chap and buy the Chinese stuff off eBay.  They are not bright enough to be seen in the daylight, and will not get the attention of the person driving behind you.

Get used factory ones if you can - they are the only ones that will bolt on without modifying the mounts or wiring.

Same for the tail/brake light if you ever decide to change that for something else - good ones are DOT approved.  Don't go cheap!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Packman
YaBB Newbies

idontknowshi+

CLE
Reply #18 - 03/20/17 at 19:10:25

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the tips!

I finally got down and personal with the bike for the first time tonight and darn.  I know it's been dropped on both sides and all but when I got close I swear half of this bike is rigged together with screws you'd either dry wall your house with or other ones that you'd build a kinect model with.  Hell the seat is missing both screws and the positive terminal is striped out. I know it could be worse and that's what I'm scared of cause I haven't even began to look at the stuff that's actually important (I'm guessing the handle bars are super glued on).  Well I didn't pay much for it but I didn't expect all this.  Is there a master guide to tell me which size screws and bolts I need to find?  I'd rather get the right nuts rather then just slap it together with screws from a bookshelf. [img][/img]

-- I <3 cheeseburgers --
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 03/20/17 at 19:29:13

You'll be able to save money by going into the industrial part of town to the industrial nut and bolt supply.
If wrong bolts are stuffed into places, you might need to chase the threads with a tap.
If you have one bolt that fits in other places, use it to buy the others.
I'd be just getting it running before any cosmetic stuff.
Check the wiring out.
Has it been parked outside for years?

A Dent Puller? Electric? Or drill and screw?

I'd hafta see the cam chain before I even started it. Clearly owned by a real maintenance minded guy. The valves may never have been touched.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 03/21/17 at 02:41:40

And.....don't attempt to fire that thing up without lubing the cylinder/piston first.

After years of sitting, the piston/cylinder will have lost nearly all of the oil that was clinging to it.  One member on this forum started a bike up that had been sitting 3 years, and it scored the piston/cylinder waiting for the oil to start flowing.  Buy some Sta-Bil Fogging oil and spray it in the spark plug hole to get things lubed before you attempt to turn the engine over or start it. You can get it at any Big Box or Auto supply store.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sta-Bil-22001-Fogging-Oil-12-Oz.-Aerosol/32926613

And don't change the oil/filter before getting it running, as the new filter will have to fill up with oil before any will start flowing to the engine.  It is better to start it with the old oil and get the parts lubed, then change the oil filter.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 03/21/17 at 05:12:35

If it's been on its side since last it ran the cam lube tub is empty. Popping the valve cover s and putting some assembly lube on the lobes might not be stupid.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #22 - 03/21/17 at 05:19:27

Packman wrote on 03/20/17 at 19:10:25:
I know it's been dropped on both sides and all but when I got close I swear half of this bike is rigged together with screws you'd either dry wall your house with or other ones that you'd build a kinect model with.  Hell the seat is missing both screws and the positive terminal is striped out. I know it could be worse and that's what I'm scared of cause I haven't even began to look at the stuff that's actually important (I'm guessing the handle bars are super glued on).  Well I didn't pay much for it but I didn't expect all this.  Is there a master guide to tell me which size screws and bolts I need to find?  I'd rather get the right nuts rather then just slap it together with screws from a bookshelf.

My inclination for a bike like that is just to tear it down and rebuild it one bolt/nut at a time - but I've been wrenching on my own bikes since I was 10 years old.

Most of the exploded views of a bike provide manufacturers part numbers rather then "M8x25" so you can't go to your local ACE or Lowes and pick up replacement hardware. THAT'S IT! Go to your local ACE or Lowes - they have a small metric section. You'll find that most of the hardware is in the M5, M6, M8 range. Put similar nuts and bolts in a ziplock bag, label where they came from, then match them up at the store. My ACE even had a gauge (labeled board with bolts and nuts on it) on the wall where you can determine the exact diameter and pitch.

This bike is a paint can shaker, so get yourself some blue loctite for final assembly.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:32:36

General CategoryThe Cafe › Noob to it all

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!