Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Oil change gone wrong
Reply #30 - 03/16/17 at 11:04:22

or these:

Ditto that !

These things also seem  to work miracles !

Or, you may want to go the "Old World Way"

One suggestion, if everything you've tried won't work.

The oil drain plug on my bike is 14mm.
Never mind how much that is in inches, it's 14mm, period.
Get a file and file away a little where you can reach in order to have one flattened side, and file away on the opposite side, so you end up with a... flattened round head.

If you file away enough, you can slip a 12mm or a 1/2" wrench and give it a twist.

Last - see if you can find a Torz nut with the same pitch as the 14mm nut.
Nuts and bolts will get rounded out, Torx? Never !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 03/16/17 at 13:31:15

I can't wait to hear what approach gets tried.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #32 - 03/16/17 at 14:05:46

And which one ends up working ....  Cool

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #33 - 03/16/17 at 14:15:31

A few ideas don't leave much room for a Do Over. Might wanna start with an idea that Can be Amped Up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #34 - 03/16/17 at 15:19:39

Ruttly the caveman advises Hammer & Chisel , would have been done long ago for cheap !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #35 - 03/16/17 at 18:15:36

What about the candle and cigarette lighter idea that was going around the web? Heat the plug with a cigarette lighter, have a wax candle handy and get the plug warm enough to allow the candle to melt and theoretically wick down the threads. Then apply your Vicegrips, cold chisel, or what ever else you have to loosen the plug. I've seen this on the web, so it HAS to be true.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 03/16/17 at 18:55:42

It may be true , but it might be difficult to get the candle to drip UP to the drain plug ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #37 - 03/16/17 at 19:03:55

Uh, not that I doubt the persons aptitude, but just in case, I mean, you are sorta doing things in reverse, as you are wrenching upward, so...
Just a reminder, righty tighty, lefty loosely  Grin

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #38 - 03/17/17 at 03:33:45

jcstokes wrote on 03/16/17 at 18:15:36:
What about the candle and cigarette lighter idea that was going around the web? Heat the plug with a cigarette lighter, have a wax candle handy and get the plug warm enough to allow the candle to melt and theoretically wick down the threads. Then apply your Vicegrips, cold chisel, or what ever else you have to loosen the plug. I've seen this on the web, so it HAS to be true.

I have a tough time believing this is a corrosion issue.  The bolt has a sealing washer under the head......and there is a couple of quarts of oil on the inside of the engine that most likely has the threads well lubricated.

Likely this is just one of those times when the previous fellow cranked the drain plug waaaaaay too tight.  When I bought my used Savage and changed oil the first time - I had to put both hands on the wrench and wedge my foot against the tire to get enough pull to loosen it.  The drain plug only needs to be snugged down to prevent a leak - it does not hold the engine together!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #39 - 03/17/17 at 08:15:35

I went and looked.. no way way to drill from the end.
An Impact socket isn't as hard as chrome.
With proper orientation and clearancing to fit , a roll pin with a piece of piano wire filling it would probably get it.
Talking about fitting a predrilled on one side, socket, drill through, roll pin then drive piano wire in the roll pin. Lots of details to get it right.

Or, get a nut and get it welded
Or, try a funny looking pipe wrench.

I can't see winning it without laying it down.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #40 - 03/17/17 at 17:00:29

There's so many ways to skin this cat. The welded nut is almost certainly the easiest, quickest most reliable way. Just get someone who knows how to mig or tig (properly, you know?) and have at it. 5 minutes work.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #41 - 03/17/17 at 19:36:30

Get a dremel with a thin cutoff tip on it and slot the head turning it into a screw.
 Catching the edge of the bolt with a cold chisel and hammer might work if there is enough room.  

« Last Edit: 03/18/17 at 10:00:01 by Ed L. »  

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 03/17/17 at 22:27:55

Ruttlys'  advice is best!  Technique!  KISS!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #43 - 03/18/17 at 00:39:25

Maybe a larger diameter would be approachable with a chisel. It's in cast aluminum and will need WAILED upon to create a rotational force greater than the torque required to goober the plug with a wrench.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 03/18/17 at 10:21:28

Silly Texan you know how sometimes your bending the ratchet handle trying to loosen a bolt and it don't move , so you drag out your air compressor & hose & impact gun & socket and then pull the trigger and it wasn't even tight it came spinning right off. Granted it's primitive way of doing it and you must have your technique down, I rarely use my chisel as a chisel , its used to show my fellow mechanics how easy it is to remove damaged drain plugs then when it fails I drag out the welder and weld a nut on it ! I think if it was warmed up he might get it with a external extractor too ! But hammer/chisel first cause it quick easy & effective!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:38:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change gone wrong

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.