Turn signal relay (Read 231 times)
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Turn signal relay
02/22/17 at 06:32:16

I accidentally swapped some wires on my rear turn signals last night and now my signals no longer flash.  

Three of the four wires on the stock harness are black with red dots. The two with white lines and red dots on them are the grounds.  The solid black with red dots is the power for the left turn signal and the green with red dots is the right.  I accidentally used the left signal as the ground for the right signal.  Oops!  It actually flashed, but there was not power to the left signal. "Duh! You have two grounds dummy!"  So I fixed it and now I just get sold indicators on the proper side when I use the turn signals.

Time to replace the relay. Unless of course some wise person knows of a fix.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Turn signal relay
Reply #1 - 02/22/17 at 06:45:51

Try hitting relay with the handle of a screw driver a few brisk hits , that don't work replace it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #2 - 02/22/17 at 07:10:26

That's what I'm thinking.  At least I have a couple extras (I think).  I just picked up a bunch of parts off my buddies brother-in-law.  He did a build for someone and had a bunch of leftovers.  (I need to get that crap in the classifieds.)

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 02/22/17 at 13:42:29

If your in a hurry a car flasher works (don't use the heavy duty for four ways) they're round an won't fit in the stock square rubber holder very well.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 02/23/17 at 21:07:49

Well, I have two extra relays.  Unfortunately, neither is the one I need.   Must be older style than mine.  I got another one on the way.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 02/26/17 at 09:56:38

ohiomoto wrote on 02/22/17 at 06:32:16:
I accidentally swapped some wires on my rear turn signals last night and now my signals no longer flash.  

Time to replace the relay. Unless of course some wise person knows of a fix.

Unless you can find a replacement relay cheap, you can actually repair a relay.  I have done so successfully for many years.  Usually the problem with a relay is simply corrosion.  The other thing is a broken wire inside.  When taking it apart, be sure not to break any of the wires, as they are very small and can easily be broken.  Look at the contacts and see if corrosion is present and then clean the contacts, then wash them with some sort of cleaner.  I used plain lacquer thinner on a light rag or on a piece of cardboard.  I test relay using a battery, and then if it works re-assemble using epoxy or some such thing as JB Weld.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 02/26/17 at 15:48:38

accidentally swapped some wires on my rear turn signals last night and now my signals no longer flash.  

I'm betting you're looking at your own wiring job. I'd be looking for power to the flasher, and to the base of the bulb socket, then I'd check the ground.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 02/26/17 at 18:08:12

I'm gonna sort of hijack this thread. Is there a plug-n-play relay that is LED friendly?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 02/26/17 at 19:29:57

Gary , The average little round aluminum automotive flashers(some are plastic too) come with different part numbers , each part number flashes at different speeds for different circuit loads. Think I have 5 or 6 for testing purposes I just keep changing them until I get flasher speed I feel is good. But with led lights you might need to add a resistor(s) to fool the flasher. I prefer old school lights that have no such problems. I think one of my bike has a led lic.plate light just because it fit the area I had to mount it.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #9 - 02/27/17 at 02:08:35

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/26/17 at 18:08:12:
I'm gonna sort of hijack this thread. Is there a plug-n-play relay that is LED friendly?

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-u...

I don't run LEDs (used to), but this works and plugs right up (unless they changed the product since 2011 when I bought it)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 02/27/17 at 09:32:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/26/17 at 15:48:38:
I'm betting you're looking at your own wiring job. I'd be looking for power to the flasher, and to the base of the bulb socket, then I'd check the ground.
-----------------------------

No issues with the wiring.  Just the dummy plugging them together.  Smiley

Everything has power, just now blinking, winking or flashing.  The relay is clearly stuck.  

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #11 - 02/27/17 at 09:37:36

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/26/17 at 09:56:38:
Unless you can find a replacement relay cheap, you can actually repair a relay.  I have done so successfully for many years.  Usually the problem with a relay is simply corrosion.  The other thing is a broken wire inside.  When taking it apart, be sure not to break any of the wires, as they are very small and can easily be broken.  Look at the contacts and see if corrosion is present and then clean the contacts, then wash them with some sort of cleaner.  I used plain lacquer thinner on a light rag or on a piece of cardboard.  I test relay using a battery, and then if it works re-assemble using epoxy or some such thing as JB Weld.
-----------------

I got a replacement on the way for $20.  But I may take a stab at getting the old one apart.  Mine is sealed pretty well so I don't know if I will be able to get the cover off without breaking it.

Looks like this one.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #12 - 03/01/17 at 07:51:34

Replacement relay showed up yesterday and it solved the problem.  In the mean time I taped up my wires in pairs so while I can still mix them up, I can't mix them up as bad as I did the last time.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 03/01/17 at 08:12:44

I use a cut-off wheel on my Dremel...
Usually just clean the contacts and glue it back together.
I got several in my car like that.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 03/03/17 at 12:45:16

Serowbot wrote on 03/01/17 at 08:12:44:
I use a cut-off wheel on my Dremel...
Usually just clean the contacts and glue it back together.
I got several in my car like that.

I do the same, but sometimes I will use a small cable tie to hold together and also use some JB weld.  I have only had one relay in my lifetime I couldn't repair and save that $20.00.  Of course, it took me about $40.00 worth of time to do it!!!  But. . . I have my ego to feed!! Grin

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 00:09:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal relay

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.