springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Re: Oil change gone wrong
Reply #16 - 03/15/17 at 13:42:24

+2 on Dave

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/15/17 at 15:28:02

Dave wrote on 03/15/17 at 10:48:47:
First......go get a new drain plug bolt.....you are going to need it.

You might try riding the bike so the engine is warm before you try to remove it....the aluminum expands more than the steel, and it mght be a bit looser.

If I was in that position and a "quality" set of vice grips didn't get the job done....I would weld a nut on the end of the bolt.  Lay the bike on the side, and arc or mig weld on a large nut.  Have a wrench handy and loosen up the drain bolt before it cools off.  If you don't have a welder, take your new drain bolt, a large nut and matching wrench (best if the nut does not have shiny plating on it), to a local weld shop, or mechanic who has a welder, and get them to help you.  No hacks or inexperienced guys......somebody who has been around a while.

OK - a couple comments. Regarding stewmills posts, I tried one and three already. I like the idea of what I see in his second picture -  but I don't know what that is. I feel like I could make something like that work with enough leverage and tapping with a hammer. Maybe drilling into the bolt and using a set screw with whatever this tool is. Looks like a could maybe make something like this.

My neighbor is a welder (unsure of his experience as it is not his primary profession.) He is concerned about welding around the aluminum. This will be my last resort.

God this is a stupid thing to have to deal with.

What do you guys think about these:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low/p-00952...

All the auto parts stores have bolt removing sockets with teeth, but then it is a clearance issue. Anyone think these would work at an angle - with my 6" extension?

ugh...gonna explore something like that second photo that stewmills posted. Just gotta find out what the hell that is.

Yeah I'm a newb to the savage, but not a newb all together. And not cheap - just thrifty (and broke).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 03/15/17 at 16:01:49

If you can get a nut on the drain plug And get a drill in on it from the end and drill between the nut and drain plug, the drill bit needs to be small enough to let you shove a small bolt in.
Clean that mess up good, carefully lube the case, lay saran wrap on, JB Weld the nut with the two bolts on.
And load the nut in the same direction you will be turning it, let it cure. Hang a good drop light near it for heat. No LEDs,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #19 - 03/15/17 at 16:01:54

That's what I was thinking about. Still, Dave's method is a sure thing, and probably a lot less money too.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 03/15/17 at 16:21:54

The cost of a long 1/8" bit, two pieces of 1/8" metal, and JBweld? Gotta buy and fit the nut regardless.
Lay it over,hafta drain gas first.
Welding is not without risk.
Probably Otta pull the battery.

I'm still thinking about putting flats on the drain plug and putting vise grips on it. Done right, you could get a Crescent on it.
Of course, not everyone has tools for that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hoodlum333
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 03/15/17 at 18:32:54

yeah, I already put flats on it and torqued the hell out of it with my vise grips. I don't know what this bolt is made of, but it rounds VERY easily - like butter. Maybe there is a model of Irwin locking pliers that is better suited, I have tried my curved jaw and long nose - those are the two types I own. Maybe I am incorrect in thinking that Irwin is premium and there is a better, harder, stronger set of vise grips out there.

I even put edges on a 16mm craftsman socket (17mm bolt), tapped it on the bolt securely, and clamped the vise grips on. The teeth tore through the socket and the bolt didn't budge. WTF over?

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #22 - 03/15/17 at 19:05:58

I sometimes cut slots in stripped hex head bolts and use a large flat head screwdriver to loosen them. Might work here. You'll only have room to use just the blade without the hacksaw.  Wink

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 03/15/17 at 19:10:10

Are you sure you're going the right way?
put the wrench on the front side and push backward.   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #24 - 03/15/17 at 19:14:26

A lot of people have a hard time finding the oil drain plug. Are you sure it's the right one?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #25 - 03/15/17 at 19:26:24

Quote:
I even put edges on a 16mm craftsman socket (17mm bolt), tapped it on the bolt securely, and clamped the vise grips on. The teeth tore through the socket and the bolt didn't budge. WTF over?

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but the above has me confused. If you managed to get a socket  onto the head of the bolt securely enough so that your vise grips slipped on the socket not the bolt, why didn't you try to turn the socket with a ratchet or a breaker bar?

Try warming up the engine case some with a propane torch, Keep the flame on the aluminum and keep it moving.Just warm it, don't get it too hot. Get a handle on the socket and give it a couple of sharp (not hard) raps with a hammer and see if the bolt breaks loose.

Of course if the socket won't grab then it's time for more drastic measures.

EDIT: I just went out and looked at my bike. The drain plug on mine has a 14mm head, and there is just enough room between the bolt and the frame to get a 1/4 inch drive socket and ratchet or breaker bar in there. A 17mm might not fit unless you have a really short socket. I don't have a 1/4" 17mm to try, and a 3/8' drive socket and handle won't fit.

So my suggestion might not help.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #26 - 03/15/17 at 19:42:49

In the plumbing department they have a tool called a basin wrench. It sits atop of a solid metal tube that allows you to get up into tight spaces to put on, take off, faucets, for the most part. By flipping the jaws over, it goes from tightening or loosening. You might try that, but instead of reaching up, as if you were on your back, trying to put a faucet on from under the sink, which would put the jaws at a 90 degree angle, you leave it the jaws straight up,and attach it from the side, to the nut...
It has gripping jaws like a pipe wrench that get tighter as you exert more pressure on it....
But as tool go, the cheap knock offs are useless as the metal is of poor quality.
I have used this tool with a cheater to get off faucets that had been on for decades....

Here is a link to the tool. This is a sears one, not sure of the quality, but just to give you an idea of what I am talking about

http://m.sears.com/empire-9-1-2-to-17-in-basin-wrench/p-00951665000P?sid=IDx0...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #27 - 03/15/17 at 20:54:45

hole across the head for a long hardened roll pin, wrench. done wrong this could rip the head off the bolt. or: drill up through the bolt and use an easy-out.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #28 - 03/15/17 at 21:20:45

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #29 - 03/16/17 at 05:28:06

So we are at that strange point of advice giving. Several good methods have been given, and one method got several responses that it was the way to go (welding a nut). The OP even said that his neighbor has welding skills. And here we are with the OP retrying failed methods.

The correct solution will take 15-20 minutes (that includes riding the bike over there) and will cost you a beer and some funny stories. You risk tearing what is left of the head off of that bolt with the other half measures.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:37:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil change gone wrong

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!